Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Oh? : | But I saw THIS as the hope of that not happening:

You know, I'm not picking up any of the Rebirth stuff as of yet, but I might just pick this one up, since the premise is very interesting. Lois and Lana - SUPERWOMEN! 0_0

I'm also highly intrigued by what PC-Lois will make of N52-Lois now being Superwoman - and how their first meeting will go down?? (surely, they will meet...? rather odd that they haven't as of yet...)
    It is odd, isn't it? Must be saving that for its own thing. Probably in SUPERWOMAN. But this was in referenced to the PC-Lois. We already knew N52-Lois was getting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Really wish they made Lois more than a Superman character. While I don't like Lois, I mean she could be like a major player in the DCverse.
    Lois is from the Superman mythology, so in that respect she will always be a Superman character. That said Lois had a major role in both Futures End and Earth 2 books that were largely, if not entirely, separate from Superman. She had a significant role in Flashpoint as part of the resistance as well. Moreover, what you're describing isn't something that really exists. To be a major player in the DCverse implies that there is some sort of overarching narrative structure to the DCverse where singular characters have presence and impact in multiple books across mythologies concurrently. The only characters who are sometimes players on that level are the more significant members of the Justice League like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and occasionally the Flash or major villains like Luthor, Joker, Brainiac, and Darkseid. Everyone else pretty much stays in their own sphere of influence or niche. Being a part of the world of Superman has mostly been more of a help than a hindrance to Lois, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    She could, but she'll always be held down because of her relationship with Superman.
    Lois' relationship with Superman doesn't hold her down. Do you think she'd really be as well known and be as involved in stories as she is now if she didn't have that connection to Superman? Maybe it hasn't always had the best results for her character in terms of characterization, but even during the Silver Age when her characterization was less than ideal, her role in Superman's life led to a successful, long-running, comic book series all her own. She even has her own series of young adult novels where she is the protagonist that have been successful in the last two year. Being a part of the Superman mythology has allowed Lois Lane to be one of the most frequently adapted comic book characters in animation and live action, which brings with it exposure, fans, and iconic status. Finally, like it or not, shipping has always been a major force in fan cultures; people have been shipping for hundreds of years when novels were all there were and it fuels investment in the characters involved. Being one half of a romantic relationship featuring a character like Superman gets Lois attention and being a part of his mythology, which is one that generates a lot of stories and adventures in the DCU, allows her to play a part. How many "free agent" characters, so to speak, can you list that have gotten bigger and better as characters by not having a primary niche in the DCU? Or, to look at it another way, does the relationship with Superman have to be this alleged obstacle, or can she be in that relationship and still receive the desired development? If there is a problem, the relationship isn't it.
    Last edited by misslane; 06-19-2016 at 11:55 AM.

BANNED

is it just me or do all the pictures of superwoman so far make New 52 Lois Look Older than she should be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There's really no reason, nor reason for any desire on their part, to return lockstep to their old lives. Their current lives are their lives. I don't really see any evidence that even with the veil lifted, Lois won't want to be a writer and Clark won't want to be a farmer. Lois isn't going to go back to working for the Planet and likely neither is Clark. Which is hopefully more evidence that eventually New Clark will be back and he and New Lois will be the ones to retake a more familiar status quo, and it'll be these versions whose story will be "moving on" so to speak to their next chapter with their son. That was kinda the point back in the day to what they did with Golden Age Superman when he was branded as the Earth-Two version. Marrying Lois and the like was using that version of the character to move on the mythos into another chapter, after the familiar status quo, while Earth-One Superman stayed, in general, to the classic take. That's what I'm hoping is being set up here today.
    I don't know if I see much potential in New 52 Clark as one of the torch bearers of the Daily Planet status quo. That Clark may have started, under Morrison's pen, as someone who worked and cared about journalism and The Daily Planet, but for most of his life he rejected or neglected everything to do with both. On the other hand, I understand and accept that, at the moment, it's impossible for Lois and for Clark to work as reporters for The Daily Planet. There are currently another Lois (soon to be Superwoman) and Clark (the mysterious new guy) who work there, and another Lois after a new Superman debuted would make it far too easy to expose their family to scrutiny and danger. I disagree, though, that Lois wouldn't want to return to her former job as a journalist. As Author X, sure, she gets to investigate and bring justice through truth. However, she has to have an extra layer of caution just to maintain her anonymity, which, as we've seen, can also get her publisher ally in trouble. It's also just nice to put your name to what you write, and to be able to be yourself, and work with the resources and interact with the people that a newspaper office provides. Likewise, pre-Flashpoint Clark may have an affinity for the farm life he grew up with, but he chose to live and work in Metropolis for a reason. He also has had several issues and stories that emphasized how much journalism meant something to him, too. It would be poor characterization of both Lois and Clark to not have them yearn to be able to recapture that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    is it just me or do all the pictures of superwoman so far make New 52 Lois Look Older than she should be?
    She seems about the same to me. Not sure what you're seeing there.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I don't know if I see much potential in New 52 Clark as one of the torch bearers of the Daily Planet status quo. That Clark may have started, under Morrison's pen, as someone who worked and cared about journalism and The Daily Planet, but for most of his life he rejected or neglected everything to do with both. On the other hand, I understand and accept that, at the moment, it's impossible for Lois and for Clark to work as reporters for The Daily Planet. There are currently another Lois (soon to be Superwoman) and Clark (the mysterious new guy) who work there, and another Lois after a new Superman debuted would make it far too easy to expose their family to scrutiny and danger. I disagree, though, that Lois wouldn't want to return to her former job as a journalist. As Author X, sure, she gets to investigate and bring justice through truth. However, she has to have an extra layer of caution just to maintain her anonymity, which, as we've seen, can also get her publisher ally in trouble. It's also just nice to put your name to what you write, and to be able to be yourself, and work with the resources and interact with the people that a newspaper office provides. Likewise, pre-Flashpoint Clark may have an affinity for the farm life he grew up with, but he chose to live and work in Metropolis for a reason. He also has had several issues and stories that emphasized how much journalism meant something to him, too. It would be poor characterization of both Lois and Clark to not have them yearn to be able to recapture that.
    Well they both talked about missing the Planet in L&C so there's something. And putting your own name on something you did is cool but I think Lois is more driven on uncovering the truth to make the world better. Something she can do well as Author X, so she should still gain fulfillment from it. It'd even be nice to see author X as a constant influence around the DCU.

