Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Are there Guardians of Oa anymore?

Indulge me, please. I haven't followed all the GL books and convolutions. Are there any Guardians around anymore? Do they exist in any of the alternates?

One part of COIE and the multiverse was the the Guardians and Oa only existed in the Earth-1 universe. That was slipped up on in several other later alternates that had standard GL's around - like Red Son or the Nail.

What's the current status? Thanks.

It's... complicated
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Most of the origional guardians were killed by Sinestro at the end of Geoff Johns run. And another group of guardians followed Kyle Ryner around for awhile due to him becoming a white Lantern. And now there's some new rouge guardian in the Green Lanterns book that has just popped up.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Incredible Member

I'm curious about the new Guardians, because I don't remember seeing them in Lost Army/Edge of Oblivion.

Astonishing Member

I have a sneaking feeling that the Guardians in general will be rebirthed pretty soon if Geoff allows it. I am not sure if they will magically just come back or it will be a combo on Ganthet, Sayd, the ones in Kyle's book and this mysterious one in Green Lanterns.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I have a sneaking feeling that the Guardians in general will be rebirthed pretty soon if Geoff allows it. I am not sure if they will magically just come back or it will be a combo on Ganthet, Sayd, the ones in Kyle's book and this mysterious one in Green Lanterns.
    I mean, the main problem with them is that started getting hungry with power and forgot their place,, so that's why Geoff had sinestro kill them. I think its a good idea because it gave new opportunities for story with Hal as leader they just did a bad job with the execution. Hopefully it'll be better with Rebirth. I don't think they need the guardians to make the story work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean, the main problem with them is that started getting hungry with power and forgot their place,, so that's why Geoff had sinestro kill them. I think its a good idea because it gave new opportunities for story with Hal as leader they just did a bad job with the execution. Hopefully it'll be better with Rebirth. I don't think they need the guardians to make the story work.
    True I have had my fill of Hal rebelling or Guy infuriating the Guardians, then again having the Lanterns without supervision doesn't quite feel right either. The Guardians are like Odin, Thor does most of the fighting but seeing Odin get up and scrap sometimes is awesome. Having a threat pop up that the Guardians themselves and not just their police force have to help try to stop. Hearing them drop that, "we who were old when time itself was just an infant" before laying the smackdown is always a cool visual as long as you let them demonstrate their power and not get punked all the time.

They are MIA, aren't they? They weren't sent to the pre-universe as we never saw them there. Last I recall was them congratulating Hal Jordan for his leadership of the Corps when they were watching White Lantern Kyle Rayner.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    True I have had my fill of Hal rebelling or Guy infuriating the Guardians, then again having the Lanterns without supervision doesn't quite feel right either. The Guardians are like Odin, Thor does most of the fighting but seeing Odin get up and scrap sometimes is awesome. Having a threat pop up that the Guardians themselves and not just their police force have to help try to stop. Hearing them drop that, "we who were old when time itself was just an infant" before laying the smackdown is always a cool visual as long as you let them demonstrate their power and not get punked all the time.
    YES!!!

The whole 'Guardians are outdated screw ups and need to be killed off' was a story that gets old every time they repeat it. Done well, The guardians barely even need to be around in the story. Send a message. Give an assignment... let the grunts do the day to day...

Until it's necessary to show how awesome they are. They have REALLY downplayed the power of the guardians over the years making the GL's able to wipe them out almost regularly... The GL's were supposedly created because the temptation to use THEIR power was too great. It was best to delegate a portion of it out and let the weaker versions do things.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    They are MIA, aren't they? They weren't sent to the pre-universe as we never saw them there. Last I recall was them congratulating Hal Jordan for his leadership of the Corps when they were watching White Lantern Kyle Rayner.
    Yeah, they stopped showing up when all the GL books besides the main one got cancelled. Except now we have a new rouge lantern in green lanterns.

The classic guardians will probably come back soon bec of Rebirth.

When they do come back, you know they will before the movie comes out. I hope they return to their godlike status. They get pushed around way more than they should. And work best behind the scenes. Having a Corps without them feels empty.

Ganthet and Sayd survived Sinestro's cull at the end of Geoff John's run. But they haven't been seen since then.

Retired

You kinda figure when you got that whole immortal thing going for you, it should mean you can't die.

Astonishing Member

Personally, I think the whole GL universe went off the tracks with the killing of so many in the COIE and then with the giant cooties of the color spectrum. Having the rings powered off the will of the Guardians and their being a bureaucracy that was rarely seen - worked for me.

Getting ring powers from things that I would call the exterminator for, was stupid. The White Lantern, Earth as center of the start of life - moronic.

Going back to the old school is fine. Having the yellow rings being alternate tech from Qward - fine. Same with the other rings, if need be. The entities - ditch them!

Thanks for the info.