Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    And just how do you know exactly how many people did play Earthbound on a emulator before Smash? What proof do have even have to a lot of people did this?
    I don't, just like you don't. But I know even people that never played Earthbound knew what it was. And I know it was something that could be played before Smash came out.

None of this changes what I said. As I said before you couldn't even see Captain Falcon anywhere besides the manual in the original F-Zero. F-Zero X was the first time he actually appeared in-game and still you barely saw him. His popularity is definitely mostly Smash.
    That doesn't matter. I didn't say people knew his background and everything. But he is a character from F-Zero, the main character, one of only four characters. He was in two popular games that both came out before the first Smash game. The first F-Zero was also a Nintendo game on their biggest system, more people probably played F-Zero than people that owned N64s.

Okay then explain why there were people complaining about characters like Rocket Raccoon, Nova, Iron Fist, Dormammu, X-23, Taskmaster, Spencer and hell even Arthur and Hawkeye had a good number of complaints when they were revealed as well. People were pretty much saying "Who are these guys?! I don't know them! They suck! It should have been Gambit and Venom instead!"
    People aren't some hive mind. Not everyone knows who all those characters are, and naturally when writing about who they'd like to see, they brought up characters they knew of. Although I can't say I saw much of any complaining about Iron Fist, by Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 he was one of the Marvel character people seemingly most wanted in there.

There were comic book fans here complaining about characters like Rocket Raccoon being there, and unlike people on a fighting game board, those people presumably knew who Rocket Raccoon was. Most people on fighting game forums didn't seem to have a clue who Rocket Raccoon was, he was just some weird raccoon guy. When they saw gameplay of Rocket Raccoon, the talk about the character seemed to pretty quickly change from the time of the leak. There was probably more complaining here about how Black Panther or someone else wasn't there than in other places.

People wanted Gambit and Venom because: They were in previous games, they were popular in those games, they were fun to play, they were visually interesting, and they had cool moves. Gambit was seemingly a big enough character that SNK later did their own version of him in KoF. There were also complaints about how Blackheart wasn't there, and as we know, Blackheart isn't some huge character.

No one was saying Gambit should be there over Spencer and Arthur, at least not anyone with any understanding of how the Marvel Vs Capcom thing works.

The internet is a lot more common now that is was back then and has allowed "freedom of speech" for those who were once speechless. Especially now that we have sites like Youtube.
    The Internet has been extremely common since like the early '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Marvel Heroes and COC came out before the 'cut off' point where Ike ordered that no X-Men and FF characters must appear in future games and media made by Marvel outside the comics, hence why they continue to be allowed to because of licencing issues. Avengers Alliance 2 for example, no X-Men characters or FF characters compared to the first.

Anyway, I'd rather have a Marvel solo game, don't give a damn about Capcom characters who just took up wasted space in those games. Let Capcom make a Capcom solo game if they want. I'm sure it would sell but I wouldn't especially care.
    Exactly. We Marvel fans should really voice our opinion on that to Marvel instead of Marvel only hearing from the MvC fans who want capcom characters. An All Marvel game is way more lucrative and interesting

Someone please start a petition that we can send Marvel.

Marvel Superheros 2

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    They're adding X-Men characters to Marvel Heroes NOW. That would be past the cut off point you're talking about.

They could do an all Marvel game, but, it probably wouldn't be half as interesting. Let's be honest, when it comes to some stuff, like martial artist characters, the Marvel side of things is kind of ****.

Shang chi
    Electra
    Karnac
    Black Panther
    Iron Fist
    Dare Devil
    and a number of other Marvel character could fill the Martial artist void that Capcom characters left. It's only a matter of smart and detailed development

Marvel doesn't need Capcom's characters to sell. Marvel is the biger worldwide brand

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Exactly. We Marvel fans should really voice our opinion on that to Marvel instead of Marvel only hearing from the MvC fans who want capcom characters. An All Marvel game is way more lucrative and interesting
    Agreed, you could have anything from 30 to 50 Marvel Characters alone in a solo fighting game. The trick would be who to include, though if it were MCU roster focused you would likely have it be easier if you were focusing on Avengers and Guardians for characters as opposed to the X-Men and FF.

