Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Mark Millar could be working on something Superman soon??

So I just read this from Millar's site:

In the meantime, I'm going to get back onto two projects I was writing in secret before I started Reborn in January (yes, these six issues really have taken me five months of world-building!) which takes me right up to the end off the year when I've carved out TWELVE WEEKS to do either a big MARVEL OR DC special project. In the new year I'm starting Millarworld Phase 2 and the sequels to all the movies we have coming up like Superior, Empress and so on, but just out of pure fanboy fun I'm going to do my first work-for-hire in a number of years at the end of this year and do nothing else for twelve full weeks. It's actually going to be a lovely change of pace before I jump back into my own stuff and I'm meeting Marvel pals in NYC and DC buddies in LA to have a chat. I'm totally into both so just going to shoot down the pub in both cities and see what works out. I'll keep you posted.
    Superman is Millar's undisputed favorite character of the big two. He even bought the actual cape from Superman: the movie. So there might be a good chance he'll be back. And he did say that if he ever found himself with some time he'd love to do a Superman book. ALSO he disliked some of the ideas in MOS so much that he created a (pretty great) character called Huck. This might be him getting to "put his money where his mouth is" in the words of Max Landis.

Does anyone remember Millar's idea for a Superman movie that he wanted to turn into a big Earth one style book? http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/mar...her-like-epic/

"I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."
    Could we be getting this?

Or

Do you think he wants to write Superdad for a quick run? Regardless of if it's post-crisis or (maybe) pre-crisis this guy is Millar's Superman.

I had a theory that maybe part of the reason DC has changed Superman back to this incarnation was to attack more talent. It's a very real thing that sometimes writers don't want to (NOT CAN'T. No one is saying Millar or Hickman or anyone else CAN'T write new 52) write another version of a character. Sometimes writers have been holding on to a story for years and years just waiting for the stars to line up to let them write THAT version of their character, ya know?

So what are everyone's thoughts on this possibility?

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

That's fantastic news if he gets to work on Supes. I've actually been waiting on him to do another DC project and if at all possible Superman. It also doesn't hurt as you stated that he is a huge fan of the guy and can write him real well too. I'm excited. Hopefully it all pans out .

P.S. You should check out his Huck book. Really good and endearing book.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

I'm interested if its an out-of-continuity project.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    P.S. You should check out his Huck book. Really good and endearing book.
    Huck was extremely charming. Millar describes it as Forrest Gump meets Cap. America, BUT he also made a point to say that he created Huck in reaction to Man of Steel. So I basically look at it as his creator owned Superman. It's all there actually. Infant Immigrant raised by nice people and grows up humble and wanting to help. It's golden age Superman by Norman Rockwell, and I loved the idea of it.

You know what? i wonder what Millar's Superman take will be like now post-Jupiter's Legacy and Huck. Does he come at it with new tricks and ideas or is he solid already on his take he's been holding on to?

If it were in continuity, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Millar take a crack at Superman with a family.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So I just read this from Millar's site:

Superman is Millar's undisputed favorite character of the big two. He even bought the actual cape from Superman: the movie. So there might be a good chance he'll be back. And he did say that if he ever found himself with some time he'd love to do a Superman book. ALSO he disliked some of the ideas in MOS so much that he created a (pretty great) character called Huck. This might be him getting to "put his money where his mouth is" in the words of Max Landis.

Does anyone remember Millar's idea for a Superman movie that he wanted to turn into a big Earth one style book? http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/mar...her-like-epic/

Could we be getting this?

Or

Do you think he wants to write Superdad for a quick run? Regardless of if it's post-crisis or (maybe) pre-crisis this guy is Millar's Superman.

I had a theory that maybe part of the reason DC has changed Superman back to this incarnation was to attack more talent. It's a very real thing that sometimes writers don't want to (NOT CAN'T. No one is saying Millar or Hickman or anyone else CAN'T write new 52) write another version of a character. Sometimes writers have been holding on to a story for years and years just waiting for the stars to line up to let them write THAT version of their character, ya know?

So what are everyone's thoughts on this possibility?
    Hey, if Millar still has what it took to make Red Son and Kickass, I would like to see what he would do. I hope he doesn't do a "Mad Max" style elseworlds like the fan Elseworlds story I am trying to work out, but he's got an imagination for sure.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Definitely rooting for Superman to be the project; it's the one WFH thing he's still talked about doing over the years, and he's already pretty much touched on everybody at Marvel. Still though, Marvel's been staying on his good side - asking if he wanted to do Death of Wolverine or Civil War II - which might sway him.
    Buh-bye

Pretty epic. I like the fact that there is an ending right off the bat and that his story stretches so far in time. You can see how he leads us to tomorrow with all the stumbles that comes with it. Lives come and go but his mission and inspiration carries on from the Justice League to to the Legion of Superheroes and beyond. Reminds me of what we saw with the Earth 22 Superman when we saw his life progress a thousand years. I'd call it the Superman or Man of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Pretty epic. I like the fact that there is an ending right off the bat and that his story stretches so far in time. You can see how he leads us to tomorrow with all the stumbles that comes with it. Lives come and go but his mission and inspiration carries on from the Justice League to to the Legion of Superheroes and beyond. Reminds me of what we saw with the Earth 22 Superman when we saw his life progress a thousand years. I'd call it the Superman or Man of Tomorrow.
    There's also something about the fact that his life is finite that I find charming. I can't fully put my figure on it. The visual of him actually finally needing the glasses as an old man is really nice to me. Millar seems to like the idea of Superman's lifespan being that of however long the sun takes to become fully read. He did it in Red Son as a grounded but 'mythic' (over used word) way of showing Superman become an old man.

