Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954 - The Black Sun

"Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954—The Black Sun #1 (of 2)
    Mike Mignola (W), Chris Roberson (W), Stephen Green (A), Dave Stewart (C), and Mike Huddleston (Cover)
    On sale Sept 21
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    Miniseries
    When an unknown creature attacks a research group on an Arctic expedition, Hellboy and the BPRD are sent to investigate. No longer the newbie, Hellboy thinks he can solve the mystery immediately, but what they find in the snow reveals something much bigger behind the beast."

Exciting stuff!

image.jpeg

Amazing Member

i love the helboy vs nazis stories, cant wait.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Default Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954 - The Black Sun

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/29-...he-Black-Sun-1

I wasn't familiar with Stephen Green, who will be handling art duties on this, so I looked him up. Very impressive stuff! I imagine I could hit a button or two and find out for myself, but is anyone else familiar with past work he's done? Now I'm even more excited for this!

There's already a thread for this story. I'll see if I can get Gdeo to move your comment over.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    There's already a thread for this story. I'll see if I can get Gdeo to move your comment over.
    Oops, my apologies! Thought I checked, but obviously it slipped my eye.

Nobody has anything to say on this one?

Obviously overshadowed by BPRD this week, but still a pretty fun and crazy issue.

Oooh, forgot this was coming out this week!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Obviously overshadowed by BPRD this week, but still a pretty fun and crazy issue.
    I just finished reading it myself, I was a little sad it wasn't honest to goodness aliens but nazis in UFO's is a fantastic concept too!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Fun issue, doesn't have the emotional heft of BPRD obviously but this series is delivering on it's mission statement of pulpy old school Hellboy adventures. I'm also impressed by Stephen Green, really like what we've seen of the monster thus far. Even though it's cool to bring in A list artists for single arcs I wouldn't mind Green staying on as the series' regular artist. He retains Mignola's design sensibilities but the heavier, bolder detail reminds me of Corben.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. - 1954 - Black Sun #1 (2016) - Page 13.jpg

The artwork this issue is great, but what really stood out to me was the racist attitudes of the some of the characters. We've seen plenty of people express similar sentiments towards the non-human members of the BPRD before, but this strikes a different nerve. Quite fitting given the time this story is set in, and a reminder that society has improved on some levels, but still has such a long way to go.

Here's the last of my my three interviews with Chris Roberson about his current projects with Mike Mignola. This time we're discussing Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. with artist Stephen Green.

That's so great Stephen Green is such a big fan of the Mignolaverse. You can tell he really enjoyed drawing these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    That's so great Stephen Green is such a big fan of the Mignolaverse. You can tell he really enjoyed drawing these issues.
    To be honest, he had way too much on his plate to have time for an interview, but he's such a fan he went above and beyond to do it.

Spectacular Member

well the second issue was a waste of good art, all the exposition gave me flashbacks to Exorcism

Amazing Member

Yeah, probably should have either been a longer serial with more meat, or a single issue told more amusingly. Definitely a letdown after the first issue was so much fun.