Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's pretty obvious that his dad is his hero based off issue 1 of Superman. The look of pride he has on his face while looking at his dad do his work. Or the salute he gives his dad when reports to help clean up.

Edit: Superdad is actually the one who "looks up to" and honors Nuperman. Issue 1 even starts with him thinking about him at his grave and saying Nuperman will be here in spirit. But Jon seems to be Superboy because whats to be like his dad.
    I think it would have been great if it was Jon and he was honoring Superman. He even has his get up when he started in AC with Morrison.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post

Another montage of moments in video form.
    Well done. Using the music from Batman v Superman worked here.

Yeah, Nuperman had some good moments (nearly all of them from Morrison, Fisch,Pak and Soule) , and it's a shame DC chose to not just utilize what they had ,but frankly that's been their problem since 1986 honestly.

I certainly feel the pain of what you are all going through in losing this guy. However you aren't alone. People felt the same in 1986 when that version ended and again in 2011 when that version ended. This new version is something else entirely as he's not really Pre Flashpoint Superman, only a version very close to that version,and odds are in 5 to 10 years time (assuming this isn't just all going to end with Nuperman returning and somehow coexisting, )this version will go away too and people will be upset when that happens. I've been a Superman reader for close to 27 years now and it's really all just part of the lay of the land, and truth is, Superman is Superman is Superman. Just certain details change and certain aspects are played up while certain ones are placed on the back burner.

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble. And thanks for the great thread. Let's keep it positive and focus on the good times and not start bashing other versions.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    That was kinda backwards writing though.
    How exactly is this backwards writing? Superman is honoring the memory and sacrifice of his "brother" by filling his shoes. He can relate to how New 52 Clark must've felt at the end, and understand the amount of courage it took to do what needed to be done because he was there before. His unique ability to almost completely empathize with and understand where NU Clark's head was at gives him a unique and hard to replicate appreciation for him. Now he's inspired to come out of the shadows and reignite that the flame.

As for Jon? When you're a little boy you're dad is, for all intents and purposes, Superman to you. He can do anything and everything. The lights go out? Your dad can fix it. You toy is broken? Your dad can fix it. He's this big Mr fix it that happens to look like you. Now for Jon, his dad actually is the honest to god Superman. Why on Earth wouldn't he be his hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think it would have been great if it was Jon and he was honoring Superman. He even has his get up when he started in AC with Morrison.
    That would just be sorta strange to me when Jon's dad is Superman right here in front of him. But I'm almost 100% sure Clark will take Jon to the grave site to honor him.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    How exactly is this backwards writing? Superman is honoring the memory and sacrifice of his "brother" by filling his shoes. He can relate to how New 52 Clark must've felt at the end, and understand the amount of courage it took to do what needed to be done because he was there before. His unique ability to almost completely empathize with and understand where NU Clark's head was at gives him a unique and hard to replicate appreciation for him. Now he's inspired to come out of the shadows and reignite that the flame.

As for Jon? When you're a little boy you're dad is, for all intents and purposes, Superman to you. He can do anything and everything. The lights go out? Your dad can fix it. You toy is broken? Your dad can fix it. He's this big Mr fix it that happens to look like you. Now for Jon, his dad actually is the honest to god Superman. Why on Earth wouldn't he be his hero?
    I gave you my explanation and I don't want into get into any pre new 52 nor Jon further. This is for our new 52 Superman end of the day. So I'd prefer to focus on that.

I gave you my explanation and I don't want into get into any pre new 52 nor Jon further. This is for our new 52 Superman end of the day. So I'd prefer to focus on that.
    That's more than fine by me. I just didn't understand what you meant when you said "backwards writing" given the set up. We can just leave it at that.

I am sure they took the Flash/Superman encounter from new 52 JL that they omitted in JL War into consideration here. But we had a good showing for Superman who is based on the new 52.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    From Superman #40. After superflaring, Superman finds himself temporarily powerless, but able to enjoy food and beverages as a human for the first time. Batman asks him to buy the gang dinner:

To me, this was a golden era for Superman. No era is perfect, but this character is the Superman I really like.
    It's funny Romita wrote the most entertaining issue during Geoff's Superman run. This is the team camaraderie Johns JL didn't built enough on that we got here. These guys are our Clark's "brothers" because they know him and would put their life on the line for him. And well Diana was not his "sister" this time... but was so great to see these dynamics of them just hanging out.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    They could actually make it that Clark was just transported somewhere else.
    If then, it wasn't the real deal who died in #52? This is kind of getting confusing.

I thought him playing with the kids in the park was among the best moments that came out of Truth, d^#% I miss Pak!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    If then, it wasn't the real deal who died in #52? This is kind of getting confusing.
    As of now, yes. The proper Superman of this world died, and a Superman of a parallel world has taken his place. That's the line as it stands now. But there's likely some twists and turns to come in that logic. But for now, before any revelations come for good or bad, operate on that sense.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Okay, I will just watch and stop asking so many questions.

Lazy writing I think. Whenever they try to push Superman out of the story it feels it's because they don't know how to use him while giving others their time to shine. The he's too powerful bs comes up all the time. It's like Zack Snyder's lame argument why to kill SM and make Bats assemble the League. It'd be easy for Superman...was his argument??? Morrison and Waid's JLA always used the JL well without having to isolate Superman. Marvel juggled all power levels to great effect in their movie verse. I don't know what is DC's problem with SM.
    Its not the power level. DC has written mixed power levels perfectly fine since the 40's. Even Johns' Justice League, which I only consider "decently good" at its best, does that.

DC's problem is Superman and their inability to understand the central themes and core ideas. Its why they write him out of the big Events, give him idiot powers with idiot drawbacks not supported by continuity or common sense, and constantly keep trying to "reinvent" him, never realizing the problem is not the character himself, but them.

But then, Superman is all about restraint, and DC, maybe American society as a whole, has a hard time grasping that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.