Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I've mentioned before I really don't like how some people will go out of their way to find something to be offended at in everything they see & hear, and Anita Sarkeesian seems to be a poster child for that regardless of any good she's done "Everything's Sexist, Everything's Racist, Everything's Homophobic and you have to point it all out."

That she's received death threats for this is completely unacceptable, but that is one of the big problems I have with what's going on today.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I grew up learning the phrase "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". Is that still being taught?
    I grew up being told that was a lie by Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've mentioned before I really don't like how some people will go out of their way to find something to be offended at in everything they see & hear, and Anita Sarkeesian seems to be a poster child for that regardless of any good she's done "Everything's Sexist, Everything's Racist, Everything's Homophobic and you have to point it all out."

That she's received death threats for this is completely unacceptable, but that is one of the big problems I have with what's going on today.
    I think we might have here is a 'Chicken or the Egg Escalation Situation'

Don't know who started it, or when it started, or how or why. But once it started, it got completely out of hand.

There is validity to the issues and concerns, but someone took a wrong detour from fixing the problem onto making it worse.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-20-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Hyperbole is not a solution -- please explain to us how Sarkeesian says that "everything is racist and/or sexist": you may not agree with everything that she says, but that doesn't mean that her OPINION is wrong.

Most games ARE racist and sexist in that they cater to white males for the most part. I'm currently replaying Skyrim and Iooking at the fanart online, I've noticed how many female artists point out that Skyrim is one of the FEW games out there that treats women as equals. Bethesda gets it -- games like Assassin's Creed and GTA do not.

Just because someone takes time to point these kinds of issues out does make them a "problem" and the responses to her posts -- and movements like "Gamergate" -- only further validate her complaints.

Let's be real here: we live in a society where a "female" Ghostbusters movie or having black and female leads in "Star Wars" incites many white male fans to threaten boycotts before the movies even come out... which is why I'm GLAD people like Anna are out there addressing sexism and misogyny directly.

The more I see those kinds of people complain about her, the more I know she's doing the right thing.

So again -- please explain where she has said that "everything is sexist and/or racist": I've watched many of her videos and never once seen her make said claim.

And -- back to the larger issue at hand -- no matter what Anna might say on a video, she's most likely never going to pick up a weapon and go shoot and kill a lot of innocent people just to make her point.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2016 at 11:37 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I grew up learning the phrase "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me". Is that still being taught?
    Nursery rhymes contain all sorts of BS we used to tell kids.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Hyperbole is not a solution -- please explain to us how Sarkeesian says that "everything is racist and/or sexist": you may not agree with everything that she says, but that doesn't mean that her OPINION is wrong.

Most games ARE racist and sexist in that they cater to white males for the most part. I'm currently replaying Skyrim and Iooking at the fanart online, I've noticed how many female artists point out that Skyrim is one of the FEW games out there that treats women as equals. Bethesda gets it -- games like Assassin's Creed and GTA do not.

Just because someone takes time to point these kinds of issues out does make them a "problem" and the responses to her posts -- and movements like "Gamergate" -- only further validate her complaints.

Let's be real here: we live in a society where a "female" Ghostbusters movie or having black and female leads in "Star Wars" incites many white male fans to threaten boycotts before the movies even come out... which is why I'm GLAD people like Anna are out there addressing sexism and misogyny directly.

The more I see those kinds of people complain about her, the more I know she's doing the right thing.

So again -- please explain where she has said that "everything is sexist and/or racist": I've watched many of her videos and never once seen her make the claim that "everything" is sexist.

And -- back to the larger issue at hand -- no matter what Anna might say on a video, she's most likely never going to pick up a weapon and go shoot a lot of innocent people just to make her point.
    This took a brief youtube search for "Sarkeesian everything is sexist" to find

Now my point was "I'm tired of people going out of their way to find something to be offended at in everything they see and hear". Just that. If you want to praise her or others for this behavior that's your perrogative but I don't care for it.

For saying this, do you believe I am one of the white males of which you speak?
    Last edited by Dalak; 06-20-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Yet Japanese games are popular in the west as well. Exhibit A: Pokemon.
    Last edited by Falseface; 06-20-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Now my point was "I'm tired of people going out of their way to find something to be offended at in everything they see and hear". Just that. If you want to praise her or others for this behavior that's your perrogative but I don't care for it.

The fact that you're using her talking about how pervasive systemic discrimination is as a linchpin of how she's the "extreme" of "PC culture"?

No, but I would say that you are totally listening to them more than you should. Maybe it's for the sake of neutrality/moderation... But kinda like US "center" compared to the rest of western civilization, that position isn't as neutral as you think.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Ultimate Member

This isn't about "you" or "me" so let's not even go there.

And with regards to your seven second clip -- stop taking things out of context and post the FULL clip.

Again -- you are more than welcome to disagree with what she says, but don't selectively edit out her VALID points about SYSTEMIC racism and sexism in our society just to focus solely on those you disagree with (such as ignoring my point about how no matter what Anna says, she's not going to go out and kill people that have different opinions from her).

And the fact is that most non-white males "don't go out of their way" to find racism and sexism in society... in fact, we actually have to "go out of our way" to take a stand against it, just as I am doing right now in posting on this thread, when I could be drawing, playing Skyrim or practicing guitar instead.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Could you clarify what she means by "the choices you (as a woman) make, effect other women's lives and culture"? Is it as mundane as making a meal for your family or is it more dependant on what job's you're interested in?

Okay, I also don't quite get what she means by "sytsems of oppression". Is it related to when a woman's race is brought into consideration of whether she succeeds in life or not? Which is another concept I don't quite understand.

