The Wolverine
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    X-Men
    X-Men: Apocalypse
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Deadpool
    X-Men: The Last Stand

Fantastic Member

I don't usually watch this guy but he puts into words the typical anti-Movie X-Men sentiments pretty well so I figured I should post it.

Obviously I don't agree. He makes good points - although it's a fairly obvious point really - about the appeal of the X-Men. But Patrick Stewart, as great as he is, did not make people defend the X-films. What the X-Men represented was an idea that existed long before the movies were made. It just so happened now we had a really good actor putting it into words. And of course he was just reading a script, a script created to channel those ideas that had already been established.

Also maybe it's just me but as wrong as a lot of the characterization was in the movies, I don't think anything as as wildly off as Tobey-man, yet he complimented Raimi's Spider-Man.

I refuse to listen to MovieBob

Astonishing Member

My ranking would be

1. X-Men DOFP
    2. Deadpool
    3. X2
    4. X-Men
    5. X-Men First Class
    6. X-Men Last Stand
    7. Wolverine Origins
    8. X-Men Apocalypse
    9. The Wolverine.

I recently watched The Wolverine the extended version and I will never re-watch that movie again. I remember being not impressed the first time I saw it in the theatre and after the second time I realized it's the most boring of all the X-Men movies. The worst. At least Origins had a slew of characters that didn't take the script so serious.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    I refuse to listen to MovieBob

I can respect that.

Double post.
    Last edited by Franchise408; 06-21-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

I don't usually watch this guy but he puts into words the typical anti-Movie X-Men sentiments pretty well so I figured I should post it.
    This guy reminds me of Peter from Family Guy(voice-wise), but he spoke a lot of truth.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

Obviously I don't agree. He makes good points - although it's a fairly obvious point really - about the appeal of the X-Men. But Patrick Stewart, as great as he is, did not make people defend the X-films. What the X-Men represented was an idea that existed long before the movies were made. It just so happened now we had a really good actor putting it into words. And of course he was just reading a script, a script created to channel those ideas that had already been established.

Also maybe it's just me but as wrong as a lot of the characterization was in the movies, I don't think anything as as wildly off as Tobey-man, yet he complimented Raimi's Spider-Man.
    That video is the epitome of why I hate Internet comic book fans.

Just gonna say I disagree 100% with that video and leave it at that.

As far as my rankings go:

1. X-Men: Days Of Future Past
    For sure my favorite movie, in large part because Days Of Future Past is my favorite X-Men story, and also of course because I think the movie is just incredibly well done and a wonderful adaptation of the original story, while still adding it's own elements to it to fit within the movie universe. With the exception of Mystique's over importance to the universe, I feel that every change for the movie only added to the stort, and didn't detract. Xavier's arc is wonderful (even if I do feel it's kind of redundant to show the origins of him embracing the wheel chair when we already saw him paralyzed in the last movie), the scene of McAvoy and Stewart together is wonderful, and the future action sequences are the best in the series.

2. X-Men: Apocalypse
    If X-Men: Days Of Future Past is the best adaptation of an X-Men story, I believe that X-Men: Apocalypse is the best adaptation of the fantasy that makes X-Men fun. All in all I feel it's the most "X-Meny" of the series, it makes up for past disappointments in the series, and tells a very strong X-Men style story in the process. Again, Mystique is far too important to the overall universe, but that is easily forgiven with how literally every other character is handled.

3. X-Men: First Class
    It's honestly a wonder that this movie is this high up for me. I think that Matthew Vaughn took a juvenile approach to this movie, was more interested in making a James Bond style action flick than an X-Men movie (his own words), and this is by far the least accurate and least "X-Meny" movie of the series, to the point that at times, it doesn't even feel like an X-Men movie. But credit to Vaughn where it's deserved, the movie f'ing works. Magneto is brilliant and is the highlight, and his emotional arc is among the best the series has to offer. If one character was done right in this movie, it was Magneto, and his moments are powerful and they are many. While in the long run I think that Fassbender's Magneto is inferior to McKellen's, THIS SINGLE MOVIE might be the best Magneto we've gotten all series.

