Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I'm pretty sure all of those people who took their own lives due to bullying and ridicule -- online or otherwise -- would strongly disagree with said phrase... if they were still alive to do so.

It's the kind of thing one says when one doesn't have the power to fight back... and in the age of the internet, words have more power than most people will ever know.
    I have to disagree with you on the origin of the phrase. It's probably difficult to find out for sure, but it doesn't sound like something who knows how much words can hurt would say. It sounds more like an excuse somebody who uses words to hurt people would use.

The "I'm not touching you" of hate speech.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno. I don't know if I see it that way. Liberals are not the ones holding gang-bangers and criminals up as heroes of the community. And while there are liberals who see themselves as champions of the under privileged, there's religious conservatives who feel the same way. They just have different views on how to help such people.

Having said that, crime and poverty are not the result of what most people think of when they say "political correctness." If I feel uneasy walking by myself in a certain block or if somebody is selling drugs on the southside, it's not because a celebrity said something stupid on twitter and was made to apologize. It's certainly not because anyone is afraid to talk about the issues because these problems are in the news weekly. And even if you think that the crime rates are out of control due to liberals concern for criminal's rights ( I disagree seeing as we've had roughly 30 years of politicians getting tuff on crime), it still has nothing to do with media personalities being supposedly afraid of offending anyone.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. Our experiences with people who call themselves liberal or extreme liberal have been different.

Extraordinary Member

Virtually no one -- liberal or otherwise -- is making "heroes" out of people who claim that "bitches get stitches": I've gone to college with many self-professed "liberals" (extreme and otherwise) -- none of them saw anyone who claimed that "bitches get stitches" as "heroes of the community". In fact, they saw them as people who needed to be educated, more than anything else.

If your point is that your free speech is impeded because someone might sock you in the face for saying something that might be considered offensive, then you should also take into account the fact that some cop or neo-nazi might kick me in the head (or worse) just because he doesn't like my "politically correct" black skin and/or attitude.

That said, if someone does assault you (or me) on said basis, there are already laws in place that address this, which means that no one is stopping you from saying (or doing) whatever you feel, so long as it isn't illegal.
    Oh there are ppl making heroes out of those ppl and romanticizing them as being some sort of rebels with a cause and most times in my experience it has been liberals. It wasn't always like that in the past but it has definitely become a thing. But it's not always a sock in the face ppl are concerned about it's being labeled something or being ostracized for disagreeing with those sorts of ppl. But like I said agree to disagree people have different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. Our experiences with people who call themselves liberal or extreme liberal have been different.
    Like anyone else, there are very different liberals and people on the left. Some a very tough on crime oriented, some would rather look towards the system, some are constantly talking about building your own economies, etc.

But I think the bigger issue is how you built a strawman out of this. Like the crimes in the community thing. Everyone talks about it, but it's HOW. Yeah, you're gonna get called out when you feel the need to throw folks under the bus and dehumanize them just as the system does already. There are ways to talk about dealing with those issues without being a jerk.

Same with illegal immigration. And there is no war on Christians. Or heterosexuals.

Are there folks that don't really want to hear it? Yeah, and they are wrong. I understand why though, and it's reflected on your original post. When you are stuck in an area where you are jumped on for believing certain things, or being a certain way, folks tend to repeat similar tactics. Like per se, generalizing.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    One way is by broadening the definition of "hate-speech" and what makes a person a "potential threat" so that people become afraid to speak their mind. If I'm not mistaken, people in Canada can be jailed for "hate-speech" now. Regardless of how we feel about a person's words, they have the right to speak however they want to. That must not be taken away.
    FWIW, back in the 2000s Dave Sim asserted that he thought the anti-feminist content of CEREBUS might be enough to get Canadian authorities to class it as "hate speech."

I don't know if he really believed such a prosecution could happen to an independent comic book of limited circulation, but he said something along those lines.

Ultimate Member

Oh there are ppl making heroes out of those ppl and romanticizing them as being some sort of rebels with a cause and most times in my experience it has been liberals.
    The "liberals" in question normally lionize and "make heroes out of" rebels like Che Guevara, Bob Marley, Jesus, Martin Luther King, and Mahatma Gandhi -- not people from the "streets", whom most "liberals" feel need their help.

Name three "heroes" of these alleged liberals who claim that "snitches should get stitches" -- I've already named five well-known popular "liberal" heroes who DIDN'T think that way, so I don't think it's too much to ask you to do the same to validate your assertion in turn.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-18-2016 at 02:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    FWIW, back in the 2000s Dave Sim asserted that he thought the anti-feminist content of CEREBUS might be enough to get Canadian authorities to class it as "hate speech."

I don't know if he really believed such a prosecution could happen to an independent comic book of limited circulation, but he said something along those lines.
    Dave Sim has said a lot of things with very little relationship to reality.

Cerebus had no problems getting published in Canada, or anywhere else wher they have hate speach laws, therefore what Dave Sim thought and what was real weren't similar.

Invincible Member

Ok. But I'll throw this out there...undoubtedly there's folks who glorify gang-bangers and pimps. There's also folks who glamorize Italian mobsters and biker gangs. Were Little Cesar and The Godfather hits because of "PC Culture?" Were Wild Angels and Sons of Anarchy hits because folks were afraid of offending someone? Liberals were the only ones watching Breaking Bad?

