Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If Superman has a "Nightwing" to his "Batman", it really would be this guy:

Lar Gand, aka Mon-El aka Valor aka the often forgotten but always valid member of the Superverse.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Power girl is more like Batwoman. Superman doesn't have a Nightwing or a Red Hood. But I agree that if Superman comes back it should be as Superman. Superdad can go back to his universe.
    Maybe not immediately, he could be used to promote something before that. Does anyone think that if he were on the JSA, it would promote the JSA by getting Superdad fans interested in following him on that roster?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    So, when the Batman line decided they wanted to move on from Dick Grayson as Robin, Dick became Nightwing, with his own book and costume, mostly fighting on his own.

We've kind of talked about this before, but some time has passed and I wanted to put it in a more straight forward way:

What if new52 Clark Kent came back with his memories and powers (or some of his powers) intact, but for whatever reason wound up with a different secret identity and his own book?

For the sake of discussion, let's say he wears the family crest and cape, but his variant of the costume is green (His biological parents wore green, right?), blue, and red instead of just red and blue, and he just goes by Kal-El or something. He could keep the high collar and the Kryptonian body armor, since SuperDad isn't using them, and they could make him even more distinctive. Maybe he defends another city. He could still work as a reporter, since SuperDad doesn't, but at a different newspaper. Maybe he doesn't go by Clark Kent as his human name because Clark Kent is well known to be a superhero in this universe, and that name change further removes him from stepping on SuperDad's toes.

Alternately, they could just make him like Truth Superman with a t-shirt, jeans, and a motorcycle and a limited power set, riding around the country seeing sights and kicking butt (Under whatever name).

Either way, he's got all the memories and personality of the new52 Superman, because that's who he is, even though he wouldn't call himself Superman in the book.

I don't know what the storyline rationale is of him not being Superman again, but I'm sure they'd think of something.

Personally, I would subscribe to that book.

I'd rather he come back and be Superman, but if it isn't happening, I'd rather see him revived in his own book that I could read every month than have to choose between ditching Superman entirely or dealing with this SuperDad/SuperJon crap.
    I really like your idea and I want him back in action. I'd fully support any reasonable form for NuSuperman to come back. He needs to be back. He does not have to be the central Superman, but he can still be a Superman. There is room for both, with one more experienced/married than the other. After reading "Last Days" it would be an absolute travesty to not keep him around; there were some great moments there. I also think the romance with WW has been a very nice addition to the larger mythos.

I think we'll find out he was either Conner or something crazy like a version of Hyper-Man holding down the fort. I also like the red/blue Superman idea from manofsteel1979 derived from the Millennium Giants storyline - Johns occasionally pulls forward past ideas. I suspect the Legion will have a hand in bringing him back.

Whatever they do DO NOT MERGE THEM! They are different beings! We really don't need a schizophrenic Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cxranger View Post
    I really like your idea and I want him back in action. I'd fully support any reasonable form for NuSuperman to come back. He needs to be back. He does not have to be the central Superman, but he can still be a Superman. There is room for both, with one more experienced/married than the other. After reading "Last Days" it would be an absolute travesty to not keep him around; there were some great moments there. I also think the romance with WW has been a very nice addition to the larger mythos.

I think we'll find out he was either Conner or something crazy like a version of Hyper-Man holding down the fort. I also like the red/blue Superman idea from manofsteel1979 derived from the Millennium Giants storyline - Johns occasionally pulls forward past ideas. I suspect the Legion will have a hand in bringing him back.

Whatever they do DO NOT MERGE THEM! They are different beings! We really don't need a schizophrenic Superman.
    It wasn't a good addition to both superman and wonder owman mythology. it failed pretty badly

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Don't think so. At least dead he remains a figure of significance; Robin to Nightwing is an upgrade, but Superman to this is a demotion forced by outside circumstances.
    I try to see this comics but because I LIKE NIGHTWING.. But I think the same of Dispenser of Truth.

Although if my character returns as Clark Kent(he still alive in September) seems a large-scale degradation of a character... GOODBYE AGAIN.. Once said that interests me Superman by Clark Kent? The boring part should continue? He is better death..
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-21-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If Superman has a "Nightwing" to his "Batman", it really would be this guy:

Lar Gand, aka Mon-El aka Valor aka the often forgotten but always valid member of the Superverse.
    Haha. Imagine if New 52 Superman is Lar Gand.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    .....I cant decide if thats the most insulting thing they could do, or the best possible thing they could do (for Lar, anyway.)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post

I would take that - I had thought that as well. I have always loved the Mon-El/Lar Gand character. It would be an interesting twist on the Superman legend that on one Earth, Lar Gand was thrown back in time, filling in, and grew up (again) to be Superman.

They would need to explain the change in appearance, no memory of his past life, kryptonian paraphernalia, and why he has reacted to kryptonite the way he has among other things. Maybe he can stay with WW then. DC so far has not shown they can properly use the Daxamites.

Other than New 52 Superman returning as the real Superman of the current continuity would be an insult. He rather stays dead for all I care.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I have felt fine with there being two myself, especially given that there is one that is essentially a "sequel" to what happened in the post-crisis continuity. Another one, since he is a different person, can do things differently, IMO. I liked Post-Crisis as something I grew up with. I like Nuperman because he is essentially a DC equivalent of an Ultimate Marvel character that I got to see get his start in my day. I wouldn't mind having two Supermen, when there is a distinction between the two and I get both.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 06-21-2016 at 06:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    someone (dont remember who, sorry) once had the idea of the name "Scion", if that should be the case it would be a good enough name for me to buy it too
    I am the one who keeps dropping the SCION name around here,BUT not for nuperman,for kon-el.kon is the SUPER character who needs a "nightwing" evolution,now more than ever with jon taking the superboy mantle,and kenan taking his old stchick.

Incredible Member

I would take that - I had thought that as well. I have always loved the Mon-El/Lar Gand character. It would be an interesting twist on the Superman legend that on one Earth, Lar Gand was thrown back in time, filling in, and grew up (again) to be Superman.

They would need to explain the change in appearance, no memory of his past life, kryptonian paraphernalia, and why he has reacted to kryptonite the way he has among other things. Maybe he can stay with WW then. DC so far has not shown they can properly use the Daxamites.
    After the death of his parents, Clark Kent didn't want to carry on being Superman. He let Mr. Oz strip him of his powers.

The Legion, concerned about the impact on the timeline, sent Lar Gand back in time to fill in. Brainiac 5 did a little genetic tinkering, Saturn Girl tidied up Lar's memories.

That would be one way you could account for Clark running around without powers, New 52 Superman, etc. I doubt it's the case but it would be a fairly neat solution... And one that poses a problem that pre-Flashpoint Superman would need to take an active role in fixing.

I really kind of like the idea that pre-Flashpoint Superman must convince Clark to become Superman. And if he can't do that, well... It might require more drastic measures.

I say no. That's like a slap to the face. Come back as Superman or let him rest in peace.