Fantastic Member

The closest we've ever even gotten to having an all Marvel fighter that wasn't all X-men was Marvel Super Heroes.

And before someone brings up Marvel Nemesis Rise Of The Imperfects, half of that roster contained original characters made up by EA. So that was not even close to being an all Marvel fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    The closest we've ever even gotten to having an all Marvel fighter that wasn't all X-men was Marvel Super Heroes.

And before someone brings up Marvel Nemesis Rise Of The Imperfects, half of that roster contained original characters made up by EA. So that was not even close to being an all Marvel fighter.
    Yeah, that was a bad attempt at MVC, really. I recall when 'Marvel vs EA' was first announced there was all sorts of jokes as to who exactly EA could include since they had no identifiable characters of their own, hence the original ones they hoped would stick in the comics.

There was also the Kinect and Wii exclusive Avengers: Battle for Earth game, which was a terribly rushed and hard to function game made to cover the lack of an Avengers game for the film following the collapse of the TMX Avengers game planned for release in 2012, and was a extremely loose adaption of the Secret Invasion event in the comic (basically done since it had the alien invasion plotline as the film). But that was awful. And EA Chicago had ANOTHER cancelled fighter which was purely Marvel (with Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, Juggernaut and Doctor Doom confirmed as playable) before that got shutdown.

In other words Marvel NEEDS a solid developer who can craft as good a Marvel fighting game experience as Netherealm have with DC's Injustice.

BANNED

Shang chi
    Electra
    Karnac
    Black Panther
    Iron Fist
    Dare Devil
    and a number of other Marvel character could fill the Martial artist void that Capcom characters left. It's only a matter of smart and detailed development

Marvel doesn't need Capcom's characters to sell. Marvel is the biger worldwide brand
    Not really. Besides that most just aren't as visually interesting, those characters wouldn't really fill the gameplay void. Besides Black Panther, most of those characters would probably end up playing the same unlike you just weren't drawing on the actual characters for their move list. Daredevil and Black Panther are the only two of those characters you listed that would probably have a range game.

They are a big brand, but that doesn't mean there characters are all good designs, or that they'd all be fun to play as in a video game.

BANNED

Yeah, that was a bad attempt at MVC, really. I recall when 'Marvel vs EA' was first announced there was all sorts of jokes as to who exactly EA could include since they had no identifiable characters of their own, hence the original ones they hoped would stick in the comics.

There was also the Kinect and Wii exclusive Avengers: Battle for Earth game, which was a terribly rushed and hard to function game made to cover the lack of an Avengers game for the film following the collapse of the TMX Avengers game planned for release in 2012, and was a extremely loose adaption of the Secret Invasion event in the comic (basically done since it had the alien invasion plotline as the film). But that was awful. And EA Chicago had ANOTHER cancelled fighter which was purely Marvel (with Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, Juggernaut and Doctor Doom confirmed as playable) before that got shutdown.

In other words Marvel NEEDS a solid developer who can craft as good a Marvel fighting game experience as Netherealm have with DC's Injustice.
    Marvel vs EA would have been more interesting that what they actually ended up making. Playing as Alice would have been better than what they ended up going with.

With Capcom they had a developer that can craft a better fighting game experience than Netherealm. For all the years they've been making fighting games, NetherRealm just made their first actually good fighting game with MKX.

With Capcom they had a developer that can craft a better fighting game experience than Netherealm. For all the years they've been making fighting games, NetherRealm just made their first actually good fighting game with MKX.
    I would be fine with Capcom doing a Marvel fighting game, whether it was more 2D or 3d. Heck if the X-Men material wasn't an issue I'd suggest they'd adapt the AVX storyline so they have a nice roster of Avengers and Mutants and a reason for more heroes over villains. I actually came up with