Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    You mean you care more about truthiness than truth?
    "truthiness" ???

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    "truthiness" ???
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

looks like this issue has been revived again. https://www.cbr.com/jonah-hex-dc-ret...erate-uniform/

I can see future mini series either quietly ignoring this by changing the color of his clothes, or by directly dealing with it by having someone confront him about this in a story. We'll see.

"Oh no, what will people on twitter think??"
    -probably not Jonah Hex, bounty hunter from the 1880s

Jonah Hex is one of my favorite characters. I never had a problem w. his uniform.

I love Jonah but its time to take him out of the confederate uniform
    It absolutely sends the wrong message and his character is too niche to handle anyone thinking he's a racist hillbilly like a lot of the western heroes of the past

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    He fought on the confederate side.

Given his upbringing...and the mores of his time...it wouldn't be a complete nonsense to write him as if he he was a politically correct middle class 21st century American. Thankfully that's not been done to date...which is why he's one of the few really distinct DC characters. In my top ten.
    Well put, my friend. It would be like making Red Skull a pacifist who loves everyone. RS is supposed to be vile and Hex is supposed to be what he is.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-20-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I love Jonah but its time to take him out of the confederate uniform
    It absolutely sends the wrong message and his character is too niche to handle anyone thinking he's a racist hillbilly like a lot of the western heroes of the past
    He wears it for a reason. And to be honest how many would notice that is a confderate uniform? Outisde of it being gray.

Just have the uniform destroyed to tatters in some ordeal so he has to find the cheapest replacement he can. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well put, my friend. It would be like making Red Skull a pacifist who loves everyone. RS is supposed to be vile and Hex is supposed to be what he is.
    ^^^Well said.

Speaking of Jonah’s outfit, when he was in the future, he wore the colors of The Road Reapers motorcycle gang for nearly the entire 18 issue run. I always wanted that to become a plot point, w. him meeting another Chapter of the gang, and them wondering who in tf he was, or riding into a settlement that had been pillaged by The Reapers in the past, but, it never happened, sadly.

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

For crying out loud folks, quit trying to find problems where there are NONE! Jonah is fine just as he is--his outfit is fine just as it is. It is a reminder to him of the hardships of his life and to change it because some 21 century people has so little a grasp of the full picture of history is nonsense. Back in my day we understood that while the War Between the States dealt with slavery, we also understood that here was more to it than that one simple issue that all could agree on. There were blacks who willingly fought for the Confederacy--not out of fear of the 'oppressive masters' but as men who fought to defend their way of life (not slavery). There is more to the conflict than many are willing to learn about in our day and age. Just as an aside, for all those who approve the destruction of monuments, memorials and the like, you would do well to learn about an Act of Congress passed in 1958 that designated that he tombstones, monuments and remembrances of Confederate soldiers are the monuments of AMERICAN Veterans (look it up). Therefore, all this so-called 'righteous indignation' against those of the failed Confederacy and their graves is the desecration of the grave and memory of men who bled and died in a horrendous war is spitting in the face of a Veteran of the military of the United States of America.

As to the original question, of course he has, look through his stories and find out for yourself. There is a lot more heart in Jonah Hex than in many in our society today. As the Good Book reminds us, "You have not yet suffered to the point of shedding blood." Those valiant fallen of the Union and of the Confederacy spilled their blood, gave their lives and died. Who are we to say anything? Our responsibility is not a war more than 150 years old; our responsibility is here and now to end prejudice and to treat all others regardless of race, gender or orientation with RESPECT and compassion. Then we are doing something useful. As President Lincoln reminded us that we bear malice toward none and come together as one nation standing for truth and justice for ALL. Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by CaptainLiberty76; 06-20-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wow, this thread got brought back from the dead? I think we addressed this back in 2016 when I first posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, this thread got brought back from the dead? I think we addressed this back in 2016 when I first posted it.
    There’s a joke here about this thread rising again, but I’m not gonna make it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    There’s a joke here about this thread rising again, but I’m not gonna make it.
    Yeah, mods, please, put this thread out of its misery. I promise you nothing of value will come of continuing this.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Yes, can we get rid of Hex's uniform please? Also as non-American I really am offended by Captain America's and Wonder Woman's costume but I also want to keep reading the comics of Cap and WW. They should just change Cap/WW/JH because I feel so offended. Also the Punisher... a skull on the chest? Sends the wrong message to the kids. No Emos in my enterteinment. Get rid of the skull, Frank