My currently retired grandmother (who is mexican) has worked at foster farms for most of her adult life. She's raised my twin and I, since we were babies up till we were about elementary school age (Mom took over when she found an apartment, plus we live near our grandmother). She has also worked as a house cleaner.

It was a different time when she was growing up, as they lived out in the country (she has seven other siblings, most of them girls, and one boy.).

We should also consider the presence of technology from now versus then.
    Last edited by Falseface; 06-20-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: mispelt words

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    The fact that you're using her talking about how pervasive systemic discrimination is as a linchpin of how she's the "extreme" of "PC culture"?

No, but I would say that you are totally listening to them more than you should. Maybe it's for the sake of neutrality/moderation... But kinda like US "center" compared to the rest of western civilization, that position isn't as neutral as you think.
    You do have a point, as I have only seen the 7 second clip as parts of other videos. And mostly it's out of boredom and willingness to look at both sides regardless of how they are praised/villified.

As for 'extreme', that's the arena of South Park and a few crazy people who force the violence they then claim to be victim of. Neither of which is Anita.

This isn't about "you" or "me" so let's not even go there.

And with regards to your seven second clip -- stop taking things out of context and post the FULL clip.

https://youtu.be/uOmIIAact4s

Again -- you are more than welcome to disagree with what she says, but don't selectively edit out her VALID points just to focus solely on those you disagree with.
    Please point it out if I'm wrong, but I've just watched your video twice now and I haven't heard that statement in it to show off any possible context.

Also: It's not about you or me, but then I'm deliberately editing and/or taking a clip out of a context that I've never seen?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falseface View Post
    Could you clarify what she means by "the choices you (as a woman) make, effect other women's lives and culture"? Is it as mundane as making a meal for your family or is it more dependant on what job's you're interested in?

Okay, I also don't quite get what she means by "sytems of oppresion". Is it related to when a woman's race is brought into consideration of whether she succeeds in life or not? Which is another concept I don't quite understand.
    That is a something you would have to take up with her -- not me. I don't claim to be a feminist, but I do agree with a lot of what she says in her videos and in her speaking engagements with regards to systemic sexism and racism in our society. For instance: many studies have shown that both women and people of color are paid substantially less (around 3/4) of what white males are paid in the same positions (http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-...discrimination) and there are many more examples of such studies out there online if you care to research it.

To her credit, she has actually studied these issues, where I (and most others disputing her) have not... which is exactly why I listen to what she has to say on these matters, even if I don't always understand or agree with her points.

That said, I did find a larger clip that goes into more detail -- and also includes the 7 second clip that was posted above, which I have edited into my previous post -- and in said clip she does point out that there are games out there that "have great representations" of women in them, so it's obvious in that respect that she doesn't think that "everything" is completely racist and/or sexist.

And -- again -- my bigger issue here is that people like her, and people like Milo, should be able to state such opinions without fear and threats of violence.

Please point it out if I'm wrong, but I've just watched your video twice now and I haven't heard that statement in it to show off any possible context.
    As stated above, I've edited my previous post to include the clip that you posted.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2016 at 12:37 PM.

That is a something you would have to take up with her -- not me. I don't claim to be a feminist, but I do agree with a lot of what she says in her videos and in her speaking engagements with regards to systemic sexism and racism in our society.

To her credit, she has actually studied these issues, where I (and most others disputing her) have not... which is exactly why I listen to what she has to say on these matters, even if I don't always understand or agree with her points.

That said, I did find a larger clip that goes into more detail, and also includes the 7 second clip that was posted above, which I have edited into my previous post.
    Hm. Okay, thank you. I'll check out that link then.
    Also, sorry if I got all rambly I just get nostalgic when I talk about my family. She also calls me "mija (mi hija)". Heh. Should just I make thread where we talk about our families (either bio or adoptive)?
    Last edited by Falseface; 06-20-2016 at 12:33 PM.

BANNED

There is of course a whole bunch of context to that one-liner which was conveniently left out.

ETA: agh, too slow.

Fantastic Member

From what I can tell, the pushback on political correctness doesn't seem to be a bunch of people who simply want to be able to offend others, but are acting out because they are not a bunch of people wanting to offend others but are being accused by various groups, politicians or individuals running an identity politics hustle.

Most people are civil towards to others with a few exceptions but even the majority of those jackasses wouldn't say the things they write online to another's face without backup.

The Internet is the "id" of modern civilization; sometimes it's just best to pay attention to people's direct actions than scan the news comments or social media feeds for people's cartoonish worldviews being laid out in a knee-jerk reaction to a headline.

Where P.C. gets in the way is in the midst of real world problems where 144 character conversations are not appropriately nuanced and often asserts those questioning things that may have to do with immigration, domestic and foreign policy, national security and trade are attempted to be pigeon holed as racists or bigots or (insert demographic)phobes. It simply isn't productive.

I think the people in charge, like others, don't know how to handle social media. They just get bombarded by 1,000s of

From my experiences, most people just want to go along to get along and nobody likes being the bad guy towards a group of people. That's where political correctness backfires. In order to create a narrative of (insert demographic) is a victim of (insert popular buzzword), there has to be a group of people who are doing the (insert popular buzzword) to (insert demographic). Most people do not (insert popular buzzword) to (insert demographic), but there is always the aforementioned jackasses who do.

I'm not a fan of identity politics. It requires the creation of resentment between people for things they cannot control ever or at the moment while the instigator pursues some personal gain -- votes, money, attention. Unfortunately, it also works. Divide and conquer.

Ghandi says "be the change you want to see in the world." Don't force, coerce or extort others to do the same.
    Last edited by John Aston; 06-20-2016 at 01:10 PM.