4. X2
    Spots 4, 5, and 6 is where things get a little muddled cuz I ultimately probably like all of these movies in this section equally, but for different reasons. But I will give X2 the edge because I do feel that objectively it's the better movie, and the cliffhanger is easily one of the best moments of the series. While I think other movies in the series have surpassed it in some ways, all in all it still stands out as an incredibly strong movie.

5. X-Men: The Last Stand
    Wait, did I just say that? Yes I did. While in filmmaking terms it's a big step down from X2, I have never agreed that this movie is the cluster fuck that it's made out to be. At worst, it's a disappointment to not being what many people wanted, but on its own it actually still offers quite a bit. The death of Cyclops and the curing of Rogue remain quite possibly the 2 biggest blunders in this series, but this movie does give us the franchise's best Beast - Grammer absolutely nailed it - a strong Magneto being the global mutant terrorist we know him to be, and while underwhelming, Jean's arc is still emotionally powerful and her finally losing control and asking to be killed on Alcatraz is, I feel, a spectacular sequence that stands atop my favorites.

6. The Wolverine
    A brilliant adaptation of Claremont's run, this movie captivates me from start until... Mecha-Samurai. A slight blunder in the 3rd act, but a very well done tribute to Claremont's work with a strong emotional arc holding it together with Jean Grey that pays off the finale of X-Men: The Last Stand, and may even make it better.

7. X-Men
    I love this movie, but as time has gone on and the stakes of the franchise have gotten bigger, this movie just doesn't have the same awe factor of the others. It still maintains itself as a strong introduction to the universe, with very strong characters that allow us to buy into the concept, the world, and the conflicts.

8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    I don't hate this movie. I still enjoy it lots. But, if i believed that Cyclops and Rogue in X-Men: The Last Stand were 2 of the biggest blunders of the series, Deadpool I'm this movie rounds out the top 3. Also hindered by some really bad script writing, ala adamantium bullets, a Deadpool that's remote controlled by a computer, and an atrocious sequence with a fire escape, along with deleted alternate scenes that would vastly improve the narrative (and maybe even allow some of the blunders to work), this movie is not without cringe worthy moments. But it is not without redeeming qualities. The movie leading up to Agent Zero murdering the Hudsons is strong, we do see the introduction of Gambit finally, and Victor Creed is portrayed just as twisted and demented as he is in the comics. A worthy entry into the series, but not anything to consider a series highlight.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I love how in Moviebob's Apocalypse's review he lied about the Wolverine scene being bloodless and doesn't even attempt to make a balance review(he refuses to mention any positives).

Singer already said he wasn't trying to make it like the Avengers because he knows he would fuck up. First Class had that story structure before the Avengers.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-21-2016 at 11:15 PM.

1. DOFP
    2. Deadpool
    3. X2
    4. First Class
    5. X-Men
    6. Wolverine
    7. Apocalypse
    8. X3
    9. Origins

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Singer already said he wasn't trying to make it like the Avengers because he knows he would fuck up. First Class had that story structure before the Avengers.
    Well that's heartening. I hated The Avengers a lot. It turned me off comic movies until recently. The less Apocalypse is like The Avengers, the better as far as I'm concerned.

1.Deadpool
    2.X-MenOFP
    3.X-Men:Apocalypse
    4.X-Men: First Class
    5.X-2
    6.X-1
    7.The Wolverine
    8. X-3
    9. Origins: Wolverine
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Deadpool
    X-Men: First Class
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    The Wolverine
    X2: X-Men United
    X-Men
    Wolverine Origins

*I haven't seen Apocalypse yet

Incredible Member

I realized I forgot to include the original X-MEN movie (doh!) That should slot in below APOCALYPSE and above ORIGINS.

Cheers.

James.