BANNED

superwoman would be better if they didn't rip off Jane Foster's powers are killing me schtick

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Well they both talked about missing the Planet in L&C so there's something. And putting your own name on something you did is cool but I think Lois is more driven on uncovering the truth to make the world better. Something she can do well as Author X, so she should still gain fulfillment from it. It'd even be nice to see author X as a constant influence around the DCU.
    Being Author X isn't the same as being Lois Lane, reporter for The Daily Planet. Being a reporter, Lois got to socialize at a place of work, she got to use resources more easily, and could investigate or interview in an easier more upfront manner. Being Author X is likely much harder, in terms of investigating, and much more isolating. So, I'm not saying that Lois should care about getting credit above all else, that she shouldn't get fulfillment from being Author X, and that I dislike that this is the alternative avenue she's chosen to continue in order to be herself as best she can given her circumstances. What I'm saying is that, ideally for me and for her, or, said differently, I imagine that if Lois could have her way, she would be a reporter like she used to be and that not being able to be that, and to settle for the next best thing, is frustrating; it should be frustrating for Lois and it is for me as her fan. It's the kind of frustration that's part of reading fiction and going on the ride of a character's journey. It's not a criticism of the current status quo. I appreciate how this is the best that can be done, and it works very well as a source of conflict, which I like and which every story needs. Accordingly, I'd love to see Author X developed more. I also would like to see Clark investigate and write himself. Again, my feeling still is, though, that people who are forced to hide, lie, and live within limitations that constrain their natures and their habits, as Lois and Clark have been, should be written to still have those parts of themselves and to be frustrated sometimes about their situation.

superwoman would be better if they didn't rip off Jane Foster's powers are killing me schtick
    I thought the Jane Foster thing was different in that it wasn't the powers killing her per se, but that the powers were preventing her getting the benefit of her cancer treatments; so the cancer was still killing her. Is it really just the powers killing Jane? I ask because I don't read or follow Marvel and this is just the bits and pieces that I've gleaned from random experiences on the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Being Author X isn't the same as being Lois Lane, reporter for The Daily Planet. Being a reporter, Lois got to socialize at a place of work, she got to use resources more easily, and could investigate or interview in an easier more upfront manner. Being Author X is likely much harder, in terms of investigating, and much more isolating. So, I'm not saying that Lois should care about getting credit above all else, that she shouldn't get fulfillment from being Author X, and that I dislike that this is the alternative avenue she's chosen to continue in order to be herself as best she can given her circumstances. What I'm saying is that, ideally for me and for her, or, said differently, I imagine that if Lois could have her way, she would be a reporter like she used to be and that not being able to be that, and to settle for the next best thing, is frustrating; it should be frustrating for Lois and it is for me as her fan. It's the kind of frustration that's part of reading fiction and going on the ride of a character's journey. It's not a criticism of the current status quo. I appreciate how this is the best that can be done, and it works very well as a source of conflict, which I like and which every story needs. Accordingly, I'd love to see Author X developed more. I also would like to see Clark investigate and write himself. Again, my feeling still is, though, that people who are forced to hide, lie, and live within limitations that constrain their natures and their habits, as Lois and Clark have been, should be written to still have those parts of themselves and to be frustrated sometimes about their situation.
    Ok, I see what you're saying here. Yeah, it should be frustrating hiding the way she does and using indirect means. If written well, though, it could turn into a positive experience.

thought the Jane Foster thing was different in that it wasn't the powers killing her per se, but that the powers were preventing her getting the benefit of her cancer treatments; so the cancer was still killing her. Is it really just the powers killing Jane? I ask because I don't read or follow Marvel and this is just the bits and pieces that I've gleaned from random experiences on the interwebs.
    That' correct. The powers are seeing the chemo as a poison and neutralizes it when she transforms. I stopped reading her book, though, so I'm not sure if this developed further.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling
    I can't comment on the quality of the book or the idea before I actually read it, but I see it taking a different turn from the way Thor is going about it. Marvel and DC have overlapped in general ideas all the time but due to the fact that the universes, talent and characters are very different, so are the results.

BANNED

She seems about the same to me. Not sure what you're seeing there.
    eh maybe it seemed that way from the face and the cover

Gonna' have to agree with MissLane on this one - Lois is definitely someone who doesn't like skulking about in the shadows, she's not the hiding type - and it makes perfect sense that she'd want to put her name on the byline - how many times haven't we seen her and Clark Kent get into fights about the name on the byline? She's a person that obviously have worked hard for recognition, only girl-reporter back in the 1930's-40's and all.

Logically, PC-Lois would be itching to get back out there in the public again.

eh maybe it seemed that way from the face and the cover
    Actually, I'm not sure if I see it in the cover in this thread, but Jimenez DOES have a tendency to draw his characters less young than others. His version of Wonder Woman is the perfect example - she should be ageless, but he definitely gives her a feel as being around 36-37 years old (almost 40, but not quite).

You can see it in stuff like Final Crisis and such as well - it's not something he does ALL the time, like Alex Ross, but it does happen about 40% or so of the time.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 06-20-2016 at 04:19 AM.