All-New Member

Default Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus vol. 1 versus The Superman Chronicles vo. 1-4

As I understand it, Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus volume 1 contains the same stories as The Superman Chronicles volumes 1-4. Price notwithstanding, what are the advantages and disadvantages between these two editions? As I understand it, the Omnibus has a foreword and an afterword, both of which were written by Jim Steranko, but is there any other content that’s in the Omnibus that’s not in the Chronicles, or vice versa? Are any of them missing any cover artwork? Is the printing quality in either edition noticeably higher-resolution or higher-quality than the other, in any other way?

I’m led to believe that the Omnibus has sewn binding. Is that so? Either way, does it have any less (or more) gutter loss than the Chronicles?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Masquarr View Post
    As I understand it, Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus volume 1 contains the same stories as The Superman Chronicles volumes 1-4. Price notwithstanding, what are the advantages and disadvantages between these two editions? As I understand it, the Omnibus has a foreword and an afterword, both of which were written by Jim Steranko, but is there any other content that’s in the Omnibus that’s not in the Chronicles, or vice versa? Are any of them missing any cover artwork? Is the printing quality in either edition noticeably higher-resolution or higher-quality than the other, in any other way?

I’m led to believe that the Omnibus has sewn binding. Is that so? Either way, does it have any less (or more) gutter loss than the Chronicles?

Thanks.
    I only have the new GA Superman paperback which is like the first half of the omni, great price-quantity ratio. The omni, apart from the black cardboard cover is really well done, one of the best DC bindings.
    Also, it is oversized obviously which is an advantage compared to the tpb-s for me (still went with the paperback).

All-New Member

Thanks for telling me about that! I just looked up Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1. I’m getting conflicting information with regard to which stories it contains, though. The page on the official DC website says that it includes ACTION COMICS #1-12, SUPERMAN #1-4 and WORLD’S FAIR COMICS #1. However, Barnes and Noble says that it includes ACTION COMICS #1-19, SUPERMAN #1-3 and NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR COMICS #1. (So does Amazon.) I hope Action Comics #1-12 aren’t the only ones included in Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1.

However, even if Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1 does include Action Comics #1-19, it looks like it doesn’t “match up” with The Superman Chronicles. Volumes 1 and 2 of The Superman Chronicles contain Action Comics #1-20. (Volume 3 contains Action Comics #21-25.) That means that, if I buy Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1, and decide to buy Superman Volume 3 later, I’ll be missing Action Comics #20. The alternative would be to buy Superman: The Golden Age vol. 2, but that won’t get released until December.

Balakin, could you please confirm for me which stories are contained in Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Masquarr View Post
    Thanks for telling me about that! I just looked up Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1. I’m getting conflicting information with regard to which stories it contains, though. The page on the official DC website says that it includes ACTION COMICS #1-12, SUPERMAN #1-4 and WORLD’S FAIR COMICS #1. However, Barnes and Noble says that it includes ACTION COMICS #1-19, SUPERMAN #1-3 and NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR COMICS #1. (So does Amazon.) I hope Action Comics #1-12 aren’t the only ones included in Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1.

However, even if Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1 does include Action Comics #1-19, it looks like it doesn’t “match up” with The Superman Chronicles. Volumes 1 and 2 of The Superman Chronicles contain Action Comics #1-20. (Volume 3 contains Action Comics #21-25.) That means that, if I buy Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1, and decide to buy Superman Volume 3 later, I’ll be missing Action Comics #20. The alternative would be to buy Superman: The Golden Age vol. 2, but that won’t get released until December.

Balakin, could you please confirm for me which stories are contained in Superman: The Golden Age vol. 1? Thank you!
    sure thing. It collects Action comics #1-19, Superman #1-3 and New York World's Fair comics #1 according to the back cover.
    As I said, great bang for your buck, nice matte paperstock, I rarely go for paperbacks instead of hardcovers but for like 9-10quid this was a no brainerand it just feels so nice in my hand (also I HATE the black cardboard cover of the omnis).
    I've decided only getting the Flash in omnibus form since he is my favourite superhero so I have to give him the omnibus treatment but will get at least the volume ones of Superman, Batman an JLA in paperback. You can pass your time with those too while waiting for Superman vol 2. JLA and I think Flash is already out, Batman is coming in August.
    I think the solicitations for Juctice League are wrong too, most sites list it as a 144 pg tpb but it's around 300 pages.

All-New Member

Adding to the confusion, at least for me, is that the paperback is called "Superman: The Golden Age Vol 1" and the hardcover is called "Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol 1". I actually have both, since I tried getting the Omni while it was being reprinted couldn't find it temporarily, and the paperback came out. From the description of what the book contains, I assume you are talking about the paperback.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    sure thing. It collects Action comics #1-19, Superman #1-3 and New York World's Fair comics #1 according to the back cover.
    As I said, great bang for your buck, nice matte paperstock, I rarely go for paperbacks instead of hardcovers but for like 9-10quid this was a no brainerand it just feels so nice in my hand (also I HATE the black cardboard cover of the omnis).
    I've decided only getting the Flash in omnibus form since he is my favourite superhero so I have to give him the omnibus treatment but will get at least the volume ones of Superman, Batman an JLA in paperback. You can pass your time with those too while waiting for Superman vol 2. JLA and I think Flash is already out, Batman is coming in August.
    I think the solicitations for Juctice League are wrong too, most sites list it as a 144 pg tpb but it's around 300 pages.
    Wow. I'm planing on doing the exact same thing. Great minds think alike.

Do you know if they're doing Golden Age Wonder Woman trades? I'm guessing they come out after the Omni.
    Cyclops was right

[QUOTE=FlashingSabre;2119200]Wow. I'm planing on doing the exact same thing. Great minds think alike.

Do you know if they're doing Golden Age Wonder Woman trades? I'm guessing they come out after the Omni.[/QUOTEwould be shocked if they wouldn't do WW. Probably 6-9 months after the Omni.