Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    ^ basically my experience actually. I was really casual, even though I was interested in dc characters and their lore, then the new 52 came along and I felt I had a neat jumping on point. And yeah him no longer wearing the trunks made him seem less lame to younger me (while I still prefer him trunkless, I have gained an appreciation of his classic look since then). So I really got into it for a while. Problem with it though is that part of the appeal of serialized comics storytelling to me is the continuity and rich history. I liked being able to go back to older comics and read them as stuff that happened to the same guy I read in the new comics. So it stung a lot to see Nupes bite it, I was invested in that version, but I was interested in a Superman with more than 5 years of history. Which is why I was initially kinda glum at first when reading Reborn, I was already starting to favor PC Superman, having gone back and read some of his older stuff, but I didn't want N52 Superman to be entirely wiped from history (even though I thought it might have been a necessary evil). So I was definitely a happy camper when the merger created such an inclusive timeline. I didn't get everything I wanted (President Luthor, direwolf Krypto, shirt and jeans origin, Kon-El, etc), most of the broad strokes of both N52 and PC were more or less there. So yeah, I'll always appreciated N52 Superman for being that doorway, to a character I've come to enjoy. (though a Marvel Now style non-reboot relaunch might would have achieved a simlilar effect.)
    Yeah, this is exactly me experience lol, we are in the same boat here.

This was my Superman so i liked almost everything.

1. Loved the action comic Morrison run
    2. Dire wolf krypto (awesome design and story how he was always there)
    3. The new costume being nano mites that come on i just liked it
    4. He was more aggressive
    5. The new 52 kryton and Jor el and Lara (them in the new 52 was just amazing no doubt)
    6. His fortress of solitude
    7. That he started his own media outlet (want clark to get a promotion i mean even make him achor or something, even peter parker was a CEO)

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    This was my Superman so i liked almost everything.

1. Loved the action comic Morrison run
    2. Dire wolf krypto (awesome design and story how he was always there)
    3. The new costume being nano mites that come on i just liked it
    4. He was more aggressive
    5. The new 52 kryton and Jor el and Lara (them in the new 52 was just amazing no doubt)
    6. His fortress of solitude
    7. That he started his own media outlet (want clark to get a promotion i mean even make him achor or something, even peter parker was a CEO)
    If they want to go with a fresh out of continuity idea, him starting his own media deal wouldn't be bad to make a part of it.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Good memories... Superman was very important for me, more than batman, something strange of one bat-maniac.

I need one adult Damian for equal my admiration for n52 Superman.. He is only a kid/teenager and I prefer him than Batman.

For know I have Kingdom Come Superman as replace..
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-02-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Amazing Member

I miss N52 Superman... I like current Superman, but N52 Supeman was just great. I feel like we were all growing with him, while current Superman is our steadfast father.

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post
    I miss N52 Superman... I like current Superman, but N52 Supeman was just great. I feel like we were all growing with him, while current Superman is our steadfast father.
    this

is it so hard to understand something as simple as this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Don't remember if I've contributed to this thread yet, but here goes a few:

-Action Comics Vol2 Issue #14 is, without question, the most perfect issue of main stream Superman.

-Action Comics Vol2 Issue #14's back-up is my all time favorite Superman back-up feature.

-Action Comics Vol2 issue #13 narrowly losses out on the best single issue award, but remains one of the best examples of how to approach modern Superman story telling.

-Action Comics Vol2 issue #7 contains one of the best and most awe inspiring Superman moments that manage to still wow me with a character that's nearly 80 years old. It also contains one of my favorite examples of Superman's core cast members trimmed down to a perfectly concentrated sequence of events. No one has done as good or better since (and I'd even say before).

-Action Comics Vol2 issue #16 is one of the most perfect and beautiful celebrations of Superman myth that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It is without equal in it's mixture of comprehensiveness and directness. Words fail me when it comes to that issue.

-Action Comics Vol2 issue 0-18 make up the absolute best Mxy story ever put to paper. I'd even say the ultimate Mxy story.

-Action Comics Vol2 issue #0 is probably my favorite day one Superman story ever. It's a clever twist on the concept that of the first day on the job, but it also gets right down to the unmistakable point of Superman that normally takes most writers dozens of issues to properly articulate.

And probably my highest praise of Morrison's New 52 run is that the thinking, driving idea behind all of the above stories should NEVER EVER be lost when it comes to writing Superman. The ideas in those stories ARE Superman. Full stop. I don't care if his trunks are on the inside, outside, or on his got damn head, the push and thinking behind those stories should be hardwired into the work. The current books aren't bad--they even rise to greatness on occasion--but they have yet to tap into that same primal Superman-ness that drove the above issues.

Look past the Jons, Lois', Dianas, line filled suits, trunks, blue boots, and all manner of continuity shake-ups. [ALL of that is dressing. What matters--what allows me to call those 19 issues of Action Comics some of the single best comics featuring Superman that I have EVER read is the fact that the writer--Grant Morrison--made sure to never lose sight of the main idea of telling a Superman story from start to finish.
    I had to look up the issues again. #14 was with The Multitude and the backup with Neil Degrasse. I can't decide which one was my favorite, which issue or which scene. Rebuilding the poor neighborhood, even thought there was a lesson there. Revisiting Jonathan in the past. Calvin: 'You fight like molasses!'. 'I'll fight for them!'. The backup with Krypto's story and rescue. Mxy's story. Krypton, Lara, Jor-El.

It was a gem, it was a jewel. My God. What a loss. The only thing lacking was a better established training period. However we wouldn't have gotten the Jeans and T-shirt period if he was fully formed at 20.

The greatest Superman origin ever for me.
    Last edited by dumbduck; 08-04-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Although I didn't like New 52 Superman for the most part and regard him as the worst canon version of Superman, I can admit there were some good moments with this version. Mainly from Morrison and Sholly Fisch's Action Comics run. Superman repairing an apartment building damaged during his fight with Metalek, wrestling Xa-Du's control over his Ecto-suit through sheer willpower, figuring out how to defeat the Multitude, revisiting Pa Kent on the night the Kents died and sacrificing a chance to save the Kents to instead save the astronauts on Mars. At least when Morrison wrote a rougher and brasher Superman it was part of a character arc that was intended to bring the character full circle. Too bad many writers chose to keep Superman as a brash and aggressive jerk instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Although I didn't like New 52 Superman for the most part and regard him as the worst canon version of Superman, I can admit there were some good moments with this version. Mainly from Morrison and Sholly Fisch's Action Comics run. Superman repairing an apartment building damaged during his fight with Metalek, wrestling Xa-Du's control over his Ecto-suit through sheer willpower, figuring out how to defeat the Multitude, revisiting Pa Kent on the night the Kents died and sacrificing a chance to save the Kents to instead save the astronauts on Mars. At least when Morrison wrote a rougher and brasher Superman it was part of a character arc that was intended to bring the character full circle. Too bad many writers chose to keep Superman as a brash and aggressive jerk instead.
    What you call Brashness, I call having a SPINE and not being a pushover. In any crisis Superman is the one people look to to hold the line if he has to step on a few toes along the way so be it.

Reading these comments, I think I'm gonna go back and re-read Morrison's action run. It was really one of my favorite books. Wish he could have stayed on longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    What you call Brashness, I call having a SPINE and not being a pushover. In any crisis Superman is the one people look to to hold the line if he has to step on a few toes along the way so be it.
    I'm not going to argue this here because I know you have a strong bias towards New 52 Superman and that Clark acting like a jerk is a sign of confidence for you. I wasn't looking for an argument anyway, this is supposed to be a thread about people's favourite New 52 Superman moments. Suffice to say I fundamentally disagree with you on New 52 Superman's brashness being a good thing about the character.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 08-06-2017 at 03:36 AM.

PLEASE... This is N52 Superman character moments..

LVenger with I donīt like him but(if you want comment here)... is enough... The next part of your comment is insult one character in one topic of appreciation..

This is not a Topic for HATERS(the character is out) or the next are problems with his fans, you are insult him and his fans in one topic of N52 Superman.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-06-2017 at 03:49 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Reading these comments, I think I'm gonna go back and re-read Morrison's action run. It was really one of my favorite books. Wish he could have stayed on longer.
    I totally think you should. And ideally I would've loved for Morrison's time with the main continuity version of the character to rival that of the time he spent with Batman. But once you write something as perfect and definitive as All Star Superman for the character, you sort of get the ultimate green light to drop the mic and burn it like Hendrix would a guitar fire. That said, I'd never in a billion years say no to Morrison working on any version of Superman for any amount of time. I'm still holding out hope that he'll work on the post-Rebirth Superman outside of the obligatory Action Comics 1000. Dude needs to show the world what this current version can do when you take the training wheels off. This coming from someone who's really into the current stuff.

As an aside, I think my one and only misgiving about what Morrison decided to do for his run on Action was placing that particular story at the head of a line wide reboot. It was a little hard for (some of not all) those unfamiliar with Morrison's style to latch onto. Morrison himself even remarked in a closing interview that had he gotten the chance to do his Action run over, he'd have gone with a more loosely tied issue by issue approach that accumulated into an overachieving story (similar to All Star, as he put it in the interview). So they would've acted more as easily digestible, largely self contained bites like a cartoon show rather than a "do it for da trade" modern comic. And honestly, I think would've worked wonders for newer fan and for the creators after him. Would've likely cut down on the intimidation factor of an "uninitiated" getting into a Grant Morrison comic.

If you're interested in a Superman comic like this then I invite you--and anyone else interested--to check out Mark Millar's run on Superman Adventures, if you already haven't. It is--and I say this with unwavering resolve--one of the best runs on the Superman character ever. Period. Superman really thrives best when you can just jump into a story with him.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Krypto as a large Kryptonian wolf was so fantastic. Kal-El's familar. A little too interesting for many mainstream comic writers to grab onto.

Superman vs 10,000 angels on Mars. I have given that issue to so many friends as a way to get them into the character. Rags Morales gives the definitive modern Superman, there. "We have to do the impossible"

All the stuff with the Legion!

Superman's tiny vessel- Ha la Kal-El! Ha la!

Superman getting the military to rocket him into space to stop the Collector of Worlds (this would have been great on film in MoS)

Superman's fight with the demiruge, and his triumph over a tyrant god.

There's so much. There's a few in Lobdell's run too.

Superman benching the weight of the Earth for kicks.

Walking out on the mainstream media and going to go do real journalism on his own?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-06-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Pretty much the only real gripe I had with Morrison was his ability to tell such a complete story. That's a fine thing when you write a finite character. But it's like a really well worded yet closed ended question, in turn it stifles follow up. The more prolific writers, even like Pak or Lobdell, might not have hit the same highs but probably could have sustained longer than they were allowed.

And this isn't his fault, dunno who to accurately blame, but the books never fired simultaneously. That 2013 stretch with Snyder, Soule, and Diggle basically around at once was imo the best chance. Though of course Snyder just had a short story to tell. Before that, I think a less restrained Giffen could have rode alongside Action.