All-New Member

Default The thing is, you can't really do Batman without Bruce Wayne can you?

This statement really expands far past Bruce and Batman. But Superman, Aquaman, Green Lanter, GA . . . hell most of the main stay heroes that we have grown up with. Im all for big twists, innovations, and diversity in the comic industry as we push into the future (lord knows we need it), things HAVE to change. But lets all be honest with ourselves, most of us cannot accept a different person playing Batman (or Supes, or [insert your favorite character here]). Dick did a pretty good job as batman, Gordon was a bust for me as he was for many of you I would presume. It's not that we are elitist deusch-nozzles, its just that certain (albeit most superheros) characters are simply defined by their alter egos. Superman must be Kal el, Bats must be Bruce, Aquaman must be the prince of Atlantis, so on and so forth. Granted, not all superheroes are bound to these rigid rules, GL has found a way around it due to their being multiple rings. This rant is not aimed at any specific story arc or comic book. . . I was just trying to be honest with myself on whether I could accept a new person playing batman, I cannot. I mean, these characters have to grow old and die eventually right?

Quote Originally Posted by Redruum View Post
    This statement really expands far past Bruce and Batman. But Superman, Aquaman, Green Lanter, GA . . . hell most of the main stay heroes that we have grown up with. Im all for big twists, innovations, and diversity in the comic industry as we push into the future (lord knows we need it), things HAVE to change. But lets all be honest with ourselves, most of us cannot accept a different person playing Batman (or Supes, or [insert your favorite character here]). Dick did a pretty good job as batman, Gordon was a bust for me as he was for many of you I would presume. It's not that we are elitist deusch-nozzles, its just that certain (albeit most superheros) characters are simply defined by their alter egos. Superman must be Kal el, Bats must be Bruce, Aquaman must be the prince of Atlantis, so on and so forth. Granted, not all superheroes are bound to these rigid rules, GL has found a way around it due to their being multiple rings. This rant is not aimed at any specific story arc or comic book. . . I was just trying to be honest with myself on whether I could accept a new person playing batman, I cannot. I mean, these characters have to grow old and die eventually right?
    That's because it's an identity, not a uniform. Batman is part of Bruce Wayne's psyche; he is Batman, just as Diego de la Vega is Zorro and Sir Percy Blakeny is the Scarlet Pimpernel. Anyone else is an impostor. Anyone can wear an armored power suit; but, that doesn't make them Iron Man, anymore than wearing a suit of armor made someone Lancelot. The costume is just an outward representation of the inner identity. That's why substitution doesn't work long term.

I've never been a fan of legacy characters taking the costume and name of a hero. I prefer that Dick Grayson takes up Batman's role, as Gotham's protector, rather than trying to masquerade as him. I never liked the legacy replacements of the JSA. I'd rather they have new names that connect to their predecessor. Nuklon/Atom Smasher invoked the GA Atom, without using the name. Rick Tyler was never quite Hourman. Before the retcons, Fury invoked a connection to Wonder Woman. To me, that works better and lets the new character be their own person. There are exceptions. Wally West couldn't be the Flash; but, it was known that he wasn't the original and the costume was tweaked to differentiate him (well, to move it closer to the tv show, really). I think I would have kept his Kid Flash costume; but, modified it here and there, and call him Flash. However, trademark requirements often are involved in these kinds of things and licensing concerns.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    That's because it's an identity, not a uniform. Batman is part of Bruce Wayne's psyche; he is Batman, just as Diego de la Vega is Zorro and Sir Percy Blakeny is the Scarlet Pimpernel. Anyone else is an impostor. Anyone can wear an armored power suit; but, that doesn't make them Iron Man, anymore than wearing a suit of armor made someone Lancelot. The costume is just an outward representation of the inner identity. That's why substitution doesn't work long term.

I've never been a fan of legacy characters taking the costume and name of a hero. I prefer that Dick Grayson takes up Batman's role, as Gotham's protector, rather than trying to masquerade as him. I never liked the legacy replacements of the JSA. I'd rather they have new names that connect to their predecessor. Nuklon/Atom Smasher invoked the GA Atom, without using the name. Rick Tyler was never quite Hourman. Before the retcons, Fury invoked a connection to Wonder Woman. To me, that works better and lets the new character be their own person. There are exceptions. Wally West couldn't be the Flash; but, it was known that he wasn't the original and the costume was tweaked to differentiate him (well, to move it closer to the tv show, really). I think I would have kept his Kid Flash costume; but, modified it here and there, and call him Flash. However, trademark requirements often are involved in these kinds of things and licensing concerns.
    Exactly, nonetheless Morrison's Batman & Robin (Dick Grayson & Damian) were the last truly great Batarc for me and Brubaker's Captain America (Bucky Barnes) was the best Cap arc in decades. As soon as those writers left so did the quality and it became just a gimmick.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I think changing the character would work fine if they actually tried to commit to the legacy concept. I think we could accept a different guy as Batman as a string of sidekicks trained into the role. It's a little more difficult with Superman, I guess since he's tied directly to his uncommon origin, but Superman does benefit from alien longevity so him sticking around makes sense.

Either legacy or passing down a Power Set a a Mantle of Power, if done right. Something like Batman would work as a Legacy, each previous Batman takes in and trains the next generation who eventually inherit the Batman identity. I agree, that could have worked, especially if they established that from the beginning.

I don't think Bruce Wayne took Dick Grayson in with the thought of one day passing on the identity of Batman to him. If Bruce had said that in the comic series, that he would one day inherit this Legacy, and that he would then have ot chose and train the next generation, then it makes sense. But Bruce and Batman became so interwoven, that it is hard to see anyone else as Batman.

In the Manga, My Hero Academy, right from the beginning, they show how a Power can be passed on from one person to another. With the understanding that the current hero received his power the same way and that the young boy he chose to pass his power on to will one day do the same to someone else. Doing it like that makes sense.

But when you have someone like Superman, there can only be one and they insure this by making Superman all but immortal. That creates it's own problem of having the same hero do the same stuff over and over again. But that is what they are stuck with.

Green Lantern was done better, showing that the Power is transferable. They did this right from the start, making it easy to move from one character to another, and creating a whole universe of Green Lanterns. Right now, there are Legendary Green Lanterns, but not one single Green Lantern. Some might like Hal Jordon, other might like John Stewart, and so on.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

The elseworlds miniseries Generations did this pretty well.