Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Spider-Man/Deadpool #5 having Mephisto taunt Peter suggests that, yes, Mephisto does remember the deal. Why else would he go speak to Peter?
    Suggestion is one thing and confirmation is quite another. Especially for Marvel.
    I don't say that you are wrong but until i see Mephisto appearing in front of Peter and MJ and stating something solid that indeed remembers the deal, i would like to keep my expectations low.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Do people who complain about OMD actually read ASM? Post-OMD there might have been a story or two where he was with Aunt May. That did not remain the case and, aside from having a long-running gig at Horizon Labs, he's now the multi-millionaire owner of a globally successful company. Not exactly a loser living on his Aunt's couch.

You bring up a good point regarding the current proliferation of youth characters at Marvel but to say that Peter was reverted into a failure post-OMD is flatly incorrect.
    He's not a financial failure. You are absolutely correct. Although that success is because a genocidal supervillain handed Peter an advanced degree and a company on a silver platter, which Peter happily took without asking questions or having moral qualms even when it was revealed a terrorist was his main investor and the company's success is due to "one magical day" when Parker Industries spiked and other companies fell on the stock market.

However, mentally and emotionally Peter acts like he should still be living with Aunt May, most recent example being Peter starting a superpowered fight with Tony Stark in the middle of a public park with civilians around, over a superhero who Peter later admits is much better trained that he was at that age, so the comparison isn't that off.

Spectacular Member

Have them remember at least.

I don't know what an actual "undo" would even look like, since all these somehow-associated changes are attached to the event -- the marriage, Harry Osborn, the magical psychic virus firewall thing, Aunt May, power changes...

At one point I thought that the Scarlet Witch would have been the perfect person to get involved in this. Reality warper, a backstory with Mephisto and disappearing children, a generally messed up character history -- if she undoes the spell, there's probably a new Mephisto story there. Of course all that has changed (again).

It's pretty amazing how many hoops they jumped through just because someone had hangups about divorce.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Suggestion is one thing and confirmation is quite another. Especially for Marvel.
    I don't say that you are wrong but until i see Mephisto appearing in front of Peter and MJ and stating something solid that indeed remembers the deal, i would like to keep my expectations low.
    That's fair. I don't believe that Mary Jane "tricked" Mephisto in OMIT as Quesada would have us believe, and Mephisto doesn't explain why he's haunting Peter.

BANNED

I'm pragmatic about this--I don't necessarily need to see Peter and MJ wed again. I just want the rotten devil deal to be tossed out, or resolved in some fashion.

Peter and MJ can either reconnect or go their seperate ways, whatever needs to happen in the story as organically as possible.

Though as has been pointed out, Marvel has plenty of teen-Parker Experience type characters to shill now, especially Miles. If they're really going to push Miles as a teen hero called Spider-Man, then why does Peter need to be stuck in the status quo of the Stern era, for all intents and purposes?

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Why else would he tell Peter that he'll be forever alone because of him if it wasnt OMD he was talking about.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

BANNED

The biggest mistake was Peter revealing himself to EVERYBODY in the world. That just blew up every chance or idea of Peter Parker being a relatable everyman, cuz now he's a world-famous celebrity/vigilante/superhero/terrorist depending on your definition(you could easily argue that Peter Parker CEO is doing something similar, but thats another discussion). Anything that put that genie back in the bottle was a net positive.

I feel like they've been slowly trying to erase OMD without explicitly making an OMD Didnt Happen story. Like in Spider-Island when Peter Parker went on the air meaning everybody could now figure out who he was, because the magical seal protecting him is gone when he revealed his face. And his history with all the characters like the Fantastic Four and the Avengers are back when he revealed his face to them and the memories came back. Shame about him and Matt Murdock tho, since he's blind and thus can't see Peter's face and get his memories back. They used to have a really cool relationship post-"Death of Jean DeWolfe". So they managed to make SOME people remember Peter is Spidey(and all their relationships/developers), and they put back that dramatic tension of certain characters not knowing he's Spidey and he has to be careful around them, and yet not everybody knows him.

Incredible Member

As long as includes the end of Peter Starker and the Felicia heel turn then yes I will be glad

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    The biggest mistake was Peter revealing himself to EVERYBODY in the world. That just blew up every chance or idea of Peter Parker being a relatable everyman, cuz now he's a world-famous celebrity/vigilante/superhero/terrorist depending on your definition(you could easily argue that Peter Parker CEO is doing something similar, but thats another discussion). Anything that put that genie back in the bottle was a net positive.

I feel like they've been slowly trying to erase OMD without explicitly making an OMD Didnt Happen story. Like in Spider-Island when Peter Parker went on the air meaning everybody could now figure out who he was, because the magical seal protecting him is gone when he revealed his face. And his history with all the characters like the Fantastic Four and the Avengers are back when he revealed his face to them and the memories came back. Shame about him and Matt Murdock tho, since he's blind and thus can't see Peter's face and get his memories back. They used to have a really cool relationship post-"Death of Jean DeWolfe". So they managed to make SOME people remember Peter is Spidey(and all their relationships/developers), and they put back that dramatic tension of certain characters not knowing he's Spidey and he has to be careful around them, and yet not everybody knows him.
    It was also probably the single most ridiculously out of character moment in his history. Say what you will about Slott's poor characterization, Peter Parker is quite literally the last possible person who would ever want to publicly reveal his identity. Even ignoring the fact that multiple times Spider-Man has been wanted for various crimes he didn't commit, basically every single time one of the man's enemies has discovered his identity it has led to tragedy or at least the grave threat of tragedy. Gwen, certainly, but Venom's threats were no less severe, and everything that happened during both Clone Sagas was a direct result of someone knowing his identity (including the death of his child and the kidnapping of Aunt May). It was just a stupid forced decision that only got through because editorial demanded it (and, frankly, JMS wasn' exactly the best at character history).

