Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Justice League, #51

In "Justice League" #51, Dan Abnett, Paul Pelletier and Sandra Hope flash back to the early days of the League, when they first met Robin, and it's is surprisingly fun.

Full review here.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Solid issue. Terrific art. Good ol JL story that doesn't require 10 issues to conclude.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

All-New Member

I really enjoyed the issue myself, but I do have one lingering question from the end...

***SPOILERS***

The Villian voice that was wanting to get to Earth Prime to feed, and kept calling the Justice League "Colorful Godkillers" and then at the end says;

"I will make my first prey something more within my means."

"Something less powerful. Something I can Ambush. Something that will sustain me."

"Something that will allow me to get at they bright God-Slaying Titans from the inside."

"The Child. Robin."

Is this Mr. Twister, or something else all together?

The best part of the story was at the end when Robin Ask Batman;

Robin: "Why did you bring me along? It was Terrifying and I was outclassed."

Batman: "Cyborg is the youngest of us, but he was pivotal in saving the day. And the solution sprang from your insight. Your not a member of the Justice League, Dick, but you WILL be one day, and I wanted you to get used to the idea."

Batman: "If I can be a viable member of the team, WITHOUT meta-class powers like the others, so can you.

Robin: "I...I'm going to be a member of the Justice League one day?"

Batman: "No."

Batman: "You're going to lead it."

That whole exchange between Batman and Robin was the perfect way to end the issue and to set up Dick to be the leader that he is and the true potential that Bruce sees in him to be a true leader of ANY team, including the Justice League.

All-New Member

Cool issue I really enjoyed it. Oh I think the bad guy was not Mr. Twister but rather the mysterious, demonic and shadowy antagonist from the end of Titans Hunt. Mr. Twister was acting as his agent on Prime Earth. Who or what he is was left unresolved, but I imagine it will be addressed in the new Titans book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder Wolfe View Post
    Cool issue I really enjoyed it. Oh I think the bad guy was not Mr. Twister but rather the mysterious, demonic and shadowy antagonist from the end of Titans Hunt. Mr. Twister was acting as his agent on Prime Earth. Who or what he is was left unresolved, but I imagine it will be addressed in the new Titans book.
    that's what I took from it too

That was a great one issue story I really enjoyed that and as always Batman says something somewhere that just makes you think that's exactly how it should be, why wouldn't the character trained by Batman at a young age with better social skills be the future JL leader? the introduction by Batman to the JL plus the individual interactions between Robin and all the other JL characters was great,

my only thought was seeing Cyborg clearly way older than Dick Grayson kind of killed off anything adding Cyborg to a NTT

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Great issue, loved Dick interacts with all the leaguers. It's still weird have Vic as an adult and more expert than Grayson tho.
    The Cyborg status is another matter that cannot be explained with the Rebirth 10 years loss, he should have the same age of others original Titans.

Anyway, I'm happy that DC seems to place the Titans at center of his universe, after had erased them with N52. They've admitted their mistakes.

Astonishing Member

Surprisingly good! I think it's now one of my favorite Dick Grayson as Robin stories.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Abnett slowly becoming one of my favourite writers. Willing to forget AM Rebrith if he knocks next weeks #1 out the park.

Dare I say but could he be DC's new Geoff Johns?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robin 457 View Post
    I really enjoyed the issue myself, but I do have one lingering question from the end...

***SPOILERS***

The Villian voice that was wanting to get to Earth Prime to feed, and kept calling the Justice League "Colorful Godkillers" and then at the end says;

"I will make my first prey something more within my means."

"Something less powerful. Something I can Ambush. Something that will sustain me."

"Something that will allow me to get at they bright God-Slaying Titans from the inside."

"The Child. Robin."

Is this Mr. Twister, or something else all together?

The best part of the story was at the end when Robin Ask Batman;

Robin: "Why did you bring me along? It was Terrifying and I was outclassed."

Batman: "Cyborg is the youngest of us, but he was pivotal in saving the day. And the solution sprang from your insight. Your not a member of the Justice League, Dick, but you WILL be one day, and I wanted you to get used to the idea."

Batman: "If I can be a viable member of the team, WITHOUT meta-class powers like the others, so can you.

Robin: "I...I'm going to be a member of the Justice League one day?"

Batman: "No."

Batman: "You're going to lead it."

That whole exchange between Batman and Robin was the perfect way to end the issue and to set up Dick to be the leader that he is and the true potential that Bruce sees in him to be a true leader of ANY team, including the Justice League.
    I'm assuming it could be The Antithesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder Wolfe View Post
    I think Mr Twister is working for The Antithesis.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Great issue, loved Dick interacts with all the leaguers. It's still weird have Vic as an adult and more expert than Grayson tho.
    The Cyborg status is another matter that cannot be explained with the Rebirth 10 years loss, he should have the same age of others original Titans.

Anyway, I'm happy that DC seems to place the Titans at center of his universe, after had erased them with N52. They've admitted their mistakes.
    I didn't even think about the weirdness of having Vic so much older than Dick, and I really dislike that. Regardless, I enjoyed this issue quite a bit.

haha! This issue was a marvel movie with all the quippy dialog. Is this guy to be the regular writer?