Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batman" #1 Reveals the Names of Gotham City's Newest Heroes

Tom King, David Finch and Matt Banning's "Batman" #1 introduces us to Gotham's new protectors.

Full article here.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Interesting that Batman's concerns about his skills, his standards, might be called into question with these proxy Supermen.

Interested in the villain especially, I love villains.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

In the end it's Supes and Supergirl trolling :x

Amazing Member

I haven't read the issue, but it seems....pointless...to put Batman in a "certain death" scenario when you know he isnt gonna die so it kinda pulls you away from the story. I mean, it's the first issue, you knew he wasnt gonna die so it just reeks of lazy writing if you ask me. A real surprise would have been to "kill" Batman and have these new heroes take over for, IDK, a full year.
    Oh, and really? Gotham and Gotham Girl? Yikes.

IDK, Batman's mortality is always in jeopardy in a lot of stories. It didn't take me out of this story. Gotham and Gotham Girl is no worse than other monikers. A wink and nudge to Superman and Supergirl, based on at least a couple of their abilities. Man vs superman in the confines of Gotham City is interesting thematically.

Batman sent out a call for Superman or Green Latern for help. We'll see, but it may be a case of becareful what you wish for.

Those 2 are great heroes. jajajaja

Batman appears all the chapter trying to avoid a disaster ... And they come when it was over.. They are better than batman.

1_2465.jpg
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-16-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamBATFAN View Post
    I haven't read the issue, but it seems....pointless...to put Batman in a "certain death" scenario when you know he isnt gonna die so it kinda pulls you away from the story. I mean, it's the first issue, you knew he wasnt gonna die so it just reeks of lazy writing if you ask me. A real surprise would have been to "kill" Batman and have these new heroes take over for, IDK, a full year.
    Oh, and really? Gotham and Gotham Girl? Yikes.
    They put his life on the line because it is already a recurring theme as he "died" last year with GordonBat taking over for a year and in the Pre-52 he "died" with DickBats taking over for a second time over 2-3 years, and the 90's with AzBats and DickBats.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    They put his life on the line because it is already a recurring theme as he "died" last year with GordonBat taking over for a year and in the Pre-52 he "died" with DickBats taking over for a second time over 2-3 years, and the 90's with AzBats and DickBats.
    you just proved my point; what would have been a bigger surprise/shocker? to "kill" Batman in the first issue of this brand new relaunch, or just have the writer come up with a more original story than...almost killing Batman?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    IDK, Batman's mortality is always in jeopardy in a lot of stories. It didn't take me out of this story. Gotham and Gotham Girl is no worse than other monikers. A wink and nudge to Superman and Supergirl, based on at least a couple of their abilities. Man vs superman in the confines of Gotham City is interesting thematically.

Batman sent out a call for Superman or Green Latern for help. We'll see, but it may be a case of becareful what you wish for.
    Every hero is put in certain death scenarios, that's not new, the point im making is come up with a more original story. Let's say Batman didnt even make it to the airplane? what if he had too many obstacles in his way (put in place by these "heroes") in order to prevent Batman from saving the airplane then having Gotham and Gotham Girl *snicker* make the save? You see Batman's struggle to save the plane, only to fail, but in thr end the plane is saved just in time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by newy View Post
    In the end it's Supes and Supergirl trolling :x
    Nah they're both Dr Manhattan!

you just proved my point; what would have been a bigger surprise/shocker? to "kill" Batman in the first issue of this brand new relaunch, or just have the writer come up with a more original story than...almost killing Batman?
    Your missing the Meta commentary that is being carried forward from the Rebirth issue where Calander Man was a Meta Human who constantly died only to be reborn which is a trend for the Batman since the 90's. The surprise was not about shock but to carry forward the narrative King want to go with in analyzing Batman being the sole protector of a City in a World where other cities are protected by Superman, Green Lantern, Flash etc. who all with their powers could have easily saved those people on the plane with no worry about death. Batman is now being challenged on his principles of calling Gotham his city and being the hero they deserve by someone who calls himself Gotham and has the desired powers considering the threats prevalent in the world. Wouldn't a Gotham citizen dream for a Superman like figure to protect their city against a crisis?

Every hero is put in certain death scenarios, that's not new, the point im making is come up with a more original story. Let's say Batman didnt even make it to the airplane? what if he had too many obstacles in his way (put in place by these "heroes") in order to prevent Batman from saving the airplane then having Gotham and Gotham Girl *snicker* make the save? You see Batman's struggle to save the plane, only to fail, but in thr end the plane is saved just in time.
    I don't think it's a problem that heroes are put into those scenarios and this is merely the first issue of the tale. Who's to say more won't be revealed regarding Kobra and Gotham and Gotham Girl *un-snicker* and any connections between them and this scenario.

I'd say it's fairly new for two Super-esque heroes to take up residence in Gotham. I'll see how it plays out. King plays the long game with some fun reveals and twists and he's good with characterization.

Spectacular Member

The whole "would my parents be proud" conversation was terrible. Really, really terrible.

Otherwise I didn't hate this comic.

BANNED

Does anyone else thinks it's too much to be coincidence that Kobra hints were in Batman #1 and that they will also be involved in Nightwing? there hasn't been much done with Kobra since the JSA vs Kobra mini years back. They didn't exist during the New-52 era(pretending Basilisk was something else, very easy to do). Popped up in the free preview for Red/Hood Arsenal once and have been part of that terrible and forgettable Katana mini series which is being published right now.
    I'm game for Kobra being the major antagonists of King's Batman.

I haven't read the issue, but it seems....pointless...to put Batman in a "certain death" scenario when you know he isnt gonna die so it kinda pulls you away from the story.
    It's just another typical Tuesday in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    The whole "would my parents be proud" conversation was terrible. Really, really terrible.
    He was just so friggin' WHINY! He's been reduced from "Bat-God" to "Bed-Wetting-Bat-Wimp"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Otherwise I didn't hate this comic.
    That makes one of us.

I'm tempted to go back and re-read the New 52's Batman: The Dark Knight #1 to find a better Batman story.