Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

My LCS was super packed, line outside and all. Basically just took my boys to get some stuff and lucked out that they kinda had a fast lane for the kid books. Double lucked out that the only two books I really wanted (Tick and Atomic Robo) were in that section. I think they were the last ones of those too,so triple lucked out?

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    Just got back from town.

Forbidden planet, which is the UKs big chain comicbook shop, was absolutely rammed. Nothing was left (free comic-wise) and I heard people were queuing out the door in the morning. People were manically scrambling through boxes of last seasons comics, buying anything with a name they vaguely recognised. It was pretty bad.

But we went to a smaller shop down the road. It was moderately quiet and they had all the free comics still in stock.

I picked up the Marvel one and entropy, which was an independent comic I hadn't heard of but liked the artwork. I wanted to get the Street Fighter one, but didn't see it anywhere. I was also strangely tempted by Worlds of Aspen, another series I hadn't seen before. The cover was kinda girly but the artwork looked awesome. Regret not picking it up now even if it wasn't something that was aimed at me. Anyone else pick these up?
    I was at Travelling Man in Manchester and the line was completely gone when I left around 10:30am. Meanwhile at Forbidden Planet the queue was 100 strong or so. I don't get it, TM is the far superior shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
    I was at Travelling Man in Manchester and the line was completely gone when I left around 10:30am. Meanwhile at Forbidden Planet the queue was 100 strong or so. I don't get it, TM is the far superior shop.
    I agree. And I don't mean to sound like a total elitest but I think its because the more casual comic book fan knows about places like Forbidden planet.

A lot of fans who just watch the films or enjoy comics from a distance are going to know about big main stream places like Forbidden Planet, but more underground places like Travelling Man and privately own shops they aren't going to know about.

When we went to our smaller shop there were a lot of people picking up subscriptions and actually browsing. In Forbidden it was a massacre of people grabbing any old thing that was cheap and looking if it had avengers or xmen on the cover.

BANNED

I agree. And I don't mean to sound like a total elitest but I think its because the more casual comic book fan knows about places like Forbidden planet.

A lot of fans who just watch the films or enjoy comics from a distance are going to know about big main stream places like Forbidden Planet, but more underground places like Travelling Man and privately own shops they aren't going to know about.

When we went to our smaller shop there were a lot of people picking up subscriptions and actually browsing. In Forbidden it was a massacre of people grabbing any old thing that was cheap and looking if it had avengers or xmen on the cover.
    Now Now..lets not say that, that sort of thing happens ONLY in big stores. I know for a fact it happens in smaller stores too,

BANNED

Just got back from town.

Forbidden planet, which is the UKs big chain comicbook shop, was absolutely rammed. Nothing was left (free comic-wise) and I heard people were queuing out the door in the morning. People were manically scrambling through boxes of last seasons comics, buying anything with a name they vaguely recognised. It was pretty bad.

But we went to a smaller shop down the road. It was moderately quiet and they had all the free comics still in stock.

I picked up the Marvel one and entropy, which was an independent comic I hadn't heard of but liked the artwork. I wanted to get the Street Fighter one, but didn't see it anywhere. I was also strangely tempted by Worlds of Aspen, another series I hadn't seen before. The cover was kinda girly but the artwork looked awesome. Regret not picking it up now even if it wasn't something that was aimed at me. Anyone else pick these up?
    What city are you from, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Now Now..lets not say that, that sort of thing happens ONLY in big stores. I know for a fact it happens in smaller stores too,
    Haha ok, ok. :P

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    What city are you from, out of curiosity?
    Nottingham

Did my rounds this morning and had a pretty lukewarm experience, unfortunately. There wasn't much going on at my local shop, but at least I got the books I wanted.

FCBD is getting insane! I managed to get to my LCS during my lunch break and the place was jammed-packed with people, complete with tons of costumes and one life-sized dalek!

Unfortunately, pretty much all the books I wanted were already gone. All I got was Rocket Raccoon and a collection of old Buck Rogers strips. I was really looking forward to Atomic Robo and Uncle Scrooge.

I had a great time at Third Eye Comics in Maryland. I camped out and was around 60th in line, but I had a VIP pass for attending all of the signings they had this spring, so I got into the store half an hour ahead of the crowds. Got all my FCBD books and bought a few from their graphic novel sale (I got Walt Simonson's JUDAS COIN for half off). Got some books signed by Jason Aaron, and my daughter met Carla Speed McNeil who works on the My Little Pony comic. My daughter got her face painted as well and had a great time reading her stack of comics. She's freakin' beat, though--we didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

All-New Member

First of all, good to be back on CBR after the re-launch.

Got my copy of Batman: Earth One signed by Gary Frank today! Yooohoooo!

I asked him about Volume Two, and for those interested, he told me that he's finished drawing 96 pages for now, and that he expects the whole book to be around 140 pages. He couldn't really give me an approximate release date though.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Surprisingly, I went last minute. My LCS had a line down the block at 8:00a.m. They were very efficient and smart in how they handed the books out. It is not something I'd do again (especially since the LCS will be doing an online version of FCBD this Monday.)

That said, I probably will use that 20% off coupon this Wednesday since the LCS is on the way to work.

Got a boatload of kids comics, hopefully my coworkers can give those to their kids.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 05-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

My LCS was packed. We were able to get 5 books. I chose:

New 52 Futures End #0
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Rocket Raccoon
    Worlds of Aspen 2014
    Street Fighter

Was a line of 30 people to check out. Easily 10 to 15 the free stacks. It was nice to see and I know the owner was thrilled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    My LCS was packed. We were able to get 5 books. I chose:

New 52 Futures End #0
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Rocket Raccoon
    Worlds of Aspen 2014
    Street Fighter

Was a line of 30 people to check out. Easily 10 to 15 the free stacks. It was nice to see and I know the owner was thrilled.
    I don't know why this year's FCBD was so packed.

The shop I went to was up to something odd.

I got there right before I opened. They were only giving away Marvel Previews. When I was making some purchases for my daughter, I made a comment about how I just wanted to get the Scrooge Mcduck book for her and the guy pulled it out of a box and gave it to me. He had a stash behind the counter. I have never seen a shop do this. So other than that one book, nothing for myself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The shop I went to was up to something odd.

I got there right before I opened. They were only giving away Marvel Previews. When I was making some purchases for my daughter, I made a comment about how I just wanted to get the Scrooge Mcduck book for her and the guy pulled it out of a box and gave it to me. He had a stash behind the counter. I have never seen a shop do this. So other than that one book, nothing for myself.
    BAD COMIC SHOP!

No cookie!