Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you feel about new52 Superman as the SM line's version of Nightwing?

So, when the Batman line decided they wanted to move on from Dick Grayson as Robin, Dick became Nightwing, with his own book and costume, mostly fighting on his own.

We've kind of talked about this before, but some time has passed and I wanted to put it in a more straight forward way:

What if new52 Clark Kent came back with his memories and powers (or some of his powers) intact, but for whatever reason wound up with a different secret identity and his own book?

For the sake of discussion, let's say he wears the family crest and cape, but his variant of the costume is green (His biological parents wore green, right?), blue, and red instead of just red and blue, and he just goes by Kal-El or something. He could keep the high collar and the Kryptonian body armor, since SuperDad isn't using them, and they could make him even more distinctive. Maybe he defends another city. He could still work as a reporter, since SuperDad doesn't, but at a different newspaper. Maybe he doesn't go by Clark Kent as his human name because Clark Kent is well known to be a superhero in this universe, and that name change further removes him from stepping on SuperDad's toes.

Alternately, they could just make him like Truth Superman with a t-shirt, jeans, and a motorcycle and a limited power set, riding around the country seeing sights and kicking butt (Under whatever name).

Either way, he's got all the memories and personality of the new52 Superman, because that's who he is, even though he wouldn't call himself Superman in the book.

I don't know what the storyline rationale is of him not being Superman again, but I'm sure they'd think of something.

Personally, I would subscribe to that book.

I'd rather he come back and be Superman, but if it isn't happening, I'd rather see him revived in his own book that I could read every month than have to choose between ditching Superman entirely or dealing with this SuperDad/SuperJon crap.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Don't think so. At least dead he remains a figure of significance; Robin to Nightwing is an upgrade, but Superman to this is a demotion forced by outside circumstances.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    So, when the Batman line decided they wanted to move on from Dick Grayson as Robin, Dick became Nightwing, with his own book and costume, mostly fighting on his own.

We've kind of talked about this before, but some time has passed and I wanted to put it in a more straight forward way:

What if new52 Clark Kent came back with his memories and powers (or some of his powers) intact, but for whatever reason wound up with a different secret identity and his own book?

For the sake of discussion, let's say he wears the family crest and cape, but his variant of the costume is green (His biological parents wore green, right?), blue, and red instead of just red and blue, and he just goes by Kal-El or something. He could keep the high collar and the Kryptonian body armor, since SuperDad isn't using them, and they could make him even more distinctive. Maybe he defends another city. He could still work as a reporter, since SuperDad doesn't, but at a different newspaper. Maybe he doesn't go by Clark Kent as his human name because Clark Kent is well known to be a superhero in this universe, and that name change further removes him from stepping on SuperDad's toes.

Alternately, they could just make him like Truth Superman with a t-shirt, jeans, and a motorcycle and a limited power set, riding around the country seeing sights and kicking butt (Under whatever name).

Either way, he's got all the memories and personality of the new52 Superman, because that's who he is, even though he wouldn't call himself Superman in the book.

I don't know what the storyline rationale is of him not being Superman again, but I'm sure they'd think of something.

I'd rather he come back and be Superman, but if it isn't happening, I'd rather see him revived in his own book that I could read every month than have to choose between ditching Superman entirely or dealing with this SuperDad/SuperJon crap.
    someone (dont remember who, sorry) once had the idea of the name "Scion", if that should be the case it would be a good enough name for me to buy it too

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If he came back in Truth fashion, with his underdog of the people thing going, I would dig it. I had a real problem with the story but the concept works well when there is another, more traditional Superman out there. He could totally pal around, with what he already has in a supporting cast and relationships within the superhero community. Road Dog Kal.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

Superdad goes by Smith, so you don't have two Clark Kents. As far as I am concerned, the Smiths are the grown up equivalents. I don't have a problem with them staying Smith or with any kind of returned Nuperman being named Clark Kent. There's no reason why you can't leave Nuperman dead or bring him back with the name Superman either. There's plenty of ways to distinguish the two Supermen if needs be. One can be JSA, obviously one is married with a kid, one goes by Smith instead of Kent, etc.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 06-20-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If he came back in Truth fashion, with his underdog of the people thing going, I would dig it. I had a real problem with the story but the concept works well when there is another, more traditional Superman out there. He could totally pal around, with what he already has in a supporting cast and relationships within the superhero community. Road Dog Kal.
    I certainly would be interested in having one public Superman. He's young, he can take it, and if so, it would distinguish him.

