Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default Devin Grayson recommendations

After reading NIGHTWING Vol.3 False Starts today for the Chuck Dixon goodness Devin's tale (Nightwing/Huntress #1-4, 1998) surprised me with what a great read it was. Not a fan of the characters per se or cosa nostra tales but here it worked. Now I get why folks like Nightwing and Huntress. Writing was really good, characterisation spot on and the 90s art made me realize that Greg Land started out fine. Anybody else remembers this mini or can recommend more great reads from Devin Grayson?

Maybe you should try out her Nightwing run proper.

But seriously, from what I've heard, don't ever do that.

I'm reading JLA/Titans by her right now. I'm only an issue in so I can't really give a solid opinion on that.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

JLAA/titan is good, her run on Titans was ok and Gotham Knights was iirc also not bad. Her Nightwing Run was readable for the first 10-20 issues, arround issues #93 Nighwing derails imo and doesn't come back on track until issue #140 when Tomasi took over.

She wrote a novel called Inheritance that focuses on the relationships between Batman/Nightwing, Aquaman/Tempest and Green Arrow/Red Arrow. It is a masterclass in slashy subtext, where we learn that Dick Grayson is like catnip to sexy older men and you really can't take Oliver Queen anywhere. She also wrote a lot of Gotham Knights, there are some good stories there but she also wrote a lot of folksy racism when she tried to flesh out Dick Graysons Romani background.

BANNED

Her Titans run is definitely worth checking out, but you'd have to get it digitally. I've heard Gotham Knights is good, other than that a lot of her issues are collected in trades of late 90s-early 00s Batman comics like No Man's Land.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Maybe you should try out her Nightwing run proper.

But seriously, from what I've heard, don't ever do that.

Tbh, while there are a couple of deeply questionable spots, I remember quite enjoying the rest of her NW run. And I thought her Gotham Knights was decent too (although I'm sure there's a deeply questionable moment I'm forgetting in there to ).

BANNED

Her Nightwing run is overall a great read, but sadly it is also marred by capricious editors who forced drastic story changes to fit Infinite Crisis, and it's also only half finished because she got fed up with said editors and because Dick Grayson was originally planned to die in that event.

It was basically planned to be a break him down and build him back up again kind of story, except some editor decided to just kill him and be done with instead of building him back up.
    And of course they changed those plans again, very very late in the game, after the people doing the Jason Todd as Nightwing books already had an issue in the can.

Devin's Gotham Knights was about on par with Greg Rucka's Detective Comics that was coming out at the same time.
    Her Black Widow minis at Marvel (with the Yelena Belova Black Widow, before that character got derailed into villainy) were very nice too.
    I also remember her creator-owned series Matador at Wildstorm fondly.

People also say nice things about her Catwoman run, but I haven't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Her Titans run is definitely worth checking out, but you'd have to get it digitally. I've heard Gotham Knights is good, other than that a lot of her issues are collected in trades of late 90s-early 00s Batman comics like No Man's Land.
    Yeah only bits and pieces of the Titans runs was okay. The rest was blah because it was about the main guys and the new guys got shafted.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thanks everybody for posting. I should own all her Gotham Knights and NML stuff already but forgot about it. Nightwing MOBBED UP sounds interesting (Black Mask, yes!) maybe after that some of Devin's Catwoman for me. Sorry to hear Infinite Crisis scrambled her Nightwing plans.