Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Joker View Post
    Until DC or Brian in this new 52 states that Ares is not the father of Hippolyta I will continue to think that Ares is.
    And if there is evidence that Ares is not the father of Hippolyta please post it.
    Hippolyta has NEVER been stated as being the daughter of Ares in DC Comics? Ever? In any incarnation?

She's only Ares' daughter in the myths. DC has never gone that way.

Also? Hippolyta knew she was sleeping with Zeus. If she knows she's the daughter of Ares, then she would've known she was about to sleep with her grandpa.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 06-27-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Hippolyta has NEVER been stated as being the daughter of Ares in DC Comics? Ever? In any incarnation?

Also? Hippolyta knew she was sleeping with Zeus. If she knows she's the daughter of Ares, then she would've known she was about to sleep with her grandpa.
    Amazing
    I just posted proof === http://www.carolastrickland.com/comi.../dpindex3.html

Last edited by Jesters Joker; 06-27-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Again no longer the case.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 06-27-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: referenced edited post

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Again no longer the case.
    can you post where this is the case?

can you post where this is the case?
    It has not been stated in this continuity or even the pre-flashpoint continuity. I started this thread to discuss the HYPOTHETICAL situation of a future writer exploring whether or not the relationship between Hippolyta and Zeus was consensual. Ares is not her father and that has no bearing on this subject anyway.

Amazing Member

It has not been stated in this continuity or even the pre-flashpoint continuity. I started this thread to discuss the HYPOTHETICAL situation of a future writer exploring whether or not the relationship between Hippolyta and Zeus was consensual. Ares is not her father and that has no bearing on this subject anyway.
    OK if Ares is not Hippolyta’s father then who pray tell is Hippolyta’s father???
    And as far as wither Zeus raped or seduced Hippolyta like the Titan Leto (daughter of the Titans Cronus and Rhea) who seduced Zeus and had a daughter from Zeus named Diana (goddess of the hunt) in Greek myth is totally up to the next creative team.
    And yes it would be very easy for the next creative team to keep this adulterous affair in place or turn it into a rape.
    And we will have to accept whatever the new creative team decides.
    Last edited by Jesters Joker; 06-28-2014 at 03:06 AM.

OK if Ares is not Hippolyta’s father then who pray tell is Hippolyta’s father???.
    Azzarello has never contradicted the Marston or Perez creation of the Amazons. Just Diana's creation.

So for all intents and purposes, some, if not most, of the Amazons could still have the molded out of clay by Aphrodite origin of the past. So Hippolyta might not have any father.

BANNED

And we will have to accept whatever the new creative team decides.
    You might. I have the option of not accepting this and justdropping the book and never looking back.

BANNED

I`m going ahead and just say that Zeus initiating a sense of passion on Hippolita is no different than any male pulling his best qualities up for attractive purposes and score a night with a woman - regardless of whether they think they are good for each other or not in a hyphotetical relationship. That`s passion.

Most of Zeus out-of-the bedlock adventures in classic myth were done throught treachery (disguise) so Hera wouldn`t find out about it. Not throught a distorted sense of control "oh, you think I`m evil? I`ll just rape you anway". It`s still classified as such in a modern train of thought because the victims don`t get asked to chose, but some of them end up mating with animals that Zeus disguised himself as..so.

Cases, like Alchema, are it out of neccessity, carrying a prophecy.

Anyhow, I`m a bit tired of "rape" being the sole definition of the title character`s origin. Hypollita was an Alpha female. Zeus was very obviously "the" Alpha male. They wanted to get dirty and did. I don`t need to know anything else.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 06-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

When John Byrne was on the book, he revealed that Ares was Hippolyte's father. Was right around the time she became the Goddess of Truth...
    Richard Alexander

Mighty Member

Even if Ares is her father, the problem with devine incest is quite spread through out the rest of the family. So figures if they don't see any problems with it, more likely embracing. Stuff similar to this was the norm in royal houses around in Europe. Keeping the blood royal, respecting tradition.

Besides, they're all gods. I don't think biology applies. But yeah, it comes off as a bit off
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-29-2014 at 01:27 PM.

BANNED

getting really annoyed with these radical idea threads....

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Azzarello has never contradicted the Marston or Perez creation of the Amazons. Just Diana's creation.

So for all intents and purposes, some, if not most, of the Amazons could still have the molded out of clay by Aphrodite origin of the past. So Hippolyta might not have any father.
    True, but this Bio plainly states that Ares is Hippolyta’s father
    I know this bio is in need of a major upgrade, but it plainly revels that at one time in the DC universe Ares was considered Hippolyta’s father.
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hippolyta_(New_Earth)

Do you think that somewhere along the road when another writer wants to explore it, that it would be revealed that Hippolyta did not actually consent to having sex with Zeus? If so, how do you think this should be handled? If not, why do you think it should be avoided? To be clear, I am not just doing this to bait anyone or start a fight. I am genuinely interested in others' opinions on this subject.
    Well given the nature of Greek mythology, I wouldn't be surprised if the lines between consent and manipulation were blurred. All throughout mythology, Zeus deceived mortal women into sleeping with him. He often took other forms. In fact, shortly after the relaunch, Hermes stated outright that Zeus would take a form to arouse the greatest possible passion from a woman. That's pretty consistent with mythology.

That said, to change the nature of Hippolyta's consent at this point would be require quite a retcon. In the flashbacks Hippolyta described, Zeus didn't take a different form. He was just himself and that was enough to get things going between him and Hippolyta. She described it fondly. Now maybe she could have been manipulated on some levels, but I don't think it should be fully retconned to imply that she was forced. I think that wouldn't be consistent with Zeus' nature, at least in the context of Greek Mythology. Besides, I think that sort of theme was already explored pre-reboot with Hercules and doesn't need to be explored again.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Well given the nature of Greek mythology, I wouldn't be surprised if the lines between consent and manipulation were blurred. All throughout mythology, Zeus deceived mortal women into sleeping with him. He often took other forms. In fact, shortly after the relaunch, Hermes stated outright that Zeus would take a form to arouse the greatest possible passion from a woman. That's pretty consistent with mythology.

That said, to change the nature of Hippolyta's consent at this point would be require quite a retcon. In the flashbacks Hippolyta described, Zeus didn't take a different form. He was just himself and that was enough to get things going between him and Hippolyta. She described it fondly. Now maybe she could have been manipulated on some levels, but I don't think it should be fully retconned to imply that she was forced. I think that wouldn't be consistent with Zeus' nature, at least in the context of Greek Mythology. Besides, I think that sort of theme was already explored pre-reboot with Hercules and doesn't need to be explored again.
    The funny thing about Zeus using his true form is that it's meant to be fatal to those who aren't full-blooded gods. This is actually how Hera killed Dionsyus' mother in the stories.