Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default What do you think of movie Damian and Raven's relationship?

What do you guys think of them? They have some things in common, like being used as weapons by their relatives. Neither of them can't have a normal childhood.

Do you think they're made for each other?
    Last edited by DCCoolness; 06-13-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

No thank you, we don't really need a whole movie made around shipping characters. Though I would be fine with more direct to video Teen Titans movies.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member

I still think DCNAU Robin is still nowhere near posh enough; the kid needs some kind of clipped, aristocratic accent to transform the over-the-top brattiness to the Damian Wayne that I think of. He seems a bit like they're trying to mix some of the archetypal characterization of Robin with the Robin most apart from it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The movie was awful so I don't care about their relationship. I want DC to go back to making quality animated content.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

I think it is kind of awkward to ship Damian with a character that is originally arround Dicks age.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The movie was awful so I don't care about their relationship. I want DC to go back to making quality animated content.
    I would really like to get movies that is not centred around Damian. Most of these movies would imo better without him.

I think Maps Mizoguchi

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I still think DCNAU Robin is still nowhere near posh enough; the kid needs some kind of clipped, aristocratic accent to transform the over-the-top brattiness to the Damian Wayne that I think of. He seems a bit like they're trying to mix some of the archetypal characterization of Robin with the Robin most apart from it.
    I don't think it's that easy to find a voice actor that age with the clipped British accent that you're thinking of for Damian but I get what you mean.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    No thank you, we don't really need a whole movie made around shipping characters. Though I would be fine with more direct to video Teen Titans movies.
    It wasn't a whole movie, it was developed over several films in the way a good fictional one should be. And as this site has prove animated pairing is what makes a ship powerful. Its not Dick and Starfire comic history that keeps it alive in fans eyes but the fondness of show where they watched a relationship build over 4 years.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't really care about the movie, I just find it ridiculous that Raven has been aged down so much that she's being paired with Damian now when she started out around the same age and being attracted to Dick.
    Garth is the middle of the 2000s and the most popular because of the cartoon.
    I wonder if 10-20 years from now she's going to be paired with Helena Wayne after Damian grows to teenage and young adulthood.

Like I thought I feel weird when I found out Zatanna was dating Dick in Young Justice and it's a popular ship when I know she's Bruce's generation, or Tim dating Barbara in Arkham Knight when she's not dating Bruce in BTAS. Why do these adaptations always make things weird?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-09-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't really care about the movie, I just find it ridiculous that Raven has been aged down so much that she's being paired with Damian now when she started out around the same age and being attracted to Dick.
    I wonder if 10-20 years from now she's going to be paired with Helena Wayne after Damian grows to teenage and young adulthood.
    I'm mainly in the same boat as you and others that have pointed out the age gap and de-aging. I don't get it....

I remember when the films started out and as soon as I saw the possibility of them going in that direction, I immediately turned away from the entire universe. I find the relationship just revolting but it's only gonna get worse because it's become such a popular ship mainly because many have always wanted a Robin and Raven relationship. Fans of it are probably gonna push D.C. to make it relevant in the comics.

Or maybe they won't have to if I were to guess D.C. might be just as fond of it.
    Last edited by Grandmaster_J; 05-09-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Verdict: Meh.

[10characters]

Like I thought I feel weird when I found out Zatanna was dating Dick in Young Justice and it's a popular ship when I know she's Bruce's generation, or Tim dating Barbara in Arkham Knight when she's not dating Bruce in BTAS. Why do these adaptations always make things weird?
    I agree. It's not like DC is in a shortage of teen magical girls; Black Alice, Traci 13, Mary Marvel,

Well as a person who likes dick and zatanna I don't mind.

People may not like raven being deaged but the fact is she's is deaged so I don't see it being weird. Limiting characters to past versions or canon that no longer exist I don't get. Raven and Damian are both teens and dick and zatanna are adults there's no problem.

I don't ship raven and Damian but I don't mind it either. Teens can date teens and adults can date adults screw "generations".

Extraordinary Member

The Raven and Damian thing is a bit like the Dick and Zatanna thing, in that there *is* a story reason for the change, while I think the Tim and Babs thing s likely a mistake made by guys who aren’t comic fans making a choice based off their rough knowledge of Batman land, then stubbornly holding to it even when someone likely pointed out they’d unintentionally made the story timeline a bit stupid.

With Dick and Zatanna, it was because Young Justice was going to lean heavily into legacy and family, and Weismann wanted to use Zatara as well as his daughter; Weismann had some big plans for Fate and Zatara, so de-aging Zatanna to fit with the Team was a natural choice to give his daughter perspective of that, then sticking Zatanna on a team with Grayson just kind of led to their fling. With Damian and Raven, it’s because that movie continuity tended to operate in broad themes along a similarly predictable but more competent marketing philosophy as the New 52*, so Damian and Raven having an evil parent apiece was the biggest reason to have them interact, especially when the films were going to do what every Titans adaptation was with Raven and just do the Trigon thing - that made them the most important Titans characters, so they were paired a bit for efficiency's sake.

*Note: I still don’t really like that continuity’s application of the New 52 principles - it feels limiting, prosaic, and often unnecessary, but the films at least had a more even handed application of it and a more even handed adjustment away from it than the comics did.

The Tim and Babs thing almost certainly happened because someone in the writing room knew “Robin <3 Batgirl,” and had caught on that Oracle was Batgirl... but either didn’t know or didn’t care about Dick being Babs’s Robin, even though the art team had, and even though WB Montreal likely knew that, given they’d put a Babs and Dick around the same age in their Origins game. Though honestly, Arkham Knight’s story feels like it was just crafted with a lot less care that the other games, particularly in regards to the Batfamily. The choice with Tim led to them having to age him up, make him an adult, make the time between Jason and Tim’s Robin tenures extremely small, and left Nightwing kind of divorced from most of the story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Nope, they need to stop aging her down.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-