Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default How would you revamp a DC character?

Legit question, and bear with me as I'm not very knowledgeable of DC or superheroes in general. I've been assigned this task to recreate (visually) an existing DC character. Literally any one. I'm applying for a position as an artist at a studio, and as part of the interview process have been asked to recreate a DC character, particularly in a style relevant to Injustice: Gods Among Us. So, as a couple obvious examples, an evil superman or a Joker that has actual super abilities. A heroic Lex Luthor, a subservient Doomsday. Maybe even like how the Suicide Squad charas were redesigned for the movie? Alternate alliances, blurred lines, that kinda stuff. I then have to paint the guy/gal/creature.

I hate begging help, but I really don't know anything about the DC world and I have only 4 days to pull together a finished product. I'd really love to hear from fans what your ideas are, or what you'd be interested in seeing? I'd be extremely appreciative.

EDIT: Okay been reading, and I have an idea. Let me know if this sounds utterly ridiculous. What about Constantine, but put into more of a 'superhero/villain' outfit. Less 'suit and tie' and more 'armour, protective materials, body suit, stylised stuff'. I know it absolutely doesn't fit into the universe or his character, but I like the idea of turning an 'everyday clothing' hero into something more dramatic.
    Last edited by Tipsy_lou; 06-22-2016 at 10:36 AM.

BANNED

If I were you, I'd start with like Superman or Batman, someone you are generally familiar with.

How about "Superman in a world where nobody wears goofy costumes?"

So like a jacket and jeans. Or since we kinda saw that on Smallville, same idea but with Batman. So he'd be more urban commando.

BANNED

When the Joker fell into the vat of chemicals that gave him his inhuman appearance, it also gave him superpowers. The ability to warp reality. He then sets out to turn the entire world into a twisted, horrific version of itself filled with Joker demons, corrupted superheroes etc. A Joker apocalypse.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    If I were you, I'd start with like .... So he'd be more urban commando.
    I like it, thanks! Although, I feel I have to push my creativity a little further for this one. Gotta stand out against my competition. It's a great concept but lacks the excitement you get from a striking outfit compared to jacket/jeans.
    Thanks again~

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    When the Joker fell into the vat of chemicals that gave him his inhuman appearance, it also gave him superpowers. .....A Joker apocalypse.
    Awesome! Not sure if it would alter his appearance much, though? Maybe darker colours and more grandeur? Thanks for the idea!

BANNED

I've never liked the Flash's garish costume. Television went some direction toward toning down the color, but I'd make it all the way dark, and lose the lightning insignia and the wings on his boots and ears. Boots and gloves could be a bit darker than the rest of the costume.

So like a jacket and jeans. Or since we kinda saw that on Smallville, same idea but with Batman. So he'd be more urban commando.
    Since original superhero outfits were based on circus performers, I'd always considered a more contemporary, "real world costume" for a Kansas boy would be a red/blue NASCAR jumpsuit with no logos but his own. Batman's armor-ninja movie suit is smart. It's Diana I have a hard time with. If she's so strong and powerful, why isn't she in some smart and comfy lulu lemon? She don't need armor aside from her gauntlets, and the idea of a bathing suit costume is both boring and passe.

As for the original question: I'm not a blind revamper. I LIVE for large scale universal redesigns, but since your familiarity is limited and you're asking for a single character to create for a school challenge...

I'd pick something like Red Inferno or Red Torpdeo and have some real fun with merging 1940's fashion and pre-plastic machinery sensibilities with current nano-tech and avant garde flair. It'd both be a new take on Steampunk and the current trend for the DC Bombshells. The secret source of their powers would be motherbox-interfacing-responsometers accessing Fourth World "elemental angels", so you'd also have access to play with Kirby costuming cues and the recent interpretation that uses Tron-line tropes.

Do you really have to come up with a backstory? Can't they just be robots who wanna be human, but are really Earth-bound avatars of god-like beings and don't realize it?

The style for the original Injustice was an armored take on most of the classic superhero costumes. Injustice 2 seems to be moving even more in that direction, less faithful to the comic costumes but more armored. I'd Most of the designs are still eye catching and colorful though, not just drab gray armor. This perhaps may not be the most inspired route, but if you go this way, I'd try to focus on creative armor. Watch the new Injustice 2 trailer for reference.

Not necessarliy how I'd go about making interesting redesigns myself, but relevent to the OP. I prefer simple designs, the less busy the better IMO.

My best thought for a creative redesign. Most redesigns try to make characters modern, but this idea is kinda retro and perhaps garish. The original Nightwing costume from the 1980's was based on a daredevil/ stuntman suit. It is pretty dated now, but might be a fun idea to try to update.

In Injustice, he died and became Deadman, who was also an acrobat who dressed like a Daredevil in a similar costume.

http://economicsandethics.typepad.co...1083970b-800wi
    A modern Nightwing costume

http://bartbeaty.ucalgaryblogs.ca/fi...4/grayson2.jpg
    The original Nightwing costume

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/or...6c20f9cf7a.jpg
    The Deadman costume

Another idea for Nightwing would be a spy angle. He just wrapped up a run in the comics where he was a spy, so that might be an interesting idea to run with.

His costume:
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140714200737
    Last edited by Pohzee; 06-22-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

If I were you, I'd start with like Superman or Batman, someone you are generally familiar with.

How about "Superman in a world where nobody wears goofy costumes?"

Nice idea, Glenn.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Ryuku Orsono - A mage with the unique ability to duplicate any mystical object he sees. This can work for a series focusing on magic and fantasy.

Mal Duncan - Part of a secret organization that fights supernatural threats using Angelic weapons and powers.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've never liked the Flash's garish costume. ... of the costume.
    I was literally so into this idea until I did a little research and realised that the company I'm applying for has already done some revamp concepts for the Flash with a very similar direction. Bummer, what are the chances... I'd only end up looking like I'd taken the idea from them.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Since original superhero outfits were based on.... Earth-bound avatars of god-like beings and don't realize it?
    Some good points. The concentration is less on accurate history or backstory or whether the character will fit in and far more towards creative visuals. But personally you can't have one without the other, so I'm trying to recreate a character that would at least would fit into the universe of DC. Even if it's not necessary. So really, the focus is on a revamped visual. It's a test subject for a concept art job, afterall.

Red Inferno/Torpedo sounds like a fun idea, especially because I see their designs are very simplistic and fairly untouched? I would have to research them a little more, though, as like I said before- absolutely useless with all things comic/superhero.

Thanks for the detailed response!

This is a steal from my "Cannibal Continuity" headfanon project...

Samhain, Nigel Keane
    Son of Liam McHugh, the third Jack O'Lantern, a near-death trauma released his inherited magical powers: to become living burning ectoplasmic mist. Upon being fitted with a containment suit, he began to learn more about his new body and its abilities: flight, superstrength, fog creation, pyrokinesis, and charms*. As a member of the Justice League International, Samhain serves as a powerhouse for Team 3. His magical heritage makes him a peculiar oddity and new citizen of the DCU mystic community.

*manipulation of human perceptions, like illusions, disorientation, fear, rage, and lust receptors.

Retired

Lex Luthor has gone the super-heroic route in the past, so if you want to be original, I'd stay away from him. And I believe there have been super-powered Jokers, too.

I had this idea years ago that the magic lightning could strike other DC characters, besides Billy Batson, and transform them. I drew Oliver Queen to look like a C.C. Beck style character, nick-named the "Big Green Cheese." It's fun to imagine other DC characters--especially those with no super-powers--getting a magic upgrade from the gods and heroes and not necessarrily just the SHAZAM ones.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a competent-but-functional redesign of an armored up Hawkman. The Young Justice interpretation is probably the closest anyone has ever come, but I'm not particularly fond of the direction they went with the color scheme. And as much as I love Joe Bennett, the armored look I presume he designed for the finale of The Savage Hawkman is particularly garish. I'd give you a metal if you could come up with something great.

Good luck on the job, by the way. I hope you get it.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17