Also...HOLY CRAP YOUR BACK!!! Great to hear from you again

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Millar is a good Superman writer, He did solid work on the Superman Adventures book back in the day so im all for him doing some modern supes books.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm interested if its an out-of-continuity project.
    I'm in wait and see mode, as I am with much of the Superman line right now. By nature, without reference to editorial directions, I usually prefer in-continuity projects because they "count", but since I don't like SuperDad and I especially don't like SuperJon, if they are new status quo, I am more likely to buy an out of continuity product that hews closer to my preferences in these specific instances. Basically a flip from the new52 era when I would have said "Please let's let this guy write the official new52 Superman". In this era where I don't subscribe to anything and buy few issues from the Superman line, an out of continuity tale ups the chances of it being worthwhile for me to purchase.

Having read Millar's Chronoauts miniseries, I would say off the top of my head he might have been better writing a younger Superman like new52 Superman than SuperDad as well, but the four issues I've happened to have read of Millar's work do not necessarily define his career or his abilities.

The Millar idea mentioned above of a Superman saga that ends with him as earth's sun burns out is pretty cool. It actually gave me an idea, which I think is general enough that anyone could steal (With my thanks if they can get it published):

What about a Superman series where every issue flashforwards in line 100 years because Superman (for the purposes of the out of continuity series) doesn't age? You start with a Superman in the 1950s or some other "classic era" in an issue. Next issue, he's 100 years older and everyone he knows is dead, and he's got a different human identity, but he's still Superman, and you can tell he feels very alone and people remind him of other people and it's sad and bitter sweet. Then there's another hundred years. And another. Eventually you get a guy who is almost like Dr. Manhattan- sticks to the Superman core and identity, but he starts to with all that time and perspective, and having gotten used to losing everyone he loves over and over again and seeing the whole world constantly change around him, becomes insular reflective and less human, but somehow wiser?

This also offers a writer and illustrators a fun chance to draw futuristic worlds and do a little science fiction, you know?

And then it ends with the end of the Solar System, and Superman with no powers on a barren earth watching the now red sun prepare to nova. He thinks he's going to die. It novas and that brings back his powers, and we see this supercharged Solar Superman like energy guy (Or maybe it's just Superman with energy around him- glowing) riding out ahead of the nova wave. A Green Lantern (In a futuristic uniform) approaches from the side, thinking he's in need of rescue and then sees who it is and is in awe and just salutes him as he goes by and shouts "Where to next?". Superman: "Up, up, and away!". SUPERMAN WINK. THE END.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-14-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Having read Millar's Chronoauts miniseries, I would say off the top of my head he might have been better writing a younger Superman like new52 Superman than SuperDad as well, but the four issues I've happened to have read of Millar's work do not necessarily define his career or his abilities.
    You should think about reading Millar's Superman: Red Son mini, his Superman Adventures run (based off the animated show), Superior, Huck, Jupiter's Circle or Jupiter's Legacy. If you want a pretty clear view on what his Superman looks like. (he also did some in continuity Superman work that I'm having a hard time trcking down)

All of those books are love letters to his classic ideal of Superman or they have that ideal impeded in them somewhere (usually with a Superman inspired character)

I don't want to speak for his views today, but since the new 52 started I've heard and read that he hasn't been too into the idea of that Superman (I remember him being particularly not interested in Jimmy knowing the secret). Based off his actual Superman work he's more interested in a more 'classic' take on him much like Superdad.

But, if I could have your ear (eyes lol) for a minute, I'd really like to recommend you read at least Jupiter's Circle and Jupiter's Legacy. Both might REALLY be to your liking, because I know you're really into the 1950's aesthetic and mature content in your Superhero books. It also has a Superman character in both, BUT it also has a child superhero (not unlike Jon actually). However he's pretty resent and isn't the absolute focus of the books by a long shot. I also implore you to give Superman: Red Son a try. Quite a lot of people put it up there as one of the great Superman stories.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

If Millar does write SUPERMAN, I'm there. I actually really enjoy quite a bit of his current output when it isn't bogged down in shock value stuff. Even that "shock value stuff" I've learned to tolerate as just "his thing", though. The dude tells fun stories.

There's also something about the fact that his life is finite that I find charming. I can't fully put my figure on it. The visual of him actually finally needing the glasses as an old man is really nice to me. Millar seems to like the idea of Superman's lifespan being that of however long the sun takes to become fully read. He did it in Red Son as a grounded but 'mythic' (over used word) way of showing Superman become an old man.

Also...HOLY CRAP YOUR BACK!!! Great to hear from you again
    I know what you mean. I like fact that he has an end like the rest of us albeit an extended one and it to me anyways increases the importance of what he does with the time he has. While super, he is still like us. He looked like a man who has lived a beautiful and long life appreciating what he has created. Not unlike grand parents looking at their family and the succeeding generations after them with love and pride. He's not some distant unapproachable god-like being but just a man. It was like visceral connection to this character in a way. Anyways Thanks man! Glad to be back!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

(he also did some in continuity Superman work that I'm having a hard time trcking down)
    He co-write with Immonen, it was good stuff. But yeah I expect a 6 issue mini if something is possible.

Retired

I'd be happy if Millar was going to write something like SUPERMAN ADVENTURES, again, but I doubt he'll be allowed to do that.