Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 87
  1. #46
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hellís Brigade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    House Deathstalker
    Posts
    9,047

    Default

    Oh Lord, he's mentioned Vargas.

    *Pulls popcorn out to watch ensuing reactions*
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SOís Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

  2. #47
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    Oh Lord, he's mentioned Vargas.

    *Pulls popcorn out to watch ensuing reactions*
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  3. #48
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I feel I should point out that Vargas is supposed to be Peak Human as well.
    vargas was a jerk and died a jerk's death.
    Last edited by Guy1; 06-15-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I don't think calling the character a whore is necessary. Please stop.

  4. #49
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    17,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    vargas was a jerk and died a jerk's death.
    That's disrespectful to jerks.
    Last edited by Guy1; 06-15-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: just editing it to be better
    "... and when the Golden Toad started to sing, there was no turning back." - grampagen (Ochazuke)

    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

  5. #50
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    That's disrespectful to jerks.
    you're right.

    damnit. even in death, vargas fucks things up.

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Val dodges the truth like he dodges instant death effects charged by speed force lightning despite having already hit him. Val dodges the truth so hard he retroactively took Pilate's place in the New Testament to go "but what is truth?", which required some serious edits of the Gospels as things got reaaaally weird for a bit there. (*Karate chops Jesus off the Cross* ".. I'm pretty sure this is not how this is actually supposed to go.")
    Ah but the truth is he was still alive, meaning he still dodged the bullet despite what our eyes saw. The truth, therefore; saved Val Armorr.

    Are you trying to tell me that he knows a "Truth Kung Fu"!?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.

  7. #52
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,659

    Default

    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.

  8. #53
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    The only reason Val has the ability to auto-learn and retroactively found the Angel-KOing martial arts is that he used a martial art that he'd auto-learnt and retroactively founded on himself to give him that ability (while knocking out a newly-winged angel in the process).

    While dodging logic.

  9. #54
    Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    In that case, I've just invented "kick yourself repeatedly in the head and retcon yourself into a street-leveler" kung fu.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

    Original join date: 6/2007

  10. #55

    Default

    DC made the right move here. For a character who is supposed to be all about h2h fighting, it's boring for them to have a skill that lets them predict their opponent's next ten moves from a random eyebrow twitch. The exception would be someone like One-Punch Man, which is a deliberate satire.

    And the notion that someone's tenth move in a fight can be predicted from a random eyebrow twitch that happened a minute prior is silly, because it isn't just a skill of the "body reader", it implies that every person in the world has such bizarre tells. It's as silly as killing someone by driving their nasal bone into their brain with an uppercut.
    Last edited by MidTierHero; 06-15-2016 at 05:52 AM.

  11. #56
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    DC made the right move here. For a character who is supposed to be all about h2h fighting, it's boring for them to have a skill that lets them predict their opponent's next ten moves from a random eyebrow twitch. The exception would be someone like One-Punch Man, which is a deliberate satire.

    And the notion that someone's tenth move in a fight can be predicted from a random eyebrow twitch that happened a minute prior is silly, because it isn't just a skill of the "body reader", it implies that every person in the world has such bizarre tells. It's as silly as killing someone by driving their nasal bone into their brain with an uppercut.
    Pretty much like I already said. Cain's "body reading" was elevated to something FAR more than simply body reading. It's become some sort of outright telepathy or precognition to the point of it being used as an automagic "I WIN" button in various rumbles. "It doesn't matter how skilled 'X' is, because Cass already knows the next 50 moves they're going to make because he blinked once."
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!


    Pull List
    X-23 Domino

  12. #57
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    32,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Pretty much like I already said. Cain's "body reading" was elevated to something FAR more than simply body reading. It's become some sort of outright telepathy or precognition to the point of it being used as an automagic "I WIN" button in various rumbles. "It doesn't matter how skilled 'X' is, because Cass already knows the next 50 moves they're going to make because he blinked once."
    karate kid says hi.

  13. #58
    Amazing Member StuffKnower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Creeping up behind you!
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Pretty much like I already said. Cain's "body reading" was elevated to something FAR more than simply body reading. It's become some sort of outright telepathy or precognition to the point of it being used as an automagic "I WIN" button in various rumbles. "It doesn't matter how skilled 'X' is, because Cass already knows the next 50 moves they're going to make because he blinked once."
    The idea is supposed to be that she understands body language (the eyebrow thing just being an example, but including the tensing of muscles, where your eyes dart to, the kind of micro-expressions truth experts read that most people miss, etc.) as well as a trained communicator understands their primary language. Every nuance you can get from tone, word choice, inflection, cadence, etc. she gets from people's bodies. And then take that to a comic book extreme.

    There were certainly times where I thought it went a little far - I think it worked on shapeshifters, for example, and while I can see her reading them in a given form, as long as they stayed in that form, being able to read the body language of something that has uses for its body that you really cannot have considered seems... off to me. But as far as reading that someone is going to feint? I can absolutely see that. Just like if someone is irritated and tells me they are fine I can often tell, "they don't sound fine." I'd imagine a psychologist or other people trained to note deception would be much better at that than I am. And really, Cass was trained in nothing but physicality for her whole life.

    What she does is not possible in the real world, true. But if you can accept that you can replace someone's linguistic abilities with a more physical skill like that, it's also not that out there, really.

    I get you don't like it, but compared to her striking force, or Batman's durability, or Nightwing's acrobatics, it doesn't seem that far out there to me.

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,659

    Default

    MidTierHero doesn't like that Cain has been given wins over Captain America, is what it comes down to, as far as a variety previous comments made in this direction. I presume there's characters Ambarenyo is preferential to that have been argued to a loss on board similarly with regards the Cain Batgirl, given that it's moved on to less things about the character and what they feel works for them in the sense of larger narrative, and more specifically instead this:

    It's become some sort of outright telepathy or precognition to the point of it being used as an automagic "I WIN" button in various rumbles. "It doesn't matter how skilled 'X' is, because Cass already knows the next 50 moves they're going to make because he blinked once."
    We're about a step off from this being a gripe about the board thread really.

    I wanted to say that the other post managed to be more subtle about the taunting/baiting, but we had this:

    And the notion that someone's tenth move in a fight can be predicted from a random eyebrow twitch that happened a minute prior is silly, because it isn't just a skill of the "body reader", it implies that every person in the world has such bizarre tells. It's as silly as killing someone by driving their nasal bone into their brain with an uppercut.
    For some history, in one of the few occasions on this board that MidTierHero will make something other than one off posts that tends to read as nothing but contradictory for the sake of, then not reply to anyone who replies to said post with a question, he'll ocassionally actually respond to Sharp, generally about Batgirl, generally in ways that see him off from a thread. Sharp is known pretty heavily for hating that nosebone thing. He's complained about it a fair bit. So this is basically a combo sort of "gloat about a Batgirl nerf, get in a jab at someone they know likes the character over it."

    (For the record I don't really care about Batgirl in any incarnation as actual Batgirl. Well, the Spoiler Batgirl, I kinda liked her, or more the idea of her perhaps.)
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-15-2016 at 08:05 AM.

  15. #60
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,472

    Default

    Temporarily closing this for review. Hang tight guys.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •