Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I personally think Wally West should have another nickname. DC is obviously trying to push Barry Allen as The definitive Flash and he deserves it, there's nothing wrong with that. I just think Wally calling himself The Flash as well conflicts with that. And no, I'm not being a hater.
    Okay, everything in quotes is more an exaggerated, purely emotional rant on my part and not in any way, shape or form, and objective argument, but:

"Barry deserves it? Was Barry in (funnily enough) 'The Return of Barry Allen?' No, he wasn't, because the point of the greatest Flash story of all time was to move Wally out of Barry's shadow and into a new frontier, one that expanded to include a successful spin-off book and a superhero family that was larger than the Batfamily for a time. Was Barry in 'Blitz'? 'War of the Rogues'? 'Ignition'? 'The Dark Flash Saga'? No, he wasn't. Barry doesn't deserve to be the 'definitive Flash.' No one gets that title, because the mantle is more important, and marketable, than the man. There was nothing wrong with Barry's return. But there's something deeply stupid and creatively counter-productive about shutting out an entire generation of fans so you can relive your childhood, and thus hijack a successful and expansive franchise into a smaller one because marketing deals with lowest common denominators."

Okay, that whole thing is more emotive and subjective than actually argumentative, but my point stands; trying to nail Barry down as the definitive Flash hurt a strong franchise, and I strongly feel he doesn't "deserve" the top spot just because his origin comes before Wally's. There's a part of me that kind of wants to see TV!Barry get lost in time and Wally cast as his successor for an entire season, just so the general public can understand how there's actual depth to comics mythology, not just the same rote formula that Silver Age fanboys are addicted too.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I personally think Wally West should have another nickname. DC is obviously trying to push Barry Allen as The definitive Flash and he deserves it, there's nothing wrong with that. I just think Wally calling himself The Flash as well conflicts with that. And no, I'm not being a hater.
    No, you're just furthering the whole "my Flash is better than yours" routine we're so used to seeing.

Flash is fine. Flash it is. (And if it isn't, it should be).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

DC Rebirth literally happened because Didio's stubborn "Barry is the bestest and definitive and iconic Flash" push backfired. An entire legacy died because of this. Just let it die. DC was wrong, Flash franchise will never work well with one gun.

Barry's the Flash in the Tv show, and is going to be the Flash in the movie. Regardless if they also call Wally the Flash, Barry is going to continue to be seen and pushed as the main Flash. Wally is my Flash, but I get the argument of wanting Wally to be called something else.

Retired

I thought what original Wally West fans wanted was the survival of that character. Not the costume, the powers or the codename-but the man himself and his back story. That's why I suggest, chaniging the costume, powers, codename--to set him apart from Barry Allen and the second Wally West--so that character can continue to exist and have his distinct identity from the other two.

But I think I was mistaken and what these fans want (some of them) is to somehow reverse everything so we can go back to the way things were thirteen or twenty years ago. That's not going to happen. I can understand that desire to put things back the way they were, when the comics I loved were being made, but I also know that's a pointless dream. It's not going to happen.

DC made a bet that the most accessible version of the Flash for the TV shows and movies would be Barry Allen. And they were probably right. Original Wally West was swept aside as a consequence. I'm sorry for those fans, but this kind of thing happens in comic books. It's not real life.

Lee & Johns stressed several times that other mediums no longer have huge impacts on their books anymore, that's one of the goals of Rebirth. Who cares about which Flash is in TV show, which one is in comic books? Thor is a woman in Marvel, and everything is going just fine over there.

I think we need to move past this "who is more iconic" debate and embrace everything about Flash's core, which includes Wally being an equal to Barry. That's really what ruined the comic books in the first place. People who watch shows or movies don't read comics so their opinion on the matters doesn't hold too much weight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    DC made a bet that the most accessible version of the Flash for the TV shows and movies would be Barry Allen. And they were probably right. Original Wally West was swept aside as a consequence. I'm sorry for those fans, but this kind of thing happens in comic books. It's not real life.
    No, they made a bet that Barry's name and backstory but with Wally's personality would be the best version of the Flash. They kind of cherry picked traits from both characters in the comics to make the TV show.