Ultimate Member

And for those who continue to claim that words are just words, just remember that -- like I said before -- words often lead to actions.

Dylan Roof didn't just wake up one day and decide to kill a few black people in order to "start a race war" -- he spent years learning and spreading his hatred on the internet before finally picking up a weapon, walking into a church, and killing nine black Christian churchgoers who had been praying with him for nearly an hour beforehand.

As much as we'd like to pretend that people like Dylan Roof and Omar Mateen are just "lone wolves" they are really a symptom of a much larger issue... one that we see playing out in "words" on the internet (Gamergate, female Ghostbusters movies, "SJWs", "racist" Obama, "pandering" comic book companies, etc) almost each and every day.

-----

"I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country,” he wrote. “We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet.

"Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world... and I guess that has to be me.” -- Dylan Roof

Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-18-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Like anyone else, there are very different liberals and people on the left. Some a very tough on crime oriented, some would rather look towards the system, some are constantly talking about building your own economies, etc.

But I think the bigger issue is how you built a strawman out of this. Like the crimes in the community thing. Everyone talks about it, but it's HOW. Yeah, you're gonna get called out when you feel the need to throw folks under the bus and dehumanize them just as the system does already. There are ways to talk about dealing with those issues without being a jerk.

Same with illegal immigration. And there is no war on Christians. Or heterosexuals.

Are there folks that don't really want to hear it? Yeah, and they are wrong. I understand why though, and it's reflected on your original post. When you are stuck in an area where you are jumped on for believing certain things, or being a certain way, folks tend to repeat similar tactics. Like per se, generalizing.
    This is the problem I'm having. Why should I have to be nice when talking about drug dealers and gangbangers? Why so much focus on their humanity when they've dehumanized ppl in their own community? A community already under seige. Everbody has to respect their right to be a holes. While everbody else gets thrown under the bus.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 06-18-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The "liberals" in question normally lionize and "make heroes out of" rebels like Che Guevara, Bob Marley, Jesus, Martin Luther King, and Mahatma Gandhi -- not people from the "streets", whom most "liberals" feel need their help.

Name three "heroes" of these alleged liberals who claim that "snitches should get stitches" -- I've already named five well-known popular "liberal" heroes who DIDN'T think that way, so I don't think it's too much to ask you to do the same to validate your assertion in turn.
    Its funny cause i've heard liberals diss MLK for his " respectability politics". But theres Freeway Rick, Nicky Barnes, Prince from Queens and Fritz from Harlem syreet legends the drugs kept the hood from starvin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Ok. But I'll throw this out there...undoubtedly there's folks who glorify gang-bangers and pimps. There's also folks who glamorize Italian mobsters and biker gangs. Were Little Cesar and The Godfather hits because of "PC Culture?" Were Wild Angels and Sons of Anarchy hits because folks were afraid of offending someone? Liberals were the only ones watching Breaking Bad?
    No they werent and Black Ceasar was one of my favorite movies from the 70s.

This is the problem I'm having. Why should I have to be nice when talking about drug dealers and gangbangers? Why so much focus on their humanity when they'veddehumanized ppl in their own community? A community already under seige. Everbody has to respect their right to be a holes. While everbody else gets thrown under the bus.
    It's when you talk about drug dealers and assume it is a black or hispanic problem when the majority are white.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rested-for-it/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3941346.html

Which leads to laws that are harsher on crack than cocaine, when they are the same drug.

It's like insisting there is a problem with black on black violence, when white on white violence has the same percentage.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    It's when you talk about drug dealers and assume it is a black or hispanic problem when the majority are white.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rested-for-it/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3941346.html

Which leads to laws that are harsher on crack than cocaine, when they are the same drug.

It's like insisting there is a problem with black on black violence, when white on white violence has the same percentage.
    Of course but Im black and I dont have those misconceptions. I just dont feel I should have to be all nice and respectful when on that topic.

Ultimate Member

Its funny cause i've heard liberals diss MLK for his " respectability politics". But theres Freeway Rick, Nicky Barnes, Prince from Queens and Fritz from Harlem syreet legends the drugs kept the hood from starvin.
    Those guys are not "heroes" to anyone that I know of, and I've got family that lived in South Central -- they didn't keep "the hood from starvin" -- they peddled drugs and death until most people in said neighborhood pushed for tougher drug laws in their communities.

And absolutely no one I know "disses" MLK for his non-violent approach to solving problems. They might disagree with him (as did Malcolm X) but they don't "diss" him for his "politics" nor for all of the work that he did in bringing about change.

You're just putting tired tropes and stereotypes out there and hoping that they will stick -- outside of maybe "Freeway Rick" most "liberals" don't even know who those people are (and don't try to tell me that "liberals" are essentially made up of "people from the hood" who don't know any better).

Honestly, most of what you are saying here just sounds like the same talking points I see on the internet posted by people who don't have a real clue about what the "extreme liberals" in the street are really doing to bring about change.

Modern day "extreme" liberals are about Justin Trudeau, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren -- not Freeway Rick Ross or any other "street legend" that you care to bring up -- and none of them support "snitches getting stitches".
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-18-2016 at 03:42 PM.