Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade, #1

Frank Miller, Brian Azzarello, John Romita Jr. and Peter Steigerwald kick off the beginning of the end for Batman in "Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade."

Full review here.

Amazing Member

This was... underwhelming. And it just ENDS. It felt like a cover band trying to do Dark Knight Returns. Interesting moments, but overall a pretty big letdown that says very little new about Batman or Jason Todd that hasn't been said better by others before.

I disagree. I thought it was pretty good, especially for a done-in-one. There's action and a crime involving the non-Joker villains in the story, but it's all about characterization - with the exception of Joker of course who remains unknowable. I agree with the review in that this "felt" a lot like "RotDK" while being separated by the different creative lineup and time (this is an interesting older Batman who's still in the game, but hasn't realized i's time to hang it up)

I also really like the prophetic nod to Carrie Kelly as Bruce and Alfred agree to why she's the "right" successor to Batman in terms of what she represents.

I was also a bit surprised by where it ended, but I get it. The book knew it didn't need to go there because that's not the climax of the book. The point is seeing how things got there - we pretty much know how it plays out. The rest is perfunctory.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-15-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's been so long since we've had an unrestrained, full throttle Frank Miller on DC characters I'd almost. Almost, almost almost.

Frank Miller is so far beyond most creators it feels as though his books should be coming out on their own day, separate from the rest. This was so brilliant - so dense, so considered, so absurd and playful, so sad and broken and hopeful, so tight.

God.

And JRJR's artwork hasn't looked this good in ages. It was perfect, here.

Wonderful. The best thing I read this week in a landslide. DC would do well to get Frank Miller to write all the things for them.

I'm torn.
    I see the merit in it, the strengths. But I also see the flaws. Overall, it was tight. But it felt like a trailer to a really good movie, we have seen so many times. Croc was Croc. Ivy was ivy. I liked Selina. Idk it's pointless to compare the 2, but while DKR was an elseworlds story, this felt like too canon-ish if that makes sense.

Maybe I got spoiled by Morrison and Snyders big stories, cuz the last few bat things I read felt underwhelming and short. Fillery. But good tho, just short and unsubstantial...I picked up Batman #1and the new Tec as well but haven't read yet so more will be revealed...
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Miller and Azzarello were clicking on all cylinders on this.On the art this the best I've seen from JRJR in awhile.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

Hmm, seems divisive. Not sure if I will pick this up. How many issues is this supposed to be?
    Superhero shows are trash

Incredible Member

Fantastic issue. Is Romita jr. hitting his peak or what? The art was fantastic in this.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Hmm, seems divisive. Not sure if I will pick this up. How many issues is this supposed to be?

Its just a one-shot. Its a decent read overall. I do agree that it does seem to just end rather abruptly. But as far as one-shots go its decent.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    It's a one-shot.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

BANNED

As i predicted, RJR was born to draw Batman! They better make him a regular in the near future in a bat title.

BANNED

This issue was perfection!

Empty is thy hand!

This was very underwhelming. The whole damn thing is a wash.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    As i predicted, RJR was born to draw Batman! They better make him a regular in the near future in a bat title.
    if you loved this issue, i suggest you pick up the Punisher/Batman one shot from the 90s
    https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=P...ENQy_t24X2M%3A

I didn't like it. Alfred's words about Jason lacking empathy and how they portraying smiling while viciously attacking criminals, seems like they are using Jason as a bad example to show how a "worthy sucessor" should be (Carrie Kelly). Also, the set up for the death was very underwhelming.