Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hate to admit this but I kinda liked this story. Still better than Clark burning a guy's arm off in American Alien. Looks like we're getting yet another origin...Again.

All-New Member

@Prime; my guess is this was done to show her Through the boy's eyes... even if he knows WW & Bats as heroes, he doesn't know them personally... so from a distance seeing them talking to his father, they can be imposing to a small child
    Last edited by TJ411; 06-15-2016 at 08:46 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Looks like we're getting yet another origin...Again.
    as far as Origins this seems like more of the 'Origin of Jon'... while setting up basic exposition for how the worlds have 'intertwined' and how much of their Reality really is 'Real' and why certain facts still exist... and others have ceased

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

No offense to tree huggers, but if he had to kill something to start the issue, couldn't it have been some apple tree or something?

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    No offense to tree huggers, but if he had to kill something to start the issue, couldn't it have been some apple tree or something?
    Who the heck would have an emotional break down from burning down a tree by mistake? An animal on the other hand. Now that's a classic. One of the best episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, was when Opie killed a bird, and had to realize exactly what he did. A powerful message for a story written in the early 60s.

MyComicView

Anybody else hate the art work, the artist in the one shot was great but this just looks goofy and childish art style.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyComicView View Post
    Anybody else hate the art work, the artist in the one shot was great but this just looks goofy and childish art style.
    I actually thought the art here was better.

BANNED

Hi.

Long time lurker/ First time poster.

Really enjoyed this issue far more than I thought I would. Haven't really been on board with the SuperDad Revival - I found Action #957 appalling - but there was a lot to like in this issue. That Super-Spread, for instance, is amazing.

Didn't dig the cat getting BBQ'd, tho. Don't feel that it needed to happen and certainly don't feel that we needed the Gratuitous After-Shot(tm) either. Im confident that the cat could have got away with a singeing and Lessons would still have been learned. Close calls and all that.

Despite, still an enjoyable issue.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There's no tension in that, though. Jon is not only ashamed about what's happened, he's also frustrated with the idea of keeping such secrets. His outburst was a projection. If he didn't have to hide what happened, he probably would have just gotten scolded, the tension at the end of the issue wouldn't exist, and the lesson just wouldn't be as strong.

The imagery was a little rough, but we live in a society where it's okay to portray harmed or dead animals more liberally. That makes its own point, you know? Even saying it was "BBQ'd" well, we tend to say things about dead animals that we probably wouldn't about dead humans.

BANNED

Jon's learning the hard way he's destined to succeed his father as the Special One, despite being half-kryptonian. A half-kryptonian girl would no doubt be half-powerful but Jon is a boy. Meanwhile, Damien's already being groomed to become the leader and so Wonder Woman will one day take orders from Damien and play second string to Jon, just as she did with their pops

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Harry Potter (a straight up a kids book) has people being legitimately killed left and right. If you're not gonna insult a child's mental and emotional inelegance, and explain to them that people and animals can die, then don't do that to me."Hope" doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen sometimes, and issues don't come up. It's not letting it drag you down or define you.

The scene is also beautifully juxtaposed with Clark saving the lives of the farm animals from the fire. Jon basically learned a hard Superman lesson on a smaller scale. Now there are a lot of complex emotions going on in Jon's mind due to 1) breaking the rules 2) taking a life 3) and possibly getting caught 4) and not living up to what he's seen his dad do. The outburst at the table was an awkward (intentionally) articulation of all of those feelings.

Good stuff in my book
    Excellently said. Hope isn't the absence of tragedy or hurt...it's knowing better is coming. We all gotta work through the garbage.
    I thought this was an excellent issue. Pat Gleason's art was spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by victorsage View Post
    Who the heck would have an emotional break down from burning down a tree by mistake? An animal on the other hand. Now that's a classic. One of the best episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, was when Opie killed a bird, and had to realize exactly what he did. A powerful message for a story written in the early 60s.
    I wouldn't have an emotional breakdown over it but i would be sad. I care for trees. When i see people flippantly hacking into them and stuff it does affect me. Or, when many of them are lost to fires or being cut down in mass production. I mean, i'm not going to go extreme with it and complain it's in the book or go put myself in front of the tree or whatever but i do like trees. I mean they are very important to life in helping to provide oxygen and are quite beautiful in their own way at times. And some trees have been here before generations of people and will outlast them in still being here when they're gone. Humanity could have more respect for trees imo.

I'd care more about a tree than a cat to be honest. Trees provide essential oxygen, they provide sustenance in fruits and nuts and add beauty to the world... what the heck does a cat do. If some of these people had feral cats around them making noise at all hours of the night and causing havoc around the area some people might change their tune a bit on that aha. Not all cats are cute little kittens that people can baby talk to.

Also, what about the poor mouse that was just going about it's day unknowingly to be devoured by said cat. And was the hawk also blasted? Assuming it was blasted what about the hawk. What about the girl who witnessed it. What about the parents that has to help their son through it, what about Jon being forced to have powers that he didn't ask for which to him is probably an extreme burden at this time. That cat isn't special.

When you look at it from the mouse's perspective. Jon heroically saved it from the big bad cat going to eat it.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-16-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Man, DC is knocking these new Rebirth titles out of the park. At least with their first issues. I was reading Superman and Lois before the new Rebirth and really liked it. That, and the fact that I really like Tomasi and Gleason made me try this new book and it was very good. Not the best of their Rebirth titles, but still really good. Gleason's art is, as always, amazing.

I'm digging the whole "Clark and Lois have a son" thing. Jonathon seems cool, much like Damian in Batman. I also thinks it's interesting how the young girl Kathy already found out that Jonathon has powers. It won't take long for her to figure everything out. I like that aspect of the story. I'm hoping she becomes a close friend to Jonathon and he shares his thoughts and secrets with her.

All in all, I give the book a solid "B".
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor