Incredible Member

Default Why does Batman still give has lower face exposed?

Ok, this has been bothering me for a very long time, with all the upgrades Batman puts into his suit over the years WHY does he still keep his lower face exposed?

We saw in Batman Rebirth 1 and other stories that he can cover it so why not do it full time?

Has asn in story reason ever been given? Surely its a terrible idea to go into battle without covering a vulnerable part of the body!

I know in DKR he says he uses the bat emblem as a target so criminals attack that instead of his unprotected head but if he protected his head more he wouldnt have that problem!

Mighty Member

Leaving his face partially uncovered helps to humanize him a bit, which could be beneficial when rescuing civilians. They'd likely be scared out of their minds, and getting even a small reassurance that the person saving them is a real person and not some completely faceless mystery figure could be a big help. It's a similar principle to why little kids tend to be scared of firefighters when they have their oxygen masks on.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

The real reason is because Batman's look is iconic, so DC probably won't change it.

For practical reasons, in addition to the posters above, I will add the benefit of ventilation. I snowboard, and even though a face mask may keep me warmer and protect me from the wind, I usually avoid wearing them. There are ones with holes for the nose and even some with small holes around the mouth, but I still have difficulty breathing. When you exercise a lot, it is kind of natural to breathe through your mouth, but if you have fabric covering that, it catches your spit and gets really gross. Not to mention it would probably suck in the summer.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

iMan 42s

It helps humanize Batman as well as a full face mask isn't always needed. I'd imagine that modern Batsuits are far more tactical than strictly costume these days. If Bruce goes on a mission or patrol and feels he doesn't need it, he wont bring it or use it. It would probably be more helpful for him to ditch the cape at some point in favor of something less grabby rather than add a full time face mask.

If the mouth piece could form as needed then I'd say that would be the best thing for Batman in this sense.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

Real answer - because it's iconic.

Or, because it's hard to pretend you're Zorro if you're not wearing the Zorro mask, also it's easier to collect thank you smooches.

BANNED

And it's not as if a full face mask like Cassandra Cain or Spider-Man wear protects his face any better. Unles he goes into full Iron Man mode or something...