Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Seems to be all coming around in a weird way. The way they retconned out Peter and M.J's marriage was awful. The way DC got rid of Superman and Lois's marriage was better. Now the way DC reintroduced the marriage and family was awful. And the way Marvel will reintroduce Spidey and M.J's marriage likely to be better. lol
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    If Marvel's response to DC Rebirth is to undo OMD and bring Peter & MJ back together? Count me in!

I haven't bought a single issue of Spider-Man since OMD. Undoing OMD and reuniting Pete and Mary Jane while simultaneously acknowledging all the screwed-up continuity that Marvel never bothered to acknowledge before (as seen in the panels shown here) would be rolling out the red carpet for old school fans like me.

Marvel folks, if you bring back their marriage and return all memories to all the characters who forgot wide chunks of Marvel continuity? You got me. I will jump on the bandwagon and start buying Spider-Man again for the first time in almost a decade.

MAKE. IT. SO. (please!)

I truly wish that the Spider-Marriage stay in the pits of Mephisto's hell dimension.

I never got how some fans over blew its importance and character assassination of Mary Jane.

Don't bring it back Marvel.
    Last edited by Zevad; 06-17-2016 at 01:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    It's carrot-dangling at best, trolling at worst. The Spidey editorial team have been doing it on and off for the last nine years and it continues to lead to the same place... nowhere. Nothing's going to change any time soon and, quite frankly, I wouldn't want the current Spidey team going anywhere near the (real) marriage anyway.
    This. It's unlikely the current folks on Spidey could tell a good story with OMD--Slott's writing is horrid, Lowe's editing is choppy to nonexistent, and Brevort's concept of what Spider-Man is supposed to be is laughable.

I'd like to see some good writers undo OMD properly after they're gone.

Shooter is like the Donald Trump of Marvel. The marriage represents everything Shooter stood for and more. Too many people in and around Marvel were too butthurt by Shooter for this to ever happen. It would prove he was right! And if it does happen in any way, I suspect it would not be in the way most of us pro-marriage people would want.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Sorry, but as long as Joe Quesada works for Marvel, they aren't gonna reverse OMD. They won't reverse his smoking ban, either.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Lowe's editing is choppy to nonexistent
    What does this even mean?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    DITTO.

Nothing would make me happier. We got the original DCU back. If Marvel gives us back the classic Marvel status quo? I'm in like Flynn. Bring it on!

For that matter, hell, why stop there? Give us the classic Avengers line-ups, too. And stop with the Inhumans stuff and just focus on the X-Men again.

Then all would be right in the world as far as I'm concerned.
    I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Marvel's previous status quo .... the one before everybody was on everyone else's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin_O.A.W. View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Marvel's previous status quo .... the one before everybody was on everyone else's team.
    Amen. A little bit of that goes a long way, but it has spiraled out of control to the point where it a complete disorganized mess that requires a scorecard to keep track of.

Extraordinary Member

Stopping in just to air the funny thing about OMD to me; it happened right when I was finally using disposable income to buy comics from the book store and the only comic shop anywhere near where I lived. And if the idea was to have Spiderman appeal to new readers by making him single, it had the opposite effect on me; I started reading comic books by using library TPBs, Wizard magazine from the same library, and those Dell Kids Ultimate Guides, and I used the Internet to be aware of most of the events for characters I liked.

So I finally enter the point of being a comic buyer on a weekly basis, I've got a limited income to spend, and Spider-Man trades his marriage to the Devil? My initial reaction was that it sounded stupid and I honestly didn't understand why it was done; I didn't see any advantages to the move, and the fantastic nature of the story still wasn't going to overcome the stupidity of the premise. There is no such thing as a good deal with the devil. That's why it's called a deal with the devil! So it was kind of like an attempt to get readers on board with a stupid and morally dubious story for Spiderman. I wasn't going to waste my money on that when I only had maybe 7$ a month.

And my opinion of the story has only sunk further with the intervening years. I'm basically a dedicated DC fan because my favorite Marvel hero, Spiderman, now had a foundation for its storytelling in a story that only got worse the more I became aware of this context.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Any story which restores the Spider Marriage or (tactfully) removes Aunt May for good is a good thing to me. OMD was character assassination in the worse way, and it fair to say that it's only recently that MJ has managed to rise above the taint of OMD which she got the worse dash of, and resultingly NO ONE wanted to use her because they knew EVERY TIME she appeared was a OMD reminder.

If Slott and the Spidey office have the balls to try and do it, they should. When it comes down to it, no other relationship with Peter and another compares, mainly because OMD proved they'd be finite and Peter always timeless. Now he's got his own company and Miles is in the teenaged role...

All-New Member

Couldn't this be explained by Tony Stark's having his mind erased after Civil War (to destroy the only copy of the registered meta-humans database) and then restoring his memories with an out of date backup? This happened in Iron Man less than a year after Civil War.

My perception of this is that, maybe, Slott and company are going to "undo" OMD through technicalities, including the deaths and resurrections of everyone via Secret Wars. However, the reasons that things get "re-set" won't seemingly have anything to do with OMD. For example, Aunt May's sickness won't ever outright be attributed to the deal weakening; however, connecting the dots is possible for long-term readers, and so crumbs are being dropped for those who want to see the story done away with.

Does this mean that Peter and MJ will remember what happened? I doubt it.

Instead, I think there will be an "official wiping away" of OMD as a thing that is referenced. This will be the end of it. And, accordingly, we'll start to see Peter and MJ being romantic again. Probably not automatically married again. But we'll get to put OMD behind us and start looking towards a possible future where Peter and MJ get to build things back up again between themselves romantically.

-Pav, who could be way off...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

the damage has already been done and I've moved on. If I was still. Does it still bother me sure, but undoing it like a decade later is kind of too late.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Very good points of evidence. It's a very minor one, but Spider-Man #2 also has Peter says he hates a red demon when he and Miles are fighting Blackheart, Mephisto's son. So between books that have featured Peter prominently (Aside from Spidey, which isn't a modern story), it does seem that there is a collective effort among the books to address One More Day.
    In Iron Man, MJ says she's at her lowest point and when Tony says he doesn't believe it, MJ says "Tell it to my soul." Which like the Spider-Man issue above was written by Bendis.

Still, I don't think they will restore Peter and MJ's marriage. The deeply cynical portion of me thinks they might address OMD since so many people think making a deal with the devil is unheroic and taints Peter but they will do it in such a way the marriage remains erased. The really deeply cynical portion of me thinks this will involve Mary Jane sacrificing herself so Gwen can stay alive after Clones No More or Clonespiracy or whatever they calling it.
    Last edited by MJS; 06-17-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Amazing Member

Other than that story with all the extra Spider-man's showing up I've enjoyed Slott's run but it feels like the same stories could of been told with Mary Jane still his wife instead of having to almost totally avoid his love life as a half baked attempt of appeasing fans.