Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

At first store I went to, after doing the interviews and photos for a potential article, I got three books and my brother got three books.

I got the Worlds of Aspen, Courtney Crumrin and Fubar. He got The First Daughter, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Far From Wonder.

I also bought the first issue of The Twilight Zone comic as a way of offsetting the freebies.

Then ran some errands. Then took my brother to see Captain America as an early birthday gift for him.

Afterwards I went to the second store (my regular LCS). Everyone gets a copy of The Tick and between us we got Farlaine The Goblin, Tesla/Wayward Sons, Duel Identity/Pandora's Blogs and Darchon/Shadow Children.

I also picked up 146 preordered FCBD books that I paid for.

Those were a mixture of:

Kaboom Summer Blast
    Archie Comic Digest
    Bongo Comics
    The New 52: Future's End
    Uncle Scrooge
    Transformers vs. G.I. Joe
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    SpongeBob
    Sonic/Megaman
    Mouse Guard
    Teen Titans Go!
    Rocket Raccoon
    The Dumbest Idea Ever!
    The Smurfs
    Sherwood, Tx / Boondock Saints

These all go into the Halloween box for giveaways on Oct. 31.

I also picked up two DMZ trades via the store sale. (and my regular weekly stash).
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    At first store I went to, after doing the interviews and photos for a potential article, I got three books and my brother got three books.

I got the Worlds of Aspen, Courtney Crumrin and Fubar. He got The First Daughter, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Far From Wonder.

I also bought the first issue of The Twilight Zone comic as a way of offsetting the freebies.

Then ran some errands. Then took my brother to see Captain America as an early birthday gift for him.

Afterwards I went to the second store (my regular LCS). Everyone gets a copy of The Tick and between us we got Farlaine The Goblin, Tesla/Wayward Sons, Duel Identity/Pandora's Blogs and Darchon/Shadow Children.

I also picked up 146 preordered FCBD books that I paid for.

Those were a mixture of:

Kaboom Summer Blast
    Archie Comic Digest
    Bongo Comics
    The New 52: Future's End
    Uncle Scrooge
    Transformers vs. G.I. Joe
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    SpongeBob
    Sonic/Megaman
    Mouse Guard
    Teen Titans Go!
    Rocket Raccoon
    The Dumbest Idea Ever!
    The Smurfs
    Sherwood, Tx / Boondock Saints

These all go into the Halloween box for giveaways on Oct. 31.

I also picked up two DMZ trades via the store sale. (and my regular weekly stash).
    My LCS gave almost all of those away too (two bags, one with Marvel, DC, Image and a huge one with most of those and a few other kids books including an Archie digest.)

I was hoping to get the 2000AD free comic, but I suspect that is the U.K. only.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Incredible Member

FCBD haul:

Only thing I grabbed was the Archaia HC for my kid. The rest of the books were 40% off US cover price, which was really nice.

What was the Uncle Scrooge story in this year's FCBD?

BANNED

No one had that hardcover Mouse guard! grrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    What was the Uncle Scrooge story in this year's FCBD?
    Don Rosa's "A Matter of Some Gravity." It's a terrific story. I read a scan of it years ago and was looking forward to having it in print. Suppose I'll have to wait for Fantagraphics to collect it... but chronologically it'll be two years or so before they get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The shop I went to was up to something odd.

I got there right before I opened. They were only giving away Marvel Previews. When I was making some purchases for my daughter, I made a comment about how I just wanted to get the Scrooge Mcduck book for her and the guy pulled it out of a box and gave it to me. He had a stash behind the counter. I have never seen a shop do this. So other than that one book, nothing for myself.
    Wow that's pretty awful and goes against the spirit of fcbd. Today should be a good opportunity to bring in new customers that never visit your store as well as having your regulars sample new series that they would never otherwise look at.

I was delighted to see a lot of young children at my LCS. I was worried about the future of the industry but events like these will help bring a younger generation to reading comics. That said I thought my comic shop did a really poor job capitalizing the opportunity. There weren't any sales or anything that would create a buzz.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 05-03-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

I hope you'll all check out the photos from around the world on CBR Live!

http://live.comicbookresources.com/
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    I hope you'll all check out the photos from around the world on CBR Live!

http://live.comicbookresources.com/
    checking it out now. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Don Rosa's "A Matter of Some Gravity." It's a terrific story. I read a scan of it years ago and was looking forward to having it in print. Suppose I'll have to wait for Fantagraphics to collect it... but chronologically it'll be two years or so before they get to it.
    Ah yep, I think I have that one, it sounds familiar. There are still a few Don Rosa stories out there I'm missing, which is why I'm pretty happy with the new Collection series

Looks like this store got it right by trying to create a buzz.

"I started out at Ann Arbor’s Vault of Midnight, which REALLY did the day up right. They had staffers in costume handing out Bartman buttons, power rings and other fun items, and the line to get it stretched nearly around the block. What’s more, they had a ton of special promotions going with local businesses so you could get a discount on food or skateboards or whatever if you came in with your FCBD bag. Sick, right?!?"

The Vault also had a fun photo setup outside the store.
    "As I’m told, the dudes at Nerd Live Productions will be Photoshopping this out to make it look like an old comic cover. Maybe when they do mine, they’ll crop out my weird cowlick."
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 05-03-2014 at 06:20 PM.

BANNED

You had me at baby Moon Knight! also way to go Rob Worley-- i totally got your comic, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Grooodyssey View Post

"I started out at Ann Arbor’s Vault of Midnight, which REALLY did the day up right. They had staffers in costume handing out Bartman buttons, power rings and other fun items, and the line to get it stretched nearly around the block. What’s more, they had a ton of special promotions going with local businesses so you could get a discount on food or skateboards or whatever if you came in with your FCBD bag. Sick, right?!?"

"As I’m told, the dudes at Nerd Live Productions will be Photoshopping this out to make it look like an old comic cover. Maybe when they do mine, they’ll crop out my weird cowlick."
    Wow. I went to VoM a few times when I lived in Ann Arbor, but I typically opted for a shop that was closer to my apartment on the other side of town. VoM was a smaller shop in a basement back then. I went back to A2 last summer and saw it had gotten a LOT bigger since I used to live there!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grooodyssey View Post

Vault of Midnight is a terrific store. A great selection of books, really friendly atmosphere, and a staff that's really knowledgeable and helpful. Not a bit surprised to hear they did FCBD right.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Wow. I went to VoM a few times when I lived in Ann Arbor, but I typically opted for a shop that was closer to my apartment on the other side of town. VoM was a smaller shop in a basement back then. I went back to A2 last summer and saw it had gotten a LOT bigger since I used to live there!
    This is what happens when the shop owners are passionate and know how to run their business right. It's not surprising that their shop has gotten much bigger as evident here with all the great ideas they had for fcbd and running special promotions with local businesses. Good for them.

Completely different vibe compared to my LCS. I felt the owners at my LCS were very standoffish and looked like they couldn't wait till the crowd died down and end the day.