Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Last edited by doodledude; 07-21-2014 at 01:30 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Bob,

For such a prolific artist, you sure do post a lot of older work. Regardless, it's good to find you posting your art, again.

I came across a quote, yesterday, that made me think of your approach to art It was bu Joe Kubert.

Kubert, on the importance of life drawing vs. copying from the masters:

Fine artists have learned through the ages by painting from sculptures and copying classic works but, when it comes to really knowing the figure, if you try to learn from copying other people’s drawings you end up with a double exaggeration. This especially holds true when the person who has really affected you and inspired you to draw like them is drawing an exaggerated figure to begin with. When you try to learn from an artist (comics or other) who is adding exaggeration, you end up exaggerating even more, which removes the figure from reality. One could be copying Mark Silvestri, who’s copying John Buscema, who’s copying Hal Foster, who did Life [sic] drawing! I find that, going back to Life drawing is like going back to the well — the source of inspiration — and it is a necessity which I find it [sic] absolutely essential.

[How to Draw from Life (Vanguard, 2009), p. 12]
    SOURCE: http://www.raggedclaws.com/home/2010...rt-on-buscema/

I am curious, Bob - are you game for a challenge? Or, perhaps I should say, a series of challenges? I always want to see your take on a number of different characters that you never seem to draw.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
    Bob,

For such a prolific artist, you sure do post a lot of older work. Regardless, it's good to find you posting your art, again.

I came across a quote, yesterday, that made me think of your approach to art It was bu Joe Kubert.

Kubert, on the importance of life drawing vs. copying from the masters:

Fine artists have learned through the ages by painting from sculptures and copying classic works but, when it comes to really knowing the figure, if you try to learn from copying other people’s drawings you end up with a double exaggeration. This especially holds true when the person who has really affected you and inspired you to draw like them is drawing an exaggerated figure to begin with. When you try to learn from an artist (comics or other) who is adding exaggeration, you end up exaggerating even more, which removes the figure from reality. One could be copying Mark Silvestri, who’s copying John Buscema, who’s copying Hal Foster, who did Life [sic] drawing! I find that, going back to Life drawing is like going back to the well — the source of inspiration — and it is a necessity which I find it [sic] absolutely essential.

[How to Draw from Life (Vanguard, 2009), p. 12]
    SOURCE: http://www.raggedclaws.com/home/2010...rt-on-buscema/

I am curious, Bob - are you game for a challenge? Or, perhaps I should say, a series of challenges? I always want to see your take on a number of different characters that you never seem to draw.
    Sure why not? Just to let you know I don't copy any artist I draw from my imagination and always have.Some characters are just not interesting to draw but I can draw about any character if I want to Charley.
    Last edited by doodledude; 07-28-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doodledude View Post
    Sure why not? Just to let you know I don't copy any artist I draw from my imagination and always have.Some characters are just not interesting to draw but I can draw about any character if I want to Charley.
    You draw from your imagination, fair enough. OK, Bob, here we go.

CHALLENGE # 1

The Spectre versus the Legion of Super Heroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
    You draw from your imagination, fair enough. OK, Bob, here we go.

CHALLENGE # 1

The Spectre versus the Legion of Super Heroes.
    Charles I know you love my artwork.I also appreciate your defense of my lame banning on DW.So I will do these lil challenges just so you can see me draw some of your favorite characters.I will at least have a sketch finished and posted by the weekend.

BANNED

BANNED