Fantastic Member

That Peter/Iron Man fight was awful. One of the worst, out of character moments for Peter I have ever read. It wasn't even funny and wasted the whole issue. I wouldn't blame that on Marvels direction or anything, just a horribly written issue designed to pad this Regent stuff out a bit more and have the line from the Avengers in a comic.

Extraordinary Member

I say the franchise would be better off with the OMD dead and buried; it's a horribly conceived story that attempts to address a non-issue that may actually be an advantage. Others have covered why it's a bad story with twisted morality that doesn't paint a flattering picture of the character and uses a half-cooked variation on logic to tell its story. My issue is that I genuinely think it's existance was driven by an obsolete idea.

Characters should grow. Even in comics. Especially even in comics. Anytime someone argues that a comic enthusiast claims that a character should be single again, and especially when they want that to happen without using divorce, estrangement, or other real life methods to do so, all I hear is "Soap Opera romances that hurt the brain and waste my time are fun!" And no they're not; love triangle bull**** has ruined far more stories than it's ever helped. And I loathe stagnation in characters, which is exactly what One More Day is about. It's was trying to enforce a status quo the books had moved beyond and above for the sake of some fantasy that somehow audiences will perpetually flock to a strict formula in the modern day and age.

I mean, when I got into comics and had my 20$ to spend on comics or pizza in a month, why should I have flocked to a franchise celebrating regression and a stubborn refusal to show characters maturing when right next to them was a series of books that embraced legacy and featured graduating sidekicks and expanding franchises? If one product was telling me "Don't worry, we'll be telling the exact same kind of stories that you can find in your library for free forever!" and yet another is saying "Hey, we just put a crazy Scotsman in charge of making our hero a father, and another guy is making those space cops you love-all of them-find a new way to fill up not one, but four books, so hop on in if you want to see what we're doing!", why should the latter interest me at all?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Yes! OMD reversed please...and this must mean that Peter and MJ are together again...married or whichever, but together as a loving couple and tight....and remain so...there would be no other reason to reverse OMD....do I expect this to happen, not really...if it happened would I trust Dan Slott and Marvel to do right by this relationship...not really....so let's just see shall we?

Jon

Spectacular Member

OMD was not taking a step back, but going backwards. They don't need to restore the marriage, just have Peter & MJ remember that they were married and pick it up from there.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I would like "One More Day" unraveled and the Spider-Marriage restored. And most importantly, I would like Annie Parker becoming a regular character in the ANAD Marvel.

Now, however, we should think about the consequences. We have seen in "Amazing Spider-Man #14" how Peter and Mary Jane accidentally pulled off the situation about the time they lived in the Avengers Tower, apparently causing Iron Man and Jarvis to have some "memory trip". And in the next scene, we have Aunt May coughing blood. This can't be good. I have some serious suspictions about all this:
    + Aunt May's life was saved thanks to the deal with Mephisto. So, if the deal is off and the Spider-Marriage restored, this would likely cause tha Aunt May dies.
    + Also, if the deal is off, that means Peter's secret identity could be no more secret, which could cause a situation with the same problems form the original Civil War. Since Peter has his own company now, that could allow him to be prepared to defend himself. Then again, with so many spider persons now, maybe Peter could prepare something to make people disbelief that.

Aunt May's demise will surely leave us Spider-Fans very sad. But I just noticed somethig that could "fix" it; at least partially. As you know, Miles Morales survived the destruction of the Ultimate Universe and he's now part of the main Marvel Universe. However, many of us believe that Miles and his supporting cast can't be the only survivors. In fact, we have discovered that the Maker (evil Ultimate version of Reed Richards) survived too. I personally want to believe that there are more survivors out there, and I want to believe they are out there somewhere.

So, how about if Ultimate Aunt May survived too? Many of us Ultimate-Fans are very sad with the idea of losing this Aunt May. So, if classic Aunt May dies, why don't they allow Ultimate Aunt May take her place? I know, it won't be the same, but many fans are way more content with a healthy and younger version of Aunt May than her fragile classic self. What do you think?

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Well, as to complications, Peter and MJ being married again, or remembering they were, would lead to memory that they had a child.....what happened to the child, where the child is, would be a right complication! A nice set up for a continuing story, but with it's own complications...

As to Aunt May, you're idea Ursalink about the ultimate, younger Aunt May has some appeal, but I think the original version dying is a pill that might have to be swallowed....I know her status in Spider canon, but acceptance of the progression of Peter as being married and thus more mature goes hand in hand with the realistic expectation that his elderly, often frail Aunt, is inevitably going to pop off in the passage of time...

Jon