Default Paul Fieg's Wonder Woman Movie Pitch

With the movie drawing nearer to release, I thought we'd discuss an... interesting pitch for a Wonder Woman movie made b Paul Fieg, the director of Bridesmaids and The Heat.

The idea for Feig’s film would’ve involved a Wonder Woman who “keeps hitting the glass ceiling” of the superhero world. Conceived as a lighter action-comedy, this Princess Diana of Themyscira has to contend with male heroes like Batman and Superman who are perhaps not as forward-thinking regarding their female counterpart as they should be. (I think the word “jerks” might’ve come up.) Feig compared this Wonder Woman to the suffragist Cicely Hamilton (who wrote the 1908 "feminist" play Diana of Dobson's).
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...to-warner-bros

It's certainly an eye catcher as far as pitches go. I can see why execs turned it down (especially regarding the parts about Superman and Batman). I'd have liked to see it if only to see how it would have been pulled off.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-21-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Superman and Batman most likely being sexist jerks is an automatic pass from me. You don't need to make the male heroes look bad in order for the female hero to look good or be their equal.

Feig's general tone doesn't match Wonder Woman whatsoever. She-Hulk, on the other hand, would be perfect for Feig.

Incredible Member

I'm all for light-hearted, but this pitch, as stated, holds no appeal to me at all. Would she be eating ice cream and crying on her apartment floor in this one, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Feig's general tone doesn't match Wonder Woman whatsoever. She-Hulk, on the other hand, would be perfect for Feig.
    this is exactly where my brain went!

Mighty Member

i dont even want superman or batman mentioned in wonder womans film tbh

BANNED

Nothing against him making original movies, but he's worse for established franchises than Michael Bay is.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-23-2016 at 07:40 PM.

BANNED

Sounds great for a spoof comedy based on Wonder Woman... but if actual Wonder Woman appears, she is supposed to break throgh that glass ceiling and smash it over the head of the first male prick who says she should get back down again.

Already exists, its called Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Agree with most of the comments. Wonder Woman's movie needs to be light and fun, but not at Superman or Batman's expense.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Would his pitch be set in the present day? Why would Clark and Bruce be flabbergasted by a woman doing stuff in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Superman and Batman most likely being sexist jerks is an automatic pass from me. You don't need to make the male heroes look bad in order for the female hero to look good or be their equal.
    T be honest, I don't like that characterization of them either. I think it would fit Guy Gardner or Johns' version of Hal Jordan more.

Would his pitch be set in the present day? Why would Clark and Bruce be flabbergasted by a woman doing stuff in 2016?
    We still have sexism, racism, homophobia etc today.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Nothing against him making original movies, but he's worse for established franchises than Michael Bay is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Sounds great for a spoof comedy based on Wonder Woman... but if actual Wonder Woman appears, she is supposed to break throgh that glass ceiling and smash it over the head of the first male prick who says she should get back down again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Agree with most of the comments. Wonder Woman's movie needs to be light and fun, but not at Superman or Batman's expense.
    Glad we're generally in agreement that this isn't a great idea. I like Feig less & less the more time goes on.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-23-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We still have sexism, racism, homophobia etc today.
    Of course, but Clark and Bruce are too smart to display any of that behavior (barring's Bruce's metahuman paranoia, and even that's not always consistent). The modern versions that have evolved with the times, at least, not their counterparts written back in the 1950s. Clark at worst might be unintentionally condescending if he was being overly chivalrous, but beyond that, either one of them acting like jerks to a woman for doing what they do is ridiculous. Clark is even in love with Lois Lane, one of the best in her field regardless of her sex.

Really?

She hasn't suffered enough?