And while I doubt Wally on the show will ever replace Barry, cause I don't think the show could survive without Grant Gustin in the lead, we've still got the movies. Since both Wally's are getting an equal push in the comics, they might want to balance them out in other media as well. So I think there's a chance of seeing ginger Wally enter the DCEU as a sidekick, and then become the Flash a couple movies later, in time for the 3rd or 4th Justice League film.

I think a Wally West series, even a duo series with the other Wally, would be a lot of fun. I suppose it all depends how well he's received over in Titans and The Flash.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Let's start him off here and see how that goes.

http://community.comicbookresources....ed-Speed-Force

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought what original Wally West fans wanted was the survival of that character. Not the costume, the powers or the codename-but the man himself and his back story.
    All of these things are, in different degrees of importance, part of the character. His status in the universe is as important as anything else; the reason this whole argument has started, really, way back in 2008 is because of this notion that since both characters had to be set apart, Barry should get the cake and Wally whatever scraps that are left. Both characters, however, are pretty much even wen we look at the building blocks of the Flash mythos.

It's not like we never had similar characters running around before at the big 2; we petty much always do, at any moment in time. This problems just "exists" because people talk about them as if they were an "oh, so serious thing", but at the end of the day all you have to do is having the character exist, tell stories with him from time to time, and that's it.

Dan Didio was a big advocate of this non-redundancy policy way back at the time of Infinite Crisis, and that was when most legacy and derivative characters started to vanish (Jesse Quick, Cass Cain, etc and, ultimately, Wally) while some others died so the legacies could take cover (Vic Sage, Ted Kord, Ray Palmer, etc).

Pretty much all of those moves backfired, short or long term, one way or another. And the New 52 was based on "ok, let's not give the readers the option" which, again, was not that great an approach in the long term. In the meantime, Marvel went "**** it" and has Miles and Peter swinging together and being awesome.

Rebirth, in a lot o ways, was DC realizing that having half (or so) of any given characters' fanbase either hating or indifferent to the company was not really good business practice; so we get Ryan Choi and Ray Palmer, Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes and, most importantly - since this was the poster boy for all that was good and lost and etc - Wally and Barry.

This whole Rebirth initiative would feel hollow without Wally in it, and now it would also feel dishonest if we took so much from Wally that he's not Wally anymore. So Johns, smartly, took just enough (the costume, a chunk of history) for the character to still be recognizable. No more that was taken from Barry or any other at the time of the 2011. And that was the right way to go; it may work or it may not, but at this point there's absolutely nothing to be gained in making Wally unrecognizable. NuWally can attest to that.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Great post, Bohemia. Really sums up the state of legacy characters at DC. Credit where it's due, they're learning from their mistakes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    No, they made a bet that Barry's name and backstory but with Wally's personality would be the best version of the Flash. They kind of cherry picked traits from both characters in the comics to make the TV show.

And while I doubt Wally on the show will ever replace Barry, cause I don't think the show could survive without Grant Gustin in the lead, we've still got the movies. Since both Wally's are getting an equal push in the comics, they might want to balance them out in other media as well. So I think there's a chance of seeing ginger Wally enter the DCEU as a sidekick, and then become the Flash a couple movies later, in time for the 3rd or 4th Justice League film.
    That's assuming that there will be a phase 2

He'll get a solo but the only question is when.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    That's assuming that there will be a phase 2
    Obviously.

BANNED

Worst thing DC did was bring back barry JUST to kill the whole flash family of characters.yes having barry back is nice,but at what expense? We were so close to getting a flash spinoff book back then,sad to think it might be awhile before that is even a thought again?

Oh and its funny how DC keeps pushing barry in everything (tv,movies,only flash comic,the flash in the JL),but wally was so popular they had to bring him back,and wrapped a entire company wide event around him.maybe they should stop pushing so hard and just let things happen organically.

Wally now has the "remember me" touch,cant wait to see him running around zapping the whole DCU lol.

Bring on the speedforce skills
    Bring on the conquest of linda park