Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Nightwing #11 Preview/Discussion

http://www.blastr.com/galleries/excl...w-nightwing-11

Pigeon and he sidekick Defacer is just funny, Stallion though...

Huh, never thought Gordon would still be a lieutenant by the time Dick was Robin, but I guess it fits the compressed timeline (curse you Manhattan!).

The idea of Dick having a love interest who's a former sidekick to a Supervillain actually sounds pretty fun, particularly if she hates his guts as Nightwing because of their history .

Though you'd think Pigeon would have a sidekick who was bird themed .

Ah, good ol' Stallion .

Astonishing Member

Pigeon Person. Pigeon Person!

Of all the Hostess Ads villains, they brought back Pigeon Person! And gave her a sidekick.

As they say in comics: BWHA HAA HA HA HA!

(I now really hope they bring back some of the other Hostess Bat-foes. This is just tooo good!)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Though you'd think Pigeon would have a sidekick who was bird themed .
    It makes sense for her sidekick to be Defacer though, if you consider that as Pigeon Person she's shitting all over everything.

NGL, this preview's really got me looking foward to the iss.

Didn't even realize she was from an ad. LoL, found it
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-19-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

That is both freaking hilarious AND freaking awesome!

On other points, I really wish To was the regular artist. Love his work.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Very interesting! I'm still thinking I'm going to buy this arc - I dislike Fernandez's art, so I'm probably not going to add it to the pull list - but Seeley's wacky love of continuity and strong writing skills make it worth it when the art is awesome.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

I love how this preview has both Batman in the trunks and Dick confirmed to have been Robin as a child again.

Dick's love interest being a villain's sidekick is fantastic! Also, PIGEON PERSON! Hahahaha

I have no problem with making Stallion gay, but man was that heavyhanded. Even though Seeley has great ideas and has had a fantastic run on Nightwing so far, something I've noticed is that he really struggles to convey social themes and humor from his dialouge. Raptor's motivations were handled perfectly, the Parliament of Owls and their members were completely one dimensional.

Now that I think about it, the best thing that I can compare it to is Ben Percy. Using buzzwords like "sheeple" and "patriarchal icons" in this issue with Pigeon Person (and also with Raptor, who had the same voice when he assaulted Bruce Wayne) as a means of political commentary really reminds me of all the criticisms that I hear levelled at Percy and the first couple issues that I read of his run. It's a shame that he doubles down on the politics of his comics because even though there is nothing wrong with well executed messages in comics, I think Seeley's writing would benefit without as much of them.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I have no problem with making Stallion gay, but man was that heavyhanded. Even though Seeley has great ideas and has had a fantastic run on Nightwing so far, something I've noticed is that he really struggles to convey social themes and humor from his dialouge. Raptor's motivations were handled perfectly, the Parliament of Owls and their members were completely one dimensional.

Now that I think about it, the best thing that I can compare it to is Ben Percy. Using buzzwords like "sheeple" and "patriarchal icons" in this issue with Pigeon Person (and also with Raptor, who had the same voice when he assaulted Bruce Wayne) as a means of political commentary really reminds me of all the criticisms that I hear levelled at Percy and the first couple issues that I read of his run. It's a shame that he doubles down on the politics of his comics because even though there is nothing wrong with well executed messages in comics, I think Seeley's writing would benefit without as much of them.
    I think Seeley is a bit better at it because its a sham villain and a pair of joke villains, as opposed to Green Arrow who should sound like an educated/serious liberal, not a 21 year old who follows politics on reddit.

I think Seeley made Raptor buzzwordy to purposefully make him seem less authentic. This makes more sense when we realize a lot of it is a mask for his personal vendetta against Dick/Bruce related to Dick's mom.

Then with pigeon person and stallion, they're total jokes. I'm okay with them being heavy handed.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed the first issue, the second looks just as good!

Astonishing Member

She's the Pigeon now...not Pigeon Person.

I am sold on this book; I can't wait for the next issue.

This looks really good seriously though Stallion's name is Randy and he commits violence against men cos he's gay!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This looks really good seriously though Stallion's name is Randy and he commits violence against men cos he's gay!
    Nah, he commits violence against men because the patriarchal, heteronormative society in which he's been raised has left him clenched up inside like a fist, unable to be vulnerable or to accept that he's gay (or he could just as easily not be gay, but...).

Toxic masculinity's a theme he's come back to a couple of times during his run and I don't expect him to be unsympathetic in his treatment of Stallion.
    Last edited by HellHere; 12-21-2016 at 03:14 AM.