I wouldn't be a taker. Its a demotion. If he comes back, it should be as Superman. Or don't do it at all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't see any point in bringing him back at all if they aren't going to let him be Superman. They rebooted the universe for a reason and apparently forgot what that reason was. No matter what they do, there are people who are going to be unhappy.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's better for him to stay dead than getting demoted.

Gonna jump on the Nope train to F**k-Thatville.

Robin to Nightwing was an upgrade. Nuperman becoming "Nightwing" is a downgrade.

What I would accept is Nuperman retaining the Superman name but working at a Morrison/Golden Age power level and really hitting the "champion of the people" approach. Put him back in the t-shirt with the beard from Future's End, cleaning up Suicide Slum (and maybe even living in Kentville), and I'll read that all day every day! He can be Superman Red. Still a downgrade, but highlights the best version of that character (in my opinion) and provides a very different type of story from what Superdad is going to give us. I'd be satisfied with that.

Superman already has a "Nightwing" in Power Girl too, though a lot could be done to capitalize on that fact. And if DC needed another "Nightwing" then Conner deserves it, especially with Jon being the new Superboy. I'd say Kara's earned it too, and would honestly rather see her "upgrade," but we already have Power Girl, so....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Robin to Nightwing was an upgrade. Nuperman becoming "Nightwing" is a downgrade.

What I would accept is Nuperman retaining the Superman name but working at a Morrison/Golden Age power level and really hitting the "champion of the people" approach. Put him back in the t-shirt with the beard from Future's End, cleaning up Suicide Slum (and maybe even living in Kentville), and I'll read that all day every day! He can be Superman Red. Still a downgrade, but highlights the best version of that character (in my opinion) and provides a very different type of story from what Superdad is going to give us. I'd be satisfied with that.

Superman already has a "Nightwing" in Power Girl too, though a lot could be done to capitalize on that fact. And if DC needed another "Nightwing" then Conner deserves it, especially with Jon being the new Superboy. I'd say Kara's earned it too, and would honestly rather see her "upgrade," but we already have Power Girl, so....
    Can ya think of a title for the comics specifically New-52 Superman will be mainlining?
    New ones also wanted.
    The usual Action comics.
    Ones I can think of:
    Superman - Man Of Steel
    Superman - Champion of the Oppressed
    Superman - Last Son Of Krypton
    Superman - Marvel of Steel/ Steel Marvel

im more pragmatic about that, maybe by going "downgrade" nuperman could gain some new, non-classic is the only way clusterf***

he could even get good stories without having the fandom split in the "my superman" or "shipper" wars

if the name is the sacrifice to have it back and have his writers going boldly innovative without fear then so be it

but i still preffer the CBA artifact suit over the jeans n tshirt

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy's Name View Post
    Can ya think of a title for the comics specifically New-52 Superman will be mainlining?
    New ones also wanted.
    The usual Action comics.
    Ones I can think of:
    Superman - Man Of Steel
    Superman - Champion of the Oppressed
    Superman - Last Son Of Krypton
    Superman - Marvel of Steel/ Steel Marvel
    If DC published a comic about a grass roots, social activist, Golden -Age inspired Superman, there's only one name the comic can be called.

Man of Tomorrow.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If DC published a comic about a grass roots, social activist, Golden -Age inspired Superman, there's only one name the comic can be called.

Man of Tomorrow.
    Dang, I knew I forgotten something!

Power girl is more like Batwoman. Superman doesn't have a Nightwing or a Red Hood. But I agree that if Superman comes back it should be as Superman. Superdad can go back to his universe.