Default Dark Night: A True Batman Story

Paul Dini's autobiographical work is out today, and I have to say, it's incredible. It's really not so much a full autobiography, nor is it a behind-the-scenes detailed look into the inner workings of Batman: The Animated Series. Bits of that are in there, but Dini himself explains that this is not the story of how BTAS came to be. It is all about how Dini survived a brutal attack on his life and how he took a deep, introspective examination of himself to recover from it.

I am calling this the best Batman comic of the year even though Batman really isn't in it. Dini's personal interpretation of Batman is, but he appears as a coping mechanism to help Dini get through his trauma. It's a very good read and I hope readers get this one. (I wrote up more in a review over here.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't read the words, I just like it when Batman punches people.

(no, I'm not Bart Simpson taking to Alan Moore, just kidding)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It made me like Dini as a person, had no idea about all the non-mugging issues he went through and DarkKnight felt so honest it hurt. Considering where Dini is now... there's even a happy ending. The art doesn't hurt either. The book might even get better on a second read when I already know what to expect. There seems to be zero marketing and discussion about it