Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Superman" #1 Introduces Mysteries, Tragedy to Clark & Lois' Family

Lois and Clark's son learns the downside to super powers, while Superman gets to know his new Justice League teammates.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

"Let's bring hope back to DC!"

Little boy uses laser eyes to annihilate kitten in issue #1.

BANNED

Artist uses Wonder Woman rendition to annihilate my interest

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post

Yeah, I really hope that this gets resolved quickly and in a positive way. I'm really not going to be entertained by watching a child torturing himself just because he made a mistake.

BANNED

It's such a lazy way to create drama.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Harry Potter (a straight up a kids book) has people being legitimately killed left and right. If you're not gonna insult a child's mental and emotional inelegance, and explain to them that people and animals can die, then don't do that to me."Hope" doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen sometimes, and issues don't come up. It's not letting it drag you down or define you.

The scene is also beautifully juxtaposed with Clark saving the lives of the farm animals from the fire. Jon basically learned a hard Superman lesson on a smaller scale. Now there are a lot of complex emotions going on in Jon's mind due to 1) breaking the rules 2) taking a life 3) and possibly getting caught 4) and not living up to what he's seen his dad do. The outburst at the table was an awkward (intentionally) articulation of all of those feelings.

Good stuff in my book
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-15-2016 at 03:06 PM.

WW looks really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Harry Potter (a straight up a kids book) has people being legitimately killed left and right. If you're not gonna insult a child's mental and emotional inelegance, and explain to them that people and animals can die, then don't do that to me."Hope" doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen sometimes, and issues don't come up. It's not letting it drag you down or define you.

The scene is also beautifully juxtaposed with Clark saving the lives of the farm animals from the fire. Jon basically learned a hard Superman lesson on a smaller scale. Now there are a lot of complex emotions going on in Jon's mind due to 1) breaking the rules 2) not taking a life 3) and possibly getting caught 4) and not living up to what he's seen his dad do. The outburst at the table was an awkward (intentionally) articulation of all of those feeling.

Good stuff in my book
    I agree. Not only was the juxtaposition beautifully done, hope to me isn't things being sunny from the start or people having untested strength or idealism. Your Harry Potter example is very apt. To go even further back to stories of my childhood that meant something to me and generations before me, Little Women, A Little Princess, and The Secret Garden featured young girls dealing with very dark stuff, and they don't always handle the situations with utmost cheer. They do struggle. Yet, out of it they become stronger. This issue doesn't betray the REBIRTH hope theme. Hope is being able to see the light in the darkness, but to do that there has to first be darkness. Jon is on a journey here. We're watching his hope get tested and developed into something stronger. I want hope that is earned and hard won, because anything less isn't real or meaningful to me.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'm intrigued by the mystery of it....but I do hope it won't take a full two years to resolve.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I liked the issue. You can feel the mixed up emotions in Jon. Helps to have read this while listening to a piano instrumental lol. I particularly loved the outburst and the moment he was in his room eavesdropping on the Trinity. Seeing them through Jon's eyes was fun. He's heard about these people and there they are and of course they'd look mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post

This post nicely sums up every problem I have with DC's current approach to Superman through Rebirth.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I really don't see the cat thing as being indicative of dark and dreary. Was it a poor man's version of Pak's Action scene of young Clark burning the fields? Absolutely. But the intent wasn't darkness. That said, I still have absolutely no confidence in the hope and optimism advertising mantra that they're pushing. Its a given to anyone experienced with this regime's work that they default to a certain style and that it will remain prominent despite advertising tags.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I agree. Not only was the juxtaposition beautifully done, hope to me isn't things being sunny from the start or people having untested strength or idealism. Your Harry Potter example is very apt. To go even further back to stories of my childhood that meant something to me and generations before me, Little Women, A Little Princess, and The Secret Garden featured young girls dealing with very dark stuff, and they don't always handle the situations with utmost cheer. They do struggle. Yet, out of it they become stronger. This issue doesn't betray the REBIRTH hope theme. Hope is being able to see the light in the darkness, but to do that there has to first be darkness. Jon is on a journey here. We're watching his hope get tested and developed into something stronger. I want hope that is earned and hard won, because anything less isn't real or meaningful to me.
    Amply put. Finding light in the darkness is the most genuine form of hope, in my opinion. Especially for those just starting their heroes journey.

Amazing Member

Bravo DC for making me like and care about Jons development, That kitty scene was emotionally strong and sad and wow that staredown with Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman was epic, i just wish they woulda included their whole conversation.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Is the tragedy supposed to be the cat dying?