Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I guess the writers want Jon to have his uncle ben moment.
    His Uncle Ben was a pet cat?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The criticisms remind me of when Bendis was writing Daredevil. People asked him why he put the character through so much and he responded with something like "what would I write, Matt eating a sandwich and having a normal day?" Now replace Matt with Jon and sandwich with waffles, lol

Hope and optimism aren't when bad things don't happen, it's when we overcome bad things. This is the start of the arc, why would there not be a dilemma presented? Why would anyone care about Jon ever, if all he did was sit around with Lois?

Rebirth never had the mission statement of taking drama out of stories. I mean Johns wrote it, right? We're getting back to what makes people pay attention and obviously we're going to see the inner heroes shine through. You don't have to be more than vaguely familiar with comics to understand the power of death, or the notable lack thereof in many stories. This is a clear parallel with an early Damian scene, with Peter Parker (who is the first (meta) son of Superman), and with the dad of steel himself.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy's Name View Post
    His Uncle Ben was a pet cat?
    I was referring to the power and responsibility angle.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Glad I read the spoilers for this first (thanks for them by the way ) before purchasing this one.

Easy pass for me. Zero interest where a kid kills a cat learning to control his powers and it doesn't sound like much even happened in this issue

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Glad I read the spoilers for this first (thanks for them by the way ) before purchasing this one.

Easy pass for me. Zero interest where a kid kills a cat learning to control his powers and it doesn't sound like much even happened in this issue
    A hawk swoops out of the sky and snatched Jon's cat. The ten year old boy is scared and angry. His heat vision activates. The beam is too large, too powerful and not acurate. He wanted to graze the hawk, or scare it, make it drop the cat. Instead, the beams char both the hawk and the cat.

It's not like Jon maliciously tortured animals. He doesn't have any training and he made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The criticisms remind me of when Bendis was writing Daredevil. People asked him why he put the character through so much and he responded with something like "what would I write, Matt eating a sandwich and having a normal day?" Now replace Matt with Jon and sandwich with waffles, lol

Hope and optimism aren't when bad things don't happen, it's when we overcome bad things. This is the start of the arc, why would there not be a dilemma presented? Why would anyone care about Jon ever, if all he did was sit around with Lois?

Rebirth never had the mission statement of taking drama out of stories. I mean Johns wrote it, right? We're getting back to what makes people pay attention and obviously we're going to see the inner heroes shine through. You don't have to be more than vaguely familiar with comics to understand the power of death, or the notable lack thereof in many stories. This is a clear parallel with an early Damian scene, with Peter Parker (who is the first (meta) son of Superman), and with the dad of steel himself.
    Right. This... isn't dark. Not at all. This is drama. This is Jon learning that his power, while cool, are also scary if not used right. He'll learn. He'll rise above his mistake and make a hero of himself. That's hope. People are thinking like this will lead him to be something like early Damian when it's not even close. Jon is hurting now, so let's see how the story goes from there.

Looks to be progressing about as underwhelming as I expected. Nothing terrible, just nothing interesting. Good art, but that's about it.

The cat thing wasn't exactly pleasant but didn't offend me. The art didn't really have to depict the dead body but all the same, I get what it was going for. I just don't care enough about Jon as a character for it to make me feel anything. Nothing about this character is earned. Its all forced. So things will only get worse from here when the inevitable "Jon has extraordinary latent ability greater than his father's and greater than anyone in the worldz" story really gets into full swing, and we essentially lose a Superman title as this one will in practice star a character no one asked for and only exists due to panicky mandate.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-15-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

More importantly, I wonder what Bruce and Diana were up to? Something that clearly involved Jon. I'm also thinking about Kathy's involvement. Some are already saying she'll be Jon's first friend where he can tell her about himself. Hope that happens, dude needs friends.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Ive said this before,but jon is getting his powers way earlier than his dad,and in this issue the power he used seemed to be very powerful for his age also.
    Well yeah, but Superdad got his powers rather late in comparison to most versions didn't he?

I think the drama can come from Jon using his powers and getting caught by a girl in doing so. This in-turn could upset his parents because they really want to keep their identities secret.

Burning the cat felt like shock value drama. I don't think it's necessary. I want to see the Super-family saving things, not killing them (accident or not).

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I thought this was a great start. Much like with Damian, I don't understand why people want a 10 year old to be written as a perfect little angel that has it all figured out. Getting powers like that are going to come with some growing pains and learning. If it didn't god would it be boring

I think a lot of us might have been a little more forgiving if the "being scared of your powers" concept hadn't recently been done by Pak where it was handled far better (imo).

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    I think a lot of us might have been a little more forgiving if the "being scared of your powers" concept hadn't recently been done by Pak where it was handled far better (imo).
    He did it with a 10 year old? Must have missed it. If you were sitting down to write a character arc about a kid just realizing he has powers what other direction is there really to go? It's a natural progression

Nothing about this character is a natural progression. That's the crux of the issue.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Nice to see Superdad and son getting away with things that would've got New52 Supes vilified and burned at the stake.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"