Default FemForce from AC Comics: Anybody still buy it these days?

Back in the early 1990s, I use to enjoy AC Comics' FemForce.

However, I haven't seen any copies in stores in I don't know how long, and I was curious as to whether anybody has read them recently and what they think / thought of it these days.

(I'd consider asking my comic book shop to order a copy for me, but considering the price and I believe it's in b&w, I kinda wonder if it's worth the effort.)

I still get it, but it's not a patch of what it was once. I've been with it since issue 8 and I live in hope of a recovery. It's on issue 174 now. 80 pages, quarterly.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    I still get it, but it's not a patch of what it was once. I've been with it since issue 8 and I live in hope of a recovery. It's on issue 174 now. 80 pages, quarterly.
    I bought it until maybe issue #80, but dropped it when I gave up on regularly buying comic books (for about fifteen years).

I've been re-reading some old issues (in the mid-#30s) and was remembering how much fun it could get.

Incredible Member

I'm still an avid reader of Femforce. But I think it has gone downhill a lot. It's a shadow of what it once was.

By the way, it looks like Previewsworld has FemForce #175 being released on the 29th of this month?
    Femforce #175
    The FEMFORCE must stop the gigantic stone ZAZURRA, battle LADY LUGER and face BLITZFRAU in this HISTORIC 175Th ISSUE! Backups include RAD fighting in Siberia, MS. Victory and TARA versus a monster, SYNN matching wits with a brain, and NIGHTVEIL trapped on Dark Dhagor!!
    Writers: Stephanie Heike, Mark G. Heike, Andrew Hawnt and Mark Holmes
    Artists: Rock Baker, Dan Gorman, Ricardo Desini, Jacob Bear, Francesco Savi, Bill Black, Jeff Austin, Scott Shriver , Jacob Bear, Mark Dail and Michael Bowers
    Cover Artist: Stephanie Heike and Mark Heike (standard version “A”)
    Bill Black (alternate version “B”)
    Format: Standard comic book size, saddle-stitched
    Dimensions: 10″ X 6.50″
    Page Count: 80 pages
    Color: Black and White (with color covers)
    Intended Audience: All ages
    Genre: Action/adventure/superhero/glamor
    Frequency: Quarterly
    Retail Price: $9.95

Incredible Member

I didn't know it still was being published. I haven't seen an issue anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I don't think many stores would carry it unless they've got people who requested it.

A black-and-white comic book with a $9.95 cover price that's published once every three months, it would be a risk for a store to order any of them and then have unsold copies just sitting around and taking up shelf space. (And I assume, like most comic books ordered through Diamond, that unsold copies are NOT returnable.)

Wasn't aware that AC was still alive; of course, I haven't been near a comic shop in several years and no one bought it there, anyway.

I was always rather lukewarm to that series. It wasn't anything spectacular and AC mostly used amateurs on the interiors. I much preferred their black & white reprints of Golden Age material, like Golden Age Greats and men of Mystery. Those were some nice collections at a great price. A shop I used to got to, back in the early 90s, in Charleston, SC, used to cary much of their line. That shop was pretty good about supporting independent companies (though some more than others). I also used to get the Catalan Communications-published graphic novels, from European creators, like Pepe Moreno's Zeppeling and Rebel, and Enki Bilal's work, at that same store. It was also the only place I could get Vietnam Journal, from Don Lomax and Apple Comics.

All-New Member

Hey all, thanks for starting this thread

I read Femforce, and since issue 172 have been writing backup stories (I'm Andrew Hawnt, listed in the Previews text above). It may not be out as often as it was, but I must say it's a ludicrous amount of fun to write for, and AC Comics have been a pleasure to work with.

It's a nice change from the other stuff I do (aside from a day job I write for a horror mag, recently had stuff in Doctor Who Adventures and the Judge Dredd Megazine and have a bunch of books out. Last month I ended a 92 issue run as a staff writer for a national music magazine here in the UK) and I'm looking forward to the future. It's a title I read as a teenager and came back to a year and a half ago.

I have a deep love for a wide range of comics, but at heart I'll always love superheroes. Femforce is a lot of fun to do

Incidentally, I love reading the forums here. I may not agree with everything, but the passion here is a joy to behold.

Much respect,
    Andrew

Can anyone provide insight to the series now? I’m tempted to but the omniboos to catch up.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Would you believe FemForce #193 is due out this month?

FEMFORCE #193
    (W) Bill Black
    (A) Bobby Ragland, Mark & Stephanie Heike
    (A/CA) Eric Coile, Bill Black

Nikki Latimer is near death from exposure to dark matter radiation caused by Stardust. Paragon convinces Dusty to use Rurian technology to revive her... the same machine that brought him out of stasis years ago. This results in metamorphosis that's great for Nikki but bad news for Ms. Victory- Femparagon!

In Shops: Jul 14, 2021
    SRP: $5.95
    * https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR211331

Astonishing Member

There's also a spinoff called Super Babes. I haven't checked them out but I see them listed on the online store I buy at.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I would've said this a year ago.
    During the thick of Covid-19s hit on the industry and shops were getting zero new product sometimes for months a FemForce issue appeared at my LCS.
    I hadn't seen one in over a decade. Asked my clerk and he said a guy was cancelling his hold box. He was getting it, come to find out, from 300+ hold box files he was the only customer getting FemForce.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I gave up on Femforce about 5 years ago. I'll give it another go.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.