Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You guys read other comics?

I've come to love and trust this board for all things Batman, but now I'm starting thru the X-Men history. I know there is a separate forum for them, but my question is: what, if any, comics do u read from the "other" side?

It really is true that Batman has some of the greatest writers I've found out...
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

If by the "other" side you mean Marvel I have to say that I no longer read their books. I got tired of the constant events right around the time of Secret Wars, which is when I dropped the last of my Marvel pulls and I haven't looked back. Now outside of the Big 2 I mainly read Valiant titles with a smattering of titles from other independent companies and I also read a bit of manga now and then.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    . . my question is: what, if any, comics do u read from the "other" side?
    If you mean Marvel, I only read Black Widow, Daredevil (and the Daredevil/Punisher mini-series), and Mockingbird at the moment, but many of those are on thin ice.
    It's dangerous to get too much into Marvel; they constantly interrupt storyline directions for MEGA-MUST-READ-CROSSOVER-EVENTS and constantly relaunch books, often with new writers and artists. (And the back-history with X-Men will cause your mind to explode if you try to unravel it too much.)

I'm a bit more satisfied with independent titles from Dark Horse and Dynamite (as well as a few others companies.)

Outside the Batfamily the other properties I follow really closely are Daredevil, Inhumans, Black Panther, Lazarus, Archie, Flash, Aquaman, Zatanna and Green Arrow.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Read Tom King's Vision, he's the writer that just took over the main batman title and his Vision book is the single best comic Marvel is putting out right now. Moon Knight has also been pretty consistently great/good over the past couple of runs(Ellis, Wood, Bunn, and now Lemire's run is shaping up nicely), and All-New Wolverine has been pretty fun.

BANNED

I'll recommend the current (and previous) series of Nova. It has less crossover intrusion than most on goings (there is some but not as much) and it's a simple fun superhero book.

Oh and a word of warning, Moon Knight tends to be very well received, especially when Elllis was writing but it's by no means a conventional book. There are times when it feels closer to a Vertigo title by DC standards

BANNED

I read more Image books these days than Marvel or DC.

The only new stuff I'm following from Marvel is the new Punisher series, Moon Knight and Daredevil/Punisher.

Only books I'm following from Rebirth are Batman, 'Tec and Wonder Woman.

The most promising series from either of the "Big 2" right now is Future Quest IMO, and it isn't even close.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I read a lot of comics form both DC and Marvel. I have a few favorites from the Big 2, but honestly....my favorite comics are independent titles. I really enjoy the TMNT comics from IDW, and I think hands down my favorite comic at the moment is Public Relations from Devils Due.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I read books other then DC yes. I've enjoyed the current Archie comics reboot, and also read Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Boom, TMNT from IDW, Huck & Paper Girls from Image, Invader Zim from Oni Press and the X-O Manowar series from Valiant.

As for books from Marvel. I have Marvel characters I like, but I haven't avidly read anything from the publisher for a good 8 or so years now. Their current comics just don't interest me. Though I may give the upcoming Spider-Man event Dead No More a chance, even if it is just another clone saga type event.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

<-----

I think you can guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's dangerous to get too much into Marvel; they constantly interrupt storyline directions for MEGA-MUST-READ-CROSSOVER-EVENTS and constantly relaunch books, often with new writers and artists. (And the back-history with X-Men will cause your mind to explode if you try to unravel it too much.)
    and DC doesn't do this with Batman?

Hmmm, non DC stuff, well...
    Marvel stuff: Vision, Old Man Logan, All New Wolverine, Extraordinary X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Black Widow, Daredevil, Power Man & Iron Fist, Amazing Spider-Man, Mighty Thor, Iron Man, All New, All Different Avengers, New Avengers, Ultimates, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Darth Vader, Punisher, Karnak, Hawkeye, Patsy Walker, Powers, Vote Loki.
    There used to be more, but I've dropped some, and I have no idea what's going on with some others like Miracleman and if that is still a thing.

Image (Is Image the other side as well?): Lazarus, Injection, Southern Bastards, Nailbiter, Shutter, The Goddamned, East of West, Deadly Class, Manhattan Projects, Sex Criminals, Wicked and Divine, Renato Jones, Black Science, Roche Limit, Saga, Thief of Thieves, Think Tank, The Fix, Postal, Wolf.
    I dropped some here as well, or stuff has just ended like Luther Strode.
    I also read some other stuff like Boom's Klaus, or Dynamite's James Bond.

BANNED

I read a little bit of Marvel. Iron Man, Deadpool, Black Panther, Wolverine, and Dr Strange are on my pull list right now. There are other series I'm interested in like Uncanny Avengers and New Avengers, but I really dislike the current state of Marvel overall so I'd rather save my money for more DC books. Not following any ongoings outside the big 2, but I've read a few trades of stuff like Invincible and a couple horror comics. I wish I could read more Image and Dynamite but I'm so invested in DC that I don't really have the time or money for it.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I read a little bit of Marvel. Iron Man, Deadpool, Black Panther, Wolverine, and Dr Strange are on my pull list right now. There are other series I'm interested in like Uncanny Avengers and New Avengers, but I really dislike the current state of Marvel overall so I'd rather save my money for more DC books. Not following any ongoings outside the big 2, but I've read a few trades of stuff like Invincible and a couple horror comics. I wish I could read more Image and Dynamite but I'm so invested in DC that I don't really have the time or money for it.
    After Marvel did the first Civil War, and before the New 52, I was strictly DC. I bought everything they had to offer. I was kind of glad I branched out though. There are some really amazing independent comics being published. I understand how it is to be invested in DC, but I hope some day you are able to check into other comics.

I grew up watching Marvel on television
    I got my first Marvel comic in 1972 and became a huge fan.
    for decades I was buying
    Incredible Hulk
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Captain America
    Uncanny X-Men
    Mighty Avengers
    Fantastic Four
    Daredevil Man With Out Fear
    Invincible Iron Man
    Mighty Thor

through out the decades I also followed Defenders and Wolverine and West Coast Avengers and New Mutants and so many other books....... I just loved reading Marvel Comics

I have not read much from Marvel since Disney took over....... I do pick up All New Wolverine and Ms Marvel here and there, but for the most
    part really don't feel or want to read Marvel comics now.
    I wish for that to change......... for Marvel to change and that I can once again enjoy Marvel comics and love the characters

I read a lot of DC. I stopped reading Marvel (except Star Wars). It's replaced by creator-owned books and The Walking Dead.