Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #1 Spoilers

Well, I just read issue #1 and I have to say that I like what i'm seeing so far. Diana goes to see the Cheetah in hopes of getting Cheetah's goddess to help her get back to Themyscira which is somehow lost to Diana. After being attacked by Cheetah's minions of were-men(?) she finally gets attacked by Cheetah herself who manages to pin Diana on the ground before Diana makes her plea to Cheetah for help. Diana tries offering an olive branch to Cheetah and her minions several times before fighting them which I thought was a huge step up from Rucka's characterization of Diana from his previous run. In the midst of all of this Steve Trevor is leading a unit of men nearby against a foreign dictator. Steve appears to be under the command of Etta Candy(who is still African American but now pleasantly plum ala pre-New 52 Amanda Waller sans the constant foul attitude). Sharp's design for the Cheetah is a bit terrifying(in a good way) and I also love his rendition of Etta with her glammed up hair & nails. This book is off to a great start IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I loved the nod to her Year One Story with Steve holding the photo of Diana, and its drawn by Nicola.

And I love Diana being 6'3".
    Richard Alexander

This was beautiful in every way! I can;t wait for the next issue by Scott...and I REALLY can't wait for the one after that by Sharp again!!

So much to love here!!! Etta! Super hot Steve! Beautiful Diana! And SCARY AS HELL looking Cheetah!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Much better than that Rebirth issue. Much more accesible, it was nice to see Etta(love that she is black now, honestly read all of Geoff's JL run and didn't even know she was in it, I guess it was because she was black in that book.) Rucka said she was gonna Trevor interesting in this book, so we will see.

That Cheetah was perfection, atleast in looks. I need to see if she's as cunning and ruthless and intelligent as she was Post Crisis before I get too happy. They've turned her into a joke for far too long.
    Richard Alexander

I'm personally not a *huge* fan of Cheetah's design. I've always preferred her with long hair. But yeah, I'm waiting for her to return to her roots and show that she's not just a rabid animal.

Loved Etta (those nails!), the big gal is finally back. Steve was great (Sharp draws a very attractive Steve). I'm excited to learn more about the random supporting characters like Etta's co-worker Leah and Steve's troop.

But god... that art. I love Rucka but Sharp is really just wowing me. Absolutely love it.

Hrmmmm...why can't I find this on DC's site????

Always Rakzo

Not bad. I still think that Rucka goes a bit repetitive with the whole truth theme during the Wonder Woman sections but seeing that he's going to use Cheetah is exciting.

Surprisingly enough, I enjoyed the Steve segment the best. Much better written overall.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Plexter View Post
    Hrmmmm...why can't I find this on DC's site????
    here is comixology link if you still can't find it: https://www.comixology.com/Wonder-Wo...QvbGlzdDExNjcw

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Great stuff! I'm so happy right now - that is as much as I've enjoyed a WW comic in many years. First time in forever where you really see and feel what Trevor has to offer. Etta is back in a BIG way. And finally, Cheetah should always be hovering around the WW book as Diana's greatest foe. A true Rebirth for the character and I can't wait to see where this goes

That final page was beautiful. Seems like things are gonna converge in an interesting way for Steve and Diana and then comes the knowledge bomb that she can't even reach Themyscrica anymore.

Comicosity really loved the issue:

http://www.comicosity.com/review-wonder-woman-1/

The feeling I keep coming back to on this book is that sensation of the breath of life. There is so much history to Diana, Princess of the Amazons, and so much of it is convoluted, mismanaged, and antagonistic to the very soul of this woman who represents humanity at its absolute, quintessential best.

On one hand, this is why I’ve never flustered at the idea of Diana as a god, because what are gods if not what humans aspire to be? But at the same time, Wonder Woman is not humanity at its physical strongest or most elegantly beautiful.

Well, she is, but it’s not about that.

Wonder Woman is humanity at its most humane. And with an integrity and purpose that cannot waiver. A will of steel. Conviction and unerring commitment to peace at all costs, even through controlled violence.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Comicosity really loved the issue:

http://www.comicosity.com/review-wonder-woman-1/

The feeling I keep coming back to on this book is that sensation of the breath of life. There is so much history to Diana, Princess of the Amazons, and so much of it is convoluted, mismanaged, and antagonistic to the very soul of this woman who represents humanity at its absolute, quintessential best.

On one hand, this is why I’ve never flustered at the idea of Diana as a god, because what are gods if not what humans aspire to be? But at the same time, Wonder Woman is not humanity at its physical strongest or most elegantly beautiful.

Well, she is, but it’s not about that.

Wonder Woman is humanity at its most humane. And with an integrity and purpose that cannot waiver. A will of steel. Conviction and unerring commitment to peace at all costs, even through controlled violence.
    Whoa--I think I like the review even better than the issue. I don't know whether I'd agree with the reviewer about which parts of the character's history are "convoluted, mismanaged and antagonistic [to the core of the character]"; but I agree about what the core of the character is, and the reviewer captures it poetically.

The issue was good, but I think a little slow-paced--maybe just because I feel a little anxious for Wonder Woman to get to some actual dialogue. So far, other than the Steve/Etta scenes, there hasn't been any real back-and-forth dialogue; it's been all monologue, with Wonder Woman either seemingly stuck in her own head or addressing someone who hasn't responded yet.

On a less philosophical note--why is Steve a "master chief" (according to Etta)? Wasn't he an Air Force Colonel? Did he transfer to the navy and get busted down to a non-commissioned officer rank?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 06-22-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Spectacular Member

Etta, Steve & Cheetah.
    OK it is definitely the WW book.
    I love it.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

A serviceable issue. I felt the rebirth issue was stronger.

The art was pretty though.