Default Is Marvel "fixing" Spider-Man's most controversial storylines?

Ask any Spider-Man fan what the most infamous Spider-Man story of all time is, and you're likely to hear either "One More Day" or "The Clone Saga." With the recent hints being dropped about OMD possibly being revisited soon, as well as the revelation of "The Clone Conspiracy," is it possible that Marvel is trying to "fix" these oft-maligned storylines? Another controversial story, "The Other," was also revisited not long ago.

If this is indeed the case, could a new "Sins Past" story be far behind?
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 06-17-2016 at 04:52 PM.

BANNED

I could see Bendis and Joe Kelley fixing One More Day, but I don't trust Slott, who makes me doubt that they'll "fix" the Clone Saga.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I wasn't really old enough for the 90's Clone Saga, but outside bringing back Ben Reilly, what exactly can they fix with the Clone Saga. Cause as I understand it that thing was one giant mess by the end of things. Plus wasn't there this?

BANNED

One More Day isn't gonna be 'fixed.'

Clone Saga is being revisited, but there's nothing really there to be 'fixed'. Figure there's elements of the story we're not yet aware of because, you know, they want you to read the book to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Ask any Spider-Man fan what the most infamous Spider-Man story of all time is, and you're likely to hear either "One More Day" or "The Clone Saga." With the recent hints being dropped about OMD possibly being revisited soon, as well as the revelation of "The Clone Conspiracy," is it possible that Marvel is trying to "fix" these oft-maligned storylines? Another controversial story, "The Other," was also revisited not long ago.

If this is indeed the case, could a new "Sins Past" story be far behind?
    Man I friggin hope so. Sins past ruined Gwen Stacy. Make it where Norman was a perv to a Gwen Clone or something. Jeez.

Fantastic Member

Clone saga can't be fixed. Love or hate it, it was a complete story.

They could revisit baby May, but I think the current explanation given is that she died and Allison was holding a cat prisoner.

Sins Past could be revisited, but I don't think it's necessary.

OMD could be changed to make Peter and MJ remember, I think that may be happening.

Mighty Member

The Clone Saga is difficult to "fix" given that it's biggest problems were some OOC moments (which are moments only and thus have passed) and the length of time it took to all get resolved. You could argue Norman coming back as well, but that's a little more complicated.

OMD was a mandate from the top. I'll believe it's undone when it's done.

But if we're fixing the Sins of the Past. I can think of one story that needs fixing most of all. Most. OF. ALL.

I feel like Renew Your Vows was a test to gauge the interest of customers in the Spider-marriage. Given that it was successful, I feel like there's more of a chance for OMD to be undone.

iMan 42s

How would you "fix" the clone saga? What could you "fix" about that era? There is nothing one can change at this point outside of minor details or sneaking something between those stories. Besides the good that came out of it like modern web shooter design, costume design, Scarlet spider (both of them), and various stories (yes there are good clone saga stories) its best one focuses on the good that came out of that era and build on that rather than spend the time retconning the Anubis cult at Mount Wundagore or Peter punching Mary Jane into a wall.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Fixing Sins Past would first require acknowledging it happened.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Fixing Sins Past would first require acknowledging it happened.
    You can acknowledge it "didn't" happen. >_> <_<

Honestly the only trick to undoing that story is Mary Jane. The story literally doesn't work (timeline is wrong, forgets the other Stacys, etc.), but you have to come up for a reason why Mary Jane would tell Peter that story without throwing her under the bus. That's the only trick.

BANNED

Most bad stories don't need "fixing". You just move on to the next one and not think about it, especially if the story you're reading not doesnt even explicitly mention it. The only one that could be "fixed" is One More Day, since it set up a status quo that divides the entire series into pre-OMD and post-OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    You can acknowledge it "didn't" happen. >_> <_<

Honestly the only trick to undoing that story is Mary Jane. The story literally doesn't work (timeline is wrong, forgets the other Stacys, etc.), but you have to come up for a reason why Mary Jane would tell Peter that story without throwing her under the bus. That's the only trick.
    Hypnosis.

Osborn's also made some comments about it in Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers, although this can be explained in similar fashion.

My guess is that Sins Past would have been undone circa One More Day, but with people forgetting Spider-Man's secret identity, it was kept as a reason for Norman Osborn to have killed Gwen Stacy that doesn't involve her being Spider-Man's girlfriend.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Hypnosis.

Osborn's also made some comments about it in Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers, although this can be explained in similar fashion.

My guess is that Sins Past would have been undone circa One More Day, but with people forgetting Spider-Man's secret identity, it was kept as a reason for Norman Osborn to have killed Gwen Stacy that doesn't involve her being Spider-Man's girlfriend.
    Oh there are explanations. It's just the only thing that has to be addressed beyond a "what? That doesn't make any sense because X, Y, and Z."

Norman learned his identity long before the reveal, and no one tied any reason to it at the time. A madman killed a girl, little motivation was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Oh there are explanations. It's just the only thing that has to be addressed beyond a "what? That doesn't make any sense because X, Y, and Z."

Norman learned his identity long before the reveal, and no one tied any reason to it at the time. A madman killed a girl, little motivation was needed.
    But for the decade prior to One More Day, he knew what he did and why.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets