Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    The Tesla comic wasn't bagged at either location I went to but Red Giant Entertainment had four different flip books out for FCBD.

Tesla/Wayward Sons
    The First Daughter/Magika
    Duel Identity/Pandora's Blogs
    Darchon/Shadow Children

And I have an extra copy of the Mouse Guard book. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
    My LcS had and has a million left over I got one for that guy today too lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    My LcS had and has a million left over I got one for that guy today too lol
    I'm willing to trade for an extra..what FCDB are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    The shop I went to was up to something odd.

I got there right before I opened. They were only giving away Marvel Previews. When I was making some purchases for my daughter, I made a comment about how I just wanted to get the Scrooge Mcduck book for her and the guy pulled it out of a box and gave it to me. He had a stash behind the counter. I have never seen a shop do this. So other than that one book, nothing for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooodyssey View Post
    Wow that's pretty awful and goes against the spirit of fcbd. Today should be a good opportunity to bring in new customers that never visit your store as well as having your regulars sample new series that they would never otherwise look at.

Stores still have to pay for FCBD titles. Joshua's store was probably tired of people coming in once a year, taking free stuff and never coming back until next FCBD. I know the store I used to shop at was always saying that he only participated in FCBD because every other store in town did and he didn't want his customers going somewhere else. But FCBD never brought him any new customers.

--------------

If you missed any books, Comixology posted on Facebook yesterday that they will be posting FCBD titles as publishers release them to Comixology. Probably starting in a couple days. And they will be free. No list of available books was posted.
    Last edited by Don C; 05-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Stores still have to pay for FCBD titles. Joshua's store was probably tired of people coming in once a year, taking free stuff and never coming back until next FCBD. I know the store I used to shop at was always saying that he only participated in FCBD because every other store in town did and he didn't want his customers going somewhere else. But FCBD never brought him any new customers.

--------------

If you missed any books, Comixology posted on Facebook yesterday that they will be posting FCBD titles as publishers release them to Comixology. Probably starting in a couple days. And they will be free. No list of available books was posted.
    Sounds like it is more of a store problem...someone should do a comic about comic shop owners some are more depressed then rodeo clowns.

The one I went to is a small store. He would pull free books for his regular customers, but 95% of the crowd who came on in FCBD were neighborhood kids who just took free stuff and left. He tried a couple times to run with the bigger dogs, but he just couldn't afford it. He's just a hole-in-the-wall store trying to compete with this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...vely-and-late/
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Yesterday was a blast; got to hang out at my LCS all day and browse through boxes of comics. There were also lots of vendors in the mall my LCS is located in so it was tons of fun. Picked up Forever Evil Aftermath: Batman vs. Bane and Ms. Marvel (dropped the ball on this series, kicking myself for it now). There was also a silent auction for the benefit of the Kid's Crisis Hotline; outbid everyone else for an Emerald City Variant Batman 28 signed by Scott Snyder. Going to get a nice frame for it, it's my first autographed comic!

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

My comic book store was way more busy then it has ever been! I am happy for them.

I got a DC and Marvel free comic, as well as Project Black Sky! And I won a set of heroclixs as well. Cosplayers, a artist for Image came by to do a signing and lots of fun was had.

I did not know there was a boondock saints free comic, I am sad that I did not pick that up. Maybe my store still has some.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    My comic book store was way more busy then it has ever been! I am happy for them.

I got a DC and Marvel free comic, as well as Project Black Sky! And I won a set of heroclixs as well. Cosplayers, a artist for Image came by to do a signing and lots of fun was had.

I did not know there was a boondock saints free comic, I am sad that I did not pick that up. Maybe my store still has some.
    Let me know if your store doesn't have one.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Let me know if your store doesn't have one.
    mailed your book off Im goin to bed

It seemed like Free Comic Book Day was an absolute success at my local CBS. They opened at 10am which I believe is an hour later than they have in the past. I arrived at 10:10am after stopped at the ATM to pick up some cash. When I arrived the line was to the door and the line snaked around the entire inside of the store. Despite there being roughly 150 people inside a store that should probably only hold 50 people tops, everything seemed to run fairly smoothly. Everyone was seemed to be patient and be in good spirits. Pretty much everything was on sale. 25-50% off. My local CBS sold POM bags (piece of mind) that included at least 1 of every issue that was released as well as some other goodies. I always take what I want and donate the rest to the local library. By the time I left the line was out the door and around the side of the building. By all accounts everyone happily waited in line.

As someone that normally hates crowds, I had a blast. It's a great day. I love seeing old friends that are there every Wednesday like me and I love seeing the newcomers venturing out to see what all of the buzz is about. I love seeing the kids (small and large) be all excited and have anguish over which books to get.

All in all, it was a great success from what I could tell. Definitely a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    mailed your book off Im goin to bed
    Your copy of Mouse Guard was mailed out this morning as well. Hope you enjoy it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    From what I've been told comic shop owners pay about $0.25 for every free comic to give out. It's a collaborate effort with publishers and shop owners to create buzz that day and to promote the medium. Archaia gave out a very nice hardcover copy of Mouse Guard, I'm sure it cost them way more than 0.25 to make a copy but the goal was to get it into as many hands as possible. Archaia got me and I'll be picking up some volumes of Mouse Guard to support them and my local shop.

Businesses spend a lot of money for advertising. I think it's even more important if you're a small local neighbourhood store. Look at the example from above about the local shop Vault Of Midnight who started out as a dingy shop in the basement and now is a huge success.

Sure there will always be some people that would just show up and take free stuff. But there will always be that kid who picked up some free comics that day and love what they were reading and be one of your regular customers. It's a collaborate effort to help grow the industry which is the spirit of fcbd.

I wish there was a fcbd event when I was a kid, I'd gotten into comics a lot sooner. I never walked into my first comic shop until I was in high school. If the store is not bringing in any new customers through this event then it's more of a glaring sign that the owners are doing a poor job. From what we've seen FCBD is a major success for stores around the world.

I'm willing to trade for an extra..what FCDB are you looking for?
    None really, but what do you have? I have Future's End, GotG, Spongebob, and Rocket Raccoon. You have any of the old DC ones still?

To Groood's point I rarely see more than 10 people at my LcS (I'm in there a lot nowadays) and they had huge out the door lines for four hours so I know they get a lot of people in there that don't normally go.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 05-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    None really, but what do you have? I have Future's End, GotG, Spongebob, and Rocket Raccoon. You have any of the old DC ones still?
    yeah let me take a look

yeah let me take a look
    Okay let me know.