Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

It's kind of weird for me to think of Superior as a "story", it's more like the Dark Reign of ASM.

Its popular now, I don't see why it would be unpopular later. people might also give more recognition to the SpOck written by Gage, and other writers outside of the title. I think people will probably be a little more critical of certain aspects -- the fact that it was so long, and yet still managed to feel rushed at the end.

If Anna Maria continues to be a regular part of spider-cast, I think it will always be known positively for that -- by most Americans, anyway.

^ From a person that thought SSM was mostly stupid and repetitive, and that ASM #700 was ruined by being turned into SSM #0.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    It's kind of weird for me to think of Superior as a "story", it's more like the Dark Reign of ASM.

Its popular now, I don't see why it would be unpopular later. people might also give more recognition to the SpOck written by Gage, and other writers outside of the title. I think people will probably be a little more critical of certain aspects -- the fact that it was so long, and yet still managed to feel rushed at the end.

If Anna Maria continues to be a regular part of spider-cast, I think it will always be known positively for that -- by most Americans, anyway.

^ From a person that thought SSM was mostly stupid and repetitive, and that ASM #700 was ruined by being turned into SSM #0.
    I'm not saying it won't be popular for a long time coming, but I think it'll end up kind of like HUSH. Extremely popular and well-liked at the time, but as time goes on and there is some more distance from it, it's shortcomings will become more apparent and more focused on by some of the more hardcore comic fans. Much as I want it not to be true, I expect it to be popular with more casual audiences for a long time coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Kraven's Last Hunt pretty much told the same type of story, and Kraven's Last Hunt will nearly always be recommended and ranked over Superior.
    The difference is Kraven's Last Hunt is a story, not a phase with lots of stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    The difference is Kraven's Last Hunt is a story, not a phase with lots of stories.
    Yes, it's a true "era" of the book, which is what makes it work. SpOck was Spidey for long enough for him to have his own chapter in the Spider-Man saga.

Hmmm, interesting question. I agree that it is viewed---and probably will continue to be viewed----mostly favorably and also as a daring and shocking move. But---it is hard to categorize it as a story rather than an era. One of the strikes against the era is that it didn't have clearly defined "story arcs" that could stand on their own for future reference; for example, I thought "Troubled Mind" was the highpoint of the era but it is hard to read as a standalone story from Spidey's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, it's a true "era" of the book, which is what makes it work. SpOck was Spidey for long enough for him to have his own chapter in the Spider-Man saga.
    In my opinion, this is the reason SpOck didn't works. If all Superior era was a simple story arc, it could be a great story, not just a era where Spidey's comics had good sales thanks to the controversy rather than the quality of the stories.

Clone Saga was long enough for him have his own chapter in Spider-Man saga too, and trust me, it isn't a good one.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure folks enjoyed the stories outside of the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I'm pretty sure folks enjoyed the stories outside of the controversy.
    I know a lot of people who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I'm not saying it won't be popular for a long time coming, but I think it'll end up kind of like HUSH. Extremely popular and well-liked at the time, but as time goes on and there is some more distance from it, it's shortcomings will become more apparent and more focused on by some of the more hardcore comic fans. Much as I want it not to be true, I expect it to be popular with more casual audiences for a long time coming.
    As of two years ago, Hush was one of the ten most popular Batman stories.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-master-list/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I know a lot of people who didn't.
    I know a lot of people who didn't enjoy Fraction's Hawkeye, but that doesn't negate the fact that there's readers who enjoyed it beyond the hype or controversy.

BANNED

It was a almost perfect story! My only complains are the way Peter was handled and some of the art in various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I know a lot of people who didn't enjoy Fraction's Hawkeye, but that doesn't negate the fact that there's readers who enjoyed it beyond the hype or controversy.
    For this reason I think this will be know as the most controversy phase in Spider-Man history. Not bad, neither good, just controversial.

For this reason I think this will be know as the most controversy phase in Spider-Man history. Not bad, neither good, just controversial.
    Oh, I think that is selling it short; the story largely received positive reviews and that hasn't changed in the few years since it's publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Strong start. Weak finish. Better than the stuff that followed.
    This is exactly how I remember it, but the concept and initial execution is so strong that it is a classic already. I missed Peter Parker a ton towards the end and couldn't wait to get him back, but in hindsight wish Slott had more time to let the story breathe.

Mighty Member

I would hope it'll sit alongside Maximum Carnage and the Clone Saga as "classics".

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Anyone here remembers New Ways to Die? You know, that story that introduced us to Anti-Venom? Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn were after Spider-Man for being an outlaw to the Superhuman Registration Act?
    I'm the only one here recalling it?

Ok, I have my no reasons, but I believe that is how Superior Spider-Man will be remembered.
    Not quite perfect execution but this is clever.