Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Anyone here remembers New Ways to Die? You know, that story that introduced us to Anti-Venom? Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn were after Spider-Man for being an outlaw to the Superhuman Registration Act?
    I'm the only one here recalling it?

Ok, I have my no reasons, but I believe that is how Superior Spider-Man will be remembered.
    Why wouldn't folks remember New Ways to Die? And Norman's Thunderbolts was a pretty cool run.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Why wouldn't folks remember New Ways to Die? And Norman's Thunderbolts was a pretty cool run.
    That era of Thunderbolts will be remembered quite fondly.
    NWTD wasn't exactly that well received during the BND era, it was better received than most Spidey stories then for featuring classic villains, but nothing that stuck with memory of most fondly.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Fantastic Member

I think in the long run, a few more years down the line there will be those who loved it and those who loathed it trading passive-aggressive commentary on message-boards whenever a new comer asks if they should read it. And yeah, it will probably be generally remembered as decent but not really a classic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    As of two years ago, Hush was one of the ten most popular Batman stories.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-master-list/
    That's exactly what I mean. It's generally viewed very favorably, but it still has its share of criticism by many who find it overrated and severely flawed. I fact, if you follow that link to HUSH's entry, you'll see exactly what I mean. Many people in the comments are discussing how it is overrated, or how they don't enjoy it. I feel like Superior will end up with a very similar reputation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    That era of Thunderbolts will be remembered quite fondly.
    NWTD wasn't exactly that well received during the BND era, it was better received than most Spidey stories then for featuring classic villains, but nothing that stuck with memory of most fondly.
    Even as someone who thought Slott was one of the weaker BND writers (BND ranking: Guggenheim > Wells > Slott > Gale), I thought New Ways to Die was the best BND era story.....until the ending. Where Norman is completely OOC. But i still think it's Slott's best (Spider-Man) work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    That's exactly what I mean. It's generally viewed very favorably, but it still has its share of criticism by many who find it overrated and severely flawed. I fact, if you follow that link to HUSH's entry, you'll see exactly what I mean. Many people in the comments are discussing how it is overrated, or how they don't enjoy it. I feel like Superior will end up with a very similar reputation.
    I liked Hush and haven't read enough Batman to properly judge its place, but I would hope given the contrivances of Superior it won't fare that well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Even as someone who thought Slott was one of the weaker BND writers (BND ranking: Guggenheim > Wells > Slott > Gale), I thought New Ways to Die was the best BND era story.....until the ending. Where Norman is completely OOC. But i still think it's Slott's best (Spider-Man) work.

I liked Hush and haven't read enough Batman to properly judge its place, but I would hope given the contrivances of Superior it won't fare that well.
    I feel the same way. If the thread was about what kind of reputation we hope Superior will have in the future, I'd be singing a different tune. That's just the way I predict it will be thought of, considering the large amount of, frankly entirely undeserved, praise it received as it was being published. It may not reach the height of HUSH where it cracks top 10 lists, but I think it'll end up on many Best of list, probably more for how well known it is rather than it's actual quality, honestly.

There's so many people who won't allow this on their Top 10 Spidey stories list because most of those are classics. Honestly, I'm a fan of all those stories, but I feel Superior deserves to be on that list. It was interesting, shocking, and it had me anticipated for each issue. Sure it could have needed a couple more issues for a more fleshed out ending and more of a surprise as to who was under the goblin mask, but it was still great neverless. A great story that will sustain a great reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Hmmm, interesting question. I agree that it is viewed---and probably will continue to be viewed----mostly favorably and also as a daring and shocking move. But---it is hard to categorize it as a story rather than an era. One of the strikes against the era is that it didn't have clearly defined "story arcs" that could stand on their own for future reference; for example, I thought "Troubled Mind" was the highpoint of the era but it is hard to read as a standalone story from Spidey's history.
    That's a fair point.

Some longer stories do sometimes appear on Best of lists. For example, No Man's Land was an year of the Batman comics and is on CBR's Batman list. The Harry Osborn saga is pretty long as well.

Recent factors in comics have allowed for longer stories. If you have a Marvel Unlimited subscription, it doesn't matter than Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run is 50+ issues. The cost of reading it remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I could see it being the story that people complain about seeing on top ten lists, but it'll still be on top ten lists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I could see it being the story that people complain about seeing on top ten lists, but it'll still be on top ten lists.
    In short, the general reputation may end up being that it's overrated, as Vegan said for Hush. It's placement on top ten lists would be highly controversial.

Astonishing Member

As far as I see, "Superior Spider-Man" will eventually be known as the worst and stupidest Spider-Idea ever!!!

There have been several bad and ridiculous stories through Spider-Man's history; Sins Past and One More Day (erasing the Spider-Marriage) are on the top. But the worst idea ever was without a doubt "Superior Spider-Junk"!!! I still can't accept the cosequences of such event:
    + Turning Black Cat into a full time villain.
    + Making Peter stay away of his family and friends.
    + Even although he wasn't driving, seeing Spider-Man picking a gun and killing a man with it.
    + Seeing Spider-Man savagely and bloodly beating a pair of jesters.

I know there are alternative versions of Peter Parker/Spider-Man which ended becoming monsters, but this was way beyond the acceptable. I could erase ONE single story from continuity, it would be "Superior Spider-Junk". Before it, I would have chosen "One More Day", but "Superior" is much more despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    In short, the general reputation may end up being that it's overrated, as Vegan said for Hush. It's placement on top ten lists would be highly controversial.
    I don't know if there can be a general perception that a story is overrated (the moment that happens, the story is likely underrated). Superior Spider-Man will likely have plenty of fans and some detractors.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I don't know if there can be a general perception that a story is overrated (the moment that happens, the story is likely underrated). Superior Spider-Man will likely have plenty of fans and some detractors.
    If it were underrated, then it would mean that there's largely detractors and some fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    As far as I see, "Superior Spider-Man" will eventually be known as the worst and stupidest Spider-Idea ever!!!
    Hahaha!! Yes, a massive commercial and critical success *will* probably be known as "the worst and stupidest Spider-Idea ever".

...In some alternate universe where popular success and critical acclaim are bad things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Strong start. Weak finish. Better than the stuff that followed.
    Nice summing up!

A great Spider-Man story and Dan Slott should've called it one with this.

When we think about the Superior Spider-Man era, PLEASE don't forget Christopher Yost's work on Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. For me Christopher Yost writes the best SSM. Please let's have a SpOck book.

It'll be like the Clone Saga. Only more favorable. It's a chapter of Spider-Man's life that will always cause conversation. Plus it added quite a few things. Anna Maria, Parker Industries, etc. These are (currently) long lasting effects on the Spider-Man character as a whole.

And if by some miracle SpOck comes back as a permanent addition then it would REALLY have some far reaching effects.