Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Cecil Castellucci Embraces Madness in "Shade, The Changing Girl"

The celebrated YA novelist teases what fans of Steve Ditko's original series and the '90s Vertigo reimagining can expect from "Shade, The Changing Girl."

Full article here.

This looks incredible! Cloonan and Zarcone are both fantastic artists and I'm so excited to see them work on this new version of one of my favorite series of all time. I've got tons of faith in Cecil Castellucci, can't wait to see this come out.

Definitely giving all of these Young Animal books a try. Seems like DC is putting its weight behind Doom Patrol at least, given all the variant covers.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I really, really wish they would be clear about the shared universe thing and Young Animal. The ambiguity is more damning than whatever the straight answer would be. I just really want to know what type of story I'm investing in before I decide to do so.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

Its shade the changing man not girl. Get it right! No need to call her Shade, she is not. That's Ditko's Shade. Stop changing gender for some PC inclusiveness %$#@!

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I really, really wish they would be clear about the shared universe thing and Young Animal. The ambiguity is more damning than whatever the straight answer would be. I just really want to know what type of story I'm investing in before I decide to do so.
    I have to agree. While I appreciate that there are a lot of fans out there of styles similar to Grant Morrison's, I am not one of them. I find the characterization and storylines a little too abstract and bizarre and dare I say,British?
    I've tried to read stories like Morrison's run on Doom Patrol and found the characters and takes a little too bizarre for myself.
    That being said, I fear for stories which use established characters in this style of characterization because once their runs are cancelled, the characters have become too odd to be reintegrated into the mainstream DCuniverse and we don't get to see them again until the next reboot or rebirth. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by CaptainCarrot; 06-21-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Its shade the changing man not girl. Get it right! No need to call her Shade, she is not. That's Ditko's Shade. Stop changing gender for some PC inclusiveness %$#@!
    Peter Milligan's shade went through multiple incarnations, including a woman......

So that horse had already bolted.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Eh, why not? This has been happening for a while now even since the late 80's/early 90's. I do remember the female Doctor Fate, Negative Woman and even Shade herself (I wouldn't be surprised to see a female Swamp Thing in the future).

I'm personally pretty excited for this line and the kind of creative that it can bring. It has the potential to be the proper Vertigo Rebirth that people have been waiting for.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait for this!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    at this point...it's probably a universe separate from the DC Rebirth books

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    at this point...it's probably a universe separate from the DC Rebirth books
    That's fine. Honestly I can see merit in doing the books a number of different ways but ambiguity does nothing to stoke my excitement.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

Gerard Way saying he's got no clue about what DC Rebirth is and what's going on with it tells you what the imprint's status

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I think that weather the Young Animal books are part of the main DCU or their own seperate Earth will be left ambiguous at first until both lines have had time to grow and see weather or not they are compatible.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    This looks incredible! Cloonan and Zarcone are both fantastic artists and I'm so excited to see them work on this new version of one of my favorite series of all time. I've got tons of faith in Cecil Castellucci, can't wait to see this come out.
    Cloonan's only the cover artist though so she's not really doing much in terms of working on young animal

but i keep hearing she's got a lot of writing gigs so she's too busy to draw anymore

Sorry if there was another thread, but this is all I could find.
    Anyways, I just read #1 and was totally blown away. Major Sandman vibes with this one, I LOVE it.