Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here are some actual posts from that thread...

Make of that what you will.
    Wow, I am sorry I missed that discussion.
    What I see here is young gay men being unaware of our history, and I find that very sad. We can't use our very own battle cry anymore?

I have been involved with LGBT rights causes for longer than I care to admit, and I have never come across that attitude. Seems to be very specific to this board.

I'll just leave these here:

http://www.queerty.com/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/queer-sports/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/queer-voices/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/queer/

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/

http://queernews.at/

http://queercomicsblog.tumblr.com/

Looks to me like using the word "queer" is still plenty PC. So you can take your little "gotcha moment" and stuff it. Your time could be better spend helping some queer kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    What I see here is young gay men being unaware of our history, and I find that very sad. We can't use our very own battle cry anymore?

I have been involved with LGBT rights causes for longer than I care to admit, and I have never come across that attitude. Seems to be very specific to this board.

Looks to me like using the word "queer" is still plenty PC. So you can take your little "gotcha moment" and stuff it. Your time could be better spend helping some queer kids.
    Which means on this specific board it wouldn't be that hard to take their feelings into account, and just set the word to the side while posting here.

That you believe it is still "pc" in the wider world could very easily take a backseat to the feelings of folks who post on this forum. It's not like there are not other terms readily available to take that one's place.

As for that, I believe you need to take a closer look at the thread in question.

BANNED

Which means on this specific board it wouldn't be that hard to take their feelings into account, and just set the word to the side while posting here.

That you believe it is still "pc" in the wider world could very easily take a backseat to the feelings of folks who post on this forum. It's not like there are not other terms readily available to take that one's place.
    And I believe it would be morally, historically and politically wrong to do so.

By the way, there are rumors that your name should actually be numberthirtyone. What do you have to say to that?

And I believe it would be morally, historically and politically wrong to do so.
    Sometimes beliefs can be easily set aside for the sake of sparing someone's feelings.

This may very well be one of those times.

BANNED

Sometimes beliefs can be easily set aside for the sake of sparing someone's feelings.

This may very well be one of those times.
    And what about the feelings of all those who proudly identify as queer and are now told they are something to be ashamed of, that they need to conform to a different label that is, what? More butch? Less sparkling?

Why do I get the feeling that you don't really care about others' feelings but are just on a personal vendetta against me to create "gotcha" moments because I keep revealing the dishonesty in your arguments on the politics thread?

And this is why I don't get involved in what people choose to call themselves, I just use personal nicknames or inoffensive pronouns otherwise.

And what about the feelings of all those who proudly identify as queer and are now told they are something to be ashamed of, that they need to conform to a different label that is, what? More butch? Less sparkling?
    The only place I've seen that suggested is in your post. No one else is suggesting doing that. Just pointing out that you can use another totally workable alternative on a lone message board where some folks have pointed out that the word makes them uncomfortable.

Why do I get the feeling that you don't really care about others' feelings but are just on a personal vendetta against me to create "gotcha" moments because I keep revealing the dishonesty in your arguments on the politics thread?
    No idea.

The only place I've seen that suggested is in your post. No one else is suggesting doing that. Just pointing out that you can use another totally workable alternative on a lone message board where some folks have pointed out that the word makes them uncomfortable.
    Ok, but who's to say it makes every LGBTQIA person on this message board feel the same way? Specifically those that are gender non-conforming/gender queer?

Beyond that it really does seem like you're doing this just to get at jeanvaljean, as valid as the discussion is (much like some people don't like the term black and prefer African American. But that's all subjective compared to "colored" and lower). That's literally how this discussion started.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-19-2016 at 04:47 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

To address the overall question of Political Correctness. I do agree with the general belief that all people like all living creatures should be treated with common decency and respect. However I also agree that there are instances when people go to far in being politically correct. I remember a couple of years ago someone got mad at the Weird Al Song word crimes because it used the word spastic.

And on a personal note, I think its kind of sad we can't use the word retarded anymore. Growing up as a kid me and my friends used it a lot, not to disparage the mentally handicapped or accuse a person of being a retard which is indeed a mean thing to do, but just to point out that we thought an idea or action was bad or ill advised. I don't think there is anything wrong with calling someone's idea or action retarded as long as you are not calling the individuals themselves that.

But that's just my 2-cents.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    To address the overall question of Political Correctness. I do agree with the general belief that all people like all living creatures should be treated with common decency and respect. However I also agree that there are instances when people go to far in being politically correct. I remember a couple of years ago someone got mad at the Weird Al Song word crimes because it used the word spastic.

And on a personal note, I think its kind of sad we can't use the word retarded anymore. Growing up as a kid me and my friends used it a lot, not to disparage the mentally handicapped or accuse a person of being a retard which is indeed a mean thing to do, but just to point out that we thought an idea or action was bad or ill advised. I don't think there is anything wrong with calling someone's idea or action retarded as long as you are not calling the individuals themselves that.

A lot of people used a lot of words without actually meaning certain things /necessarily/ by them. It still contributes to a certain cavalier diminishment of those people on the whole. You know?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A lot of people used a lot of words without actually meaning certain things /necessarily/ by them. It still contributes to a certain cavalier diminishment of those people on the whole. You know?

Fair enough. And I guess there are more polite ways to point out the flaws in someones ideas/actions. Like calling them foolish instead of stupid/retarded.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fair enough. And I guess there are more polite ways to point out the flaws in someones ideas/actions. Like calling them foolish instead of stupid/retarded.
    I do get you. I grew up saying it too and still do from time to time because it's ingrained. But I understand why we're asked not to. The handicapped have enough to deal with. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Ok, but who's to say it makes every LGBTQIA person on this message board feel the same way? Specifically those that are gender non-conforming/gender queer?

Beyond that it really does seem like you're doing this just to get at jeanvaljean, as valid as the discussion is (much like some people don't like the term black and prefer African American. But that's all subjective compared to "colored" and lower). That's literally how this discussion started.
    Having kept up with those threads, I can't really recall that happening.

What has happened is those posters(some of the ones I quoted, in particular) have pointed out a recent lack of understanding. Factoring that in, I don't think it's that hard to not be one more potentially upsetting voice because of a certain word. Even more so when the word has alternatives.

The English language is fantastically complex with an unending pool of words to draw from. Thinking that retarded is the best word to use in any situation is a reflection on the user, rather than the person you're throwing it at.