Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Titans: Rebirth, #1

Wally encounters his former friends in Dan Abnett, Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund's "Titans: Rebirth" #1.

Full review here.

Fantastic issue to make the transition from Rebirth to the Titans ongoing. I loved it and can't wait for the series to start.

Probably the best of the actual Rebirth issues. Like the rest, not much plotwise, but a lot of heart.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

DC is killing my finances. In the first 2 weeks alone they've already had a half dozen outstanding issues, none of which were even part of the respective forthcoming series.

I knew they would be hard-pressed to top Green Arrow. After Flash did that, there was no way I thought they could get better once again. Apparently I was wrong.

Loved this book from cover to cover. I don't know a lot about the Teen Titans (hint hint, if there's a Deluxe or Absolute version anyone thinks I should get, tell me now!!), but I have a feeling this may be one of the top-selling books of all these titles next to Batman, if the issues are as good as this one. And it would seem that this book will be the flagship for the main plot of Rebirth as well, or at least one of the most significant titles.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I'm actually considering springing for the omnibus Sure, I'd normally not be interested in over 3/4 of the titles in it and I sure can't afford to be loyal to more than three titles at most, but dang so far so great.
    Last edited by Kyer; 06-15-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

I'm very surprised about how much I loved this. This was much better than Flash: Rebirth in many ways honestly so I'll be following this book blindly.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I'm very surprised about how much I loved this. This was much better than Flash: Rebirth in many ways honestly so I'll be following this book blindly.
    Offhand the only things dealing with a speedster that I loathed worse than Flash: Rebirth was Act Of God (no powers? Boring and depressing that they stayed that way.) Flashpoint (Let's see how many of our characters we can kill off in horrible ways!) and ANYTHING with Bar Torr in it. Gag me.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

i can't find the spoiler tag lol. There is some spoilers down below in my post. Warning.
    ------------------

Abnett and his team destroyed on this issue. The preview didn't look so great but i'm glad i listened to all the people praising it in the other thread.

I'm not even a big fan of this lineup of the Titans except Donna, my team is the Tim Drake led Young Justice version but i still had so many feels throughout the issue. This issue is the embodiment of what Rebirth promised to deliver. It achieved what's expected of a #1. It got me so hyped up and invested in everything going on beyond this book. Especially those last few pages after speculating the memory loss and whatever is happening to them might continue to happen "...but they don't understand how strong our friendship is/no matter what they do they won't keep us apart/the Titans are going to figure this out... together" as Wally points to the initial picture of the Titans it showed at the beginning. Powerful. Sent shivers down my spine.

Basically what i hope for out of team books and what i was hoping from Rebirth. No complaints/Highly recommended.

Side note: Oh, i didn't even realize this was the Rebirth special i thought it was the #1 issue. Even so, everything still the same except that it's not the #1 as i thought. It might as well be a number one issue as not many first issues will start off better.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-15-2016 at 06:08 PM.

The new Lilith costume reminds me of Kenny from South Park so I hope Lilith does not die.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    i can't find the spoiler tag lol. There is some spoilers down below in my post. Warning.
    ------------------

Abnett and his team destroyed on this issue. The preview didn't look so great but i'm glad i listened to all the people praising it in the other thread.

I'm not even a big fan of this lineup of the Titans except Donna, my team is the Tim Drake led Young Justice version but i still had so many feels throughout the issue. This issue is the embodiment of what Rebirth promised to deliver. It achieved what's expected of a #1. It got me so hyped up and invested in everything going on beyond this book. Especially those last few pages after speculating the memory loss and whatever is happening to them might continue to happen "...but they don't understand how strong our friendship is/no matter what they do they won't keep us apart/the Titans are going to figure this out... together" as Wally points to the initial picture of the Titans it showed at the beginning. Powerful. Sent shivers down my spine.

Basically what i hope for out of team books and what i was hoping from Rebirth. No complaints/Highly recommended.

Side note: Oh, i didn't even realize this was the Rebirth special i thought it was the #1 issue. Even so, everything still the same except that it's not the #1 as i thought. It might as well be a number one issue as not many first issues will start off better.
    I'll also note that we see this picture in the present twice. And the first time, Wally is missing. And it feels like something is clearly missing. He knows he's missing and he's missing because the Titans don't recall who he is.

After he gives them their memories back, he's back in the picture.

Wally's place in the world will slowly be restored as he restores peoples' memories of him.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'll also note that we see this picture in the present twice. And the first time, Wally is missing. And it feels like something is clearly missing. He knows he's missing and he's missing because the Titans don't recall who he is.

After he gives them their memories back, he's back in the picture.

Wally's place in the world will slowly be restored as he restores peoples' memories of him.
    Good addition. I was more focused on the first showing as they were taking the picture but when you really sit and think about that contrast it does make the whole thing even more powerful.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    ------------------

As for your point about Tim's Titans, I'm hoping that he and his friends end up getting their own Rebirth as Young Justice, borrowing the initial concept from the show (i.e., a League-sponsored training team that's as much about the kids' bonds to their mentors as it is about the kids' bonds to each other). That said, it will be a while before that happens. However, for the first time in a long while, I feel like I can hope for such things without it being wishful thinking; and in that regard, I consider Rebirth to be an unmitigated success.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    As for your point about Tim's Titans, I'm hoping that he and his friends end up getting their own Rebirth as Young Justice, borrowing the initial concept from the show (i.e., a League-sponsored training team that's as much about the kids' bonds to their mentors as it is about the kids' bonds to each other). That said, it will be a while before that happens. However, for the first time in a long while, I feel like I can hope for such things without it being wishful thinking; and in that regard, I consider Rebirth to be an unmitigated success.
    Couldn't agree more. Superman, Superboy and Tim Drake is what got me into DC Comics. If a Young Justice or Teen Titans team with Tim/Connor/Bart could get a Rebirth like what was seen in this Titans book. OMG. That's basically all i want from DC. I wouldn't complain about anything else DC until that series ends.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

I'm fine with Teen Titans being Robin, Beast Boy, C̶y̶b̶o̶r̶g̶Kid Flash, Raven, and Starfire; let Tim and his friends stand separate from the Titans.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Honestly, I know everyone wants the YJ4 together, but at least presently I think believing Tim will be with the rest of them is a lost cause.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey