View Poll Results: What closest summerises your view?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beauitful post, full of love.

15 20.27%
  • Well meaning, but disappointly flawed

21 28.38%
  • Meh. It was slap-dash, and lazy/jumping on the band wagon (not offensive)

8 10.81%
  • Seriously flawed and ill-thought-out attempt at supporting LGBT people

7 9.46%
  • #EPICfail

3 4.05%
  • Oh for goodness sake, is nothing good enough for the LGBT community?

20 27.03%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Why would people not assume they're LGBT characters? Why would they assume they're created specifically for the occasion? That makes no sense.
    Why most people would think in that way ?, not everyone thinks like a social activist.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think its just a Tweet, and that we should all move on to debate something else.

I voted the first option to be positive but for a second thought of clicking the last. Marvel/Disney is probably the most supportive mega corporation of the LGBT community and has been for many years, and since when is it not valid support if someone (and you realize these are comic book character's and not actually people right?) isn't the same race gender or sexual orientation. This whole topic makes me sad for those complaining.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

They can fuck off with that post. Here they are trying to diminish their marginalized/queer franchise in every conceivable way and then they don't even pit up any gay characters on the tweet in the group shot? Get a clue Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Why most people would think in that way ?, not everyone thinks like a social activist.
    It's not thinking like a social activist. It's thinking like a person capable of thought. People know that Marvel makes comics. So if they see comic book art of characters in a post about LGBT solidarity, the most reasonable assumption to make would be, "Oh, these characters are probably gay." Jumping to "These characters were probably created specifically for this single post" makes absolutely no sense. If I'm flipping around the Internet and I see a bunch of characters with "Happy Hannukah!" above them, I'm not going to assume some guy drew a bunch of random OCs, I'm going to assume it's a bunch of Jewish characters. Because I am capable of extrapolating from context clues.

BANNED

I just...I can't even.

It's kind of sad when I, as a member of the gay community, can agree with a lot of the criticisms thrown towards my "community".

The people who have died in the incident are very likely not even buried yet, and people want to quibble over exactly how support for the tragedy is displayed.

Utterly disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I think its just a Tweet, and that we should all move on to debate something else.
    True. I'm done with the LGBT related recent threads.

It's not thinking like a social activist. It's thinking like a person capable of thought. People know that Marvel makes comics. So if they see comic book art of characters in a post about LGBT solidarity, the most reasonable assumption to make would be, "Oh, these characters are probably gay." Jumping to "These characters were probably created specifically for this single post" makes absolutely no sense. If I'm flipping around the Internet and I see a bunch of characters with "Happy Hannukah!" above them, I'm not going to assume some guy drew a bunch of random OCs, I'm going to assume it's a bunch of Jewish characters. Because I am capable of extrapolating from context clues.
    You may be, but this is the Internet that we are talking about.

And when i was talking about the OCs, i was talking about that if people thinks that those unknown characters are gay, they are not going to think that those characters are actual but obscure comic characters.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I just...I can't even.

It's kind of sad when I, as a member of the gay community, can agree with a lot of the criticisms thrown towards my "community".

The people who have died in the incident are very likely not even buried yet, and people want to quibble over exactly how support for the tragedy is displayed.

Utterly disgusting.
    You're being way too harsh. People have been criticizing Marvel for lacking in LGBT representation on here for a while now, it shouldn't be at all surprising that Marvel being slightly tone-deaf in the wake of this tragedy would annoy people. You think this is "utterly disgusting"? Take a look at this to see what's really disgusting. http://www.advocate.com/religion/201...ers-isnt-alone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    You're being way too harsh.
    No, I don't believe that I am.

People have been criticizing Marvel for lacking in LGBT representation on here for a while now, it shouldn't be at all surprising that Marvel being slightly tone-deaf in the wake of this tragedy would annoy people.
    What's "tone-deaf" is complaining about "proper" representation not even a week (not even three full days) after people have lost their lives and suffered injury; taking this tragedy to speak out on an "annoyance".

You think this is "utterly disgusting"? Take a look at this to see what's really disgusting. http://www.advocate.com/religion/201...ers-isnt-alone
    Two very different things can be "utterly disgusting" in two very different ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Six hours ago Marvel's twitter page made a post with a picture of Avengers in-front of a rainbow, including the hashtag #OrlandoUnited. But what do you think of the post? It's noticeable, while supporting the LGBT community... they do so using solely str8 Avengers. And solely white Avengers (when it was latino night at Pulse, and a lot of the victims were from BOTH the LGBT and latino community). They could have used Loki or Wiccan or MAC or Northstar or Mystique. But didn't. Was this a brilliantly supportive post? A well meaning, but failed attempt at being an ally? Or a complete failing, once again summarising why Marvel doesn't get it when it comes to LGBT anything.

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/742778640694452224

P.S. please bare in mind Disney (not Marvel) is donating $1 million to support victims and survivors of the massacre; which matters far more than any tweet ever could.
    They just want Avengers to become more popular.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Two very different things can be "utterly disgusting" in two very different ways.
    On that part at least we can agree, I'm certainly disgusted by your reaction to this thread.

No, I don't believe that I am.

What's "tone-deaf" is complaining about "proper" representation not even a week (not even three full days) after people have lost their lives and suffered injury; taking this tragedy to speak out on an "annoyance".

It's never about the people. Only the romanticized politicized drama of it all. No matter who is being killed, how they are being killed, or simply why they are being killed.

BANNED

The shooting was on Saturday night, and broke to most people Sunday night, and the image was posted Tuesday. They had all of Sunday and Monday to carefully consider what to say about it on Twitter. They chose to lamely photoshop an image with a bunch of Straight White Dudes.

You know, people keep talking about how the movie audience wouldn't recognize the characters. Even setting aside the fact that it's gross that Marvel Studios hasn't included any LGBT characters, my response has to be: How stupid do you think people are? No, really, do you think people are all complete idiots who are incapable of figuring anything out through context? "Marvel, when making a post expressing solidarity with the LGBT community, posted an image with characters I don't recognize? What could it mean? I guess it'll be a mystery for the ages!" Anyone with any grasp of logic will figure out that, hey, these characters they're not familiar with are probably LGBT characters, given the context of expressing solidarity with the LGBT community.
    True.

Marvel should have enough time to assign an artist to draw an art dedicated to the tragedy, not that image who looks like they're going on a fight when an image of them just standing, looking sad or have some crying would have been a better image. And it shouldn't be just the Avengers characters.

BANNED

On that part at least we can agree, I'm certainly disgusted by your reaction to this thread.
    Equality at its finest.