Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why didnt Rogue ever.....

Hi everyone

I have a question about Rogue and her uncontrollable powers with skin to skin contact. Now I haven't read very much X-men only the various cartoons and the movies so this may have already been answered somewhere (I think she might have full control now?) but I wanted to know if this was ever addressed:

In the 90's cartoon the government of Genosha used power blocking collars on mutant slaves which could stop & start their powers at will, I assume this was brought over from the comics. If so why didn't Rogue ever use one voluntarily when off duty? She could wear it when living her civilian life and remove/deactivate it when she needs to use her powers. Sure it would be awkward but at least she could then live a relatively normal life?

Would appreciate any answers about if this or anything similar was ever brought up in the comics?

BANNED

Comic book logic. Polaris nicely pointed it out

In the comic, it was a mutant named Whpeout who took Rogue's power...and I think he was killed by Hodge later

IIRC, the question was asked in X-Mail and the editors/writer/whoever said that the reason she didn't use a inhibitor item to control her power was because the X-Men didn't know how it would effect her powers in the long run.

Sorry, I can't remember what issue that was.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Off topic: maybe I don't know the character as well as I thought I did, but I'm kind of surprised that Jubilee of all people would come off as the most prudish of this bunch. Am I missing something or is this "a case of the writers"?

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    IIRC, the question was asked in X-Mail and the editors/writer/whoever said that the reason she didn't use a inhibitor item to control her power was because the X-Men didn't know how it would effect her powers in the long run.

Sorry, I can't remember what issue that was.
    I will second that I also remember this being the case, though I too cannot remember what issue it was stated.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 06-18-2016 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Off topic: maybe I don't know the character as well as I thought I did, but I'm kind of surprised that Jubilee of all people would come off as the most prudish of this bunch. Am I missing something or is this "a case of the writers"?

I will second that I also remember this being the case, though I too cannot remember what issue it was stated.
    It's case of the writers, Chuck austen in this case...

BANNED

I think rogue wanted to naturally get control of her powers instead of relying on artificial things

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    I think rogue wanted to naturally get control of her powers instead of relying on artificial things
    Seconded. Even though the writers took forever in doing so imo.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Well...back in 1998, Rogue head was so messed up by the debacle of Gambit's "Trial" she started going to a doctor who claimed he could remove mutant powers. Rogue was about to undergo the process, when Mystique intervined .Rogue went back, had a heart to heart talk with the doctor,changed her mind and told the doctor to destory the machine.

Austen read message boards and wrote his story around posts he thought were interesting. Similar to Bendis.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

A friend of mine drew once a funny pic in which Rogue bribed Leech to hide himself in her bedroom in order to have sex with Longshot . I don't know if they allowed the child to peep.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    A friend of mine drew once a funny pic in which Rogue bribed Leech to hide himself in her bedroom in order to have sex with Longshot . I don't know if they allowed the child to peep.
    So funny, I used to joke about this possible scenario with a friend of mine. To quote TAS, "You help Leech, Leech help you."

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    This makes the most sense. She's always been pretty stubborn and a proud mutant for the most part. Having to rely on something that was originally made to subjugate people like her, seeing it in her day to day or in her most intimate of moments may not be the most palatable of situations. So while I think the main version of Rogue would be opposed to it, I don't see why alternate versions wouldn't have gone that route, especially the younger ones. I'm sure with some effort the device could be miniaturized to fit around a wrist or ankle, perhaps as a piece of jewelry. Who knows?

On the other hand, if it came down to it and she needed to use it to let's say, save her own child, I doubt she'd think twice. But it's just her and her wish to control herself, not desperately laid.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 06-19-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I suppose it's a similar issue as Kurt's image inducer. Just so tempting to give up your principles just to feel yourself loved...

Chuck Austen wasn't all that consistent about characterising Jubilee as prudish, he just needed someone in any dialogue to prudish so the other person can be super crass (he's the guy that had Annie express that Chamber was unlovable cause he can't kiss, Jubilee express that she should've gotten naked with Skin regardless of wether she felt the same way about him as he did about her for sake of getting naked with someone and have Jubilee pay compliments to Nightcrawler's junk and had Juggernaut one-nightstand She-Hulk and so on and so forth.)

I would like to think the Uncanny X-Men era 2002-2005 was an extended non-canon alternate reality series titled "What If...Chuck Austen wrote the X-Men?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I wonder where Longshot currently is at. Now that him and Dazzler are long done, I kind of want him and Rogue to have a one night stand. It's very long overdue since she can now control her powers and he doesn't have much baggage. Though I am not sure why his powers altered the probability of her powers working against him during the Outback era.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!