Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member

I am still holding out for Swamp Thing

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    That has nothing to do with it. How does a 3-part Batman crossover with a completely different artist on #7 have anything to do with neither Janin or Finch being the artist on #6?

I'm not saying they couldn't keep up or whatever, I'm sure it was planned, just that (for me) it's a bit of a warning sign that the first 8 issues of the new Batman series would have had 4 different artists (assuming Janin is drawing the next full arc)
    I didn't pay attention to that. Mostly I just look at the release dates on the solicits and nothing else. My mistake.

In any case I still don't see the need for panicking over it. Finch does the first 5 issues, Reis has the 6th (maybe because it's a stand alone one), 7 is part of the crossover that has a different creative team anyway and presumably 8 is Janin. Seems to be business as usual to me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

In the same manner as people who like trades vs. people who like single issues, there are people who buy comics primarily for the art vs. people who buy comics primarily for the story. I happen to be an art guy. Even if the story is junk, if the art is gorgeous, you can pull that book out years from now and still enjoy how beautiful it is. True, the art "might just be there to tell a story." But if you just wanted a story, you could read a book. If you ask me, art is what makes a comic book. Way back in time (I'd like to call it the 80's. ) you'd have one artist, most of the time, doing huge runs on books. Think John Byrne on Fantastic Four, etc. 64-ish issues. And not one. single. fill-in. Now, today, there's more expected of artists, and the detail of what they're drawing, and the coloring itself is pretty much an art form today (not just a bunch of "flat" tones as it was back in those early days.) But multiple artists on any run kinda kill a book for me. Sure, if it were 4 top notch artists, great. But unfortunately that is never the case. Again, everyone has different art tastes, as well. Take Action Comics for example. I simply love Patrick Zircher's artwork. I will literally just buy a book for his art. But then you've also got Tyler Kirkham on Action (sorry, but, not for me) and Stephen Segovia (who can be pretty good, but also hit or miss.) So three artists, and only one I'm really honestly interested in. But again, different strokes for different folks.

For Sure
    SUPERGIRL #1
    TRINITY #1
    ACTION COMICS #963
    ACTION COMICS #964
    ALL-STAR BATMAN #2
    AQUAMAN #6
    AQUAMAN #7
    DEATHSTROKE #2
    DEATHSTROKE #3
    BATMAN #6
    DETECTIVE COMICS #940
    NIGHTWING #4
    BATMAN #7
    NIGHTWING #5
    DETECTIVE COMICS #941
    THE FLASH #6
    THE FLASH #7
    GREEN ARROW #6
    GREEN ARROW #7
    GREEN LANTERNS #6
    GREEN LANTERNS #7
    HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #4
    HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #5
    THE HELLBLAZER #2
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #4
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #5
    NEW SUPER-MAN #3
    RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #2
    SUICIDE SQUAD #2
    SUICIDE SQUAD #3
    SUPERWOMAN #2
    SUPERMAN #6
    SUPERMAN #7
    TITANS #3
    WONDER WOMAN #6
    WONDER WOMAN #7
    BATMAN BEYOND #16
    SIXPACK AND DOGWELDER: HARD-TRAVELIN’ HEROZ #2

Tryout
    DOOM PATROL #1
    BLUE BEETLE #1

Maybe
    BATMAN BEYOND: REBIRTH #1
    CYBORG: REBIRTH #1
    TEEN TITANS: REBIRTH #1
    HARLEY QUINN #3
    HARLEY QUINN #4
    SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO/BOOMERANG #2

So many DC's to buy. But I dunno some of these double ship titles (Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Aquaman) may have to go of my pull list at some point and just pick up the trades. Hopefully they will pull back on the double shipping at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanaaron View Post
    In the same manner as people who like trades vs. people who like single issues, there are people who buy comics primarily for the art vs. people who buy comics primarily for the story. I happen to be an art guy. Even if the story is junk, if the art is gorgeous, you can pull that book out years from now and still enjoy how beautiful it is. True, the art "might just be there to tell a story." But if you just wanted a story, you could read a book. If you ask me, art is what makes a comic book. Way back in time (I'd like to call it the 80's. ) you'd have one artist, most of the time, doing huge runs on books. Think John Byrne on Fantastic Four, etc. 64-ish issues. And not one. single. fill-in. Now, today, there's more expected of artists, and the detail of what they're drawing, and the coloring itself is pretty much an art form today (not just a bunch of "flat" tones as it was back in those early days.) But multiple artists on any run kinda kill a book for me. Sure, if it were 4 top notch artists, great. But unfortunately that is never the case. Again, everyone has different art tastes, as well. Take Action Comics for example. I simply love Patrick Zircher's artwork. I will literally just buy a book for his art. But then you've also got Tyler Kirkham on Action (sorry, but, not for me) and Stephen Segovia (who can be pretty good, but also hit or miss.) So three artists, and only one I'm really honestly interested in. But again, different strokes for different folks.
    Same. I mainly buy comics for the art. Sometimes i don't even look who's writing it when looking at the solicitations and stuff.

If i was all about writing i would just read regular books which have some of the best writing in the universe, not some twitter esque writing that was squished into a small character limit box. The art is what separates comic books from other books. There is some good writing to be found in comics, no one can deny Neil Gaiman's a superb writer for example it's more the comic book format and it's short limitations and not the writers themselves necessarily. [Or, like how in Titans: Rebirth the writing far outshined the art for example in how the writing can excel at times] I think the cartoon type of stuff and having it close out in 1-2 issues [like how a cartoon episode or issue's story closes out in the 1 episode or maybe expands to 2 and a new story begins and the humor aspect fits quite well because it doesn't need so much depth] fits more in comics in that regard than trying to make it into these sweeping epic stories as if they're novels when they just aren't.

I see the writer in comics being more responsible for the direction, creation, maintaining and establishing than the actual quality of the writing itself. The writing steering the ship, while the art is the captain.

I do like variety and so i can't say i'd want 1 artist on like 60 issues, but to see someone like Schmidt already off Green Arrow is quite disappointing. I wouldn't want him on every single issue cuz as said i like to mix it up but i'd like to see great artists on more than a few issues at least.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-21-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

For the record, I never said I didn't want/need the art at all. I just find most of the artists pretty interchangable. But obviously other people feel more strongly about it. DC has stated that they try to find artists that have similar styles for a given book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I am still holding out for Swamp Thing
    He's co-staring in the new Hellblazer series. That's probably the best you're going to get for now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Might also check out BLUE BEETLE, but I don't have my hopes up. Don't really care about Ted Kord at all, just ANOTHER rich dude.

Giffen is writing though, could be fun.

When they come out:

BATMAN BEYOND: REBIRTH #1
    SUPERGIRL #1
    TRINITY #1
    ACTION COMICS #963
    ACTION COMICS #964
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #4
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #5
    NEW SUPER-MAN #3
    SUPERWOMAN #2
    SUPERMAN #6
    SUPERMAN #7
    TITANS #3
    WONDER WOMAN #6
    BATMAN BEYOND #16
    DOCTOR FATE #16
    WONDER WOMAN ’77 SPECIAL #4
    FUTURE QUEST #5
    ASTRO CITY #39

Probably later:

DOOM PATROL #1
    AQUAMAN #6
    AQUAMAN #7
    BATGIRL #3
    BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY #2
    HARLEY QUINN #3
    HARLEY QUINN #4
    GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER #1
    RAVEN #1-6
    EARTH 2: SOCIETY #16
    HARLEY QUINN AND HER GANG OF HARLEYS #6
    DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #17
    SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #18
    BATMAN '66 MEETS STEED AND MRS. PEEL #1-6
    SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Looking over teh statues, I realised that the Flash one doesn't look like New 52 Flash, really. I mean, there's no crazy line work, and that's legit the biggest distinguishing feature of that costume ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

BANNED

Batman#6
    Detective Comics#940
    Harley Quinn#3
    Harley Quinn#4
    Wonder Woman#6
    Wonder Woman#7

undecided on the night of monsters crossover(mostly cause my overall comics pull list is enough to handle without crossovers)

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Might also check out BLUE BEETLE, but I don't have my hopes up. Don't really care about Ted Kord at all, just ANOTHER rich dude.

Giffen is writing though, could be fun.
    I'm only interested in the magic angle of the scarab; it not being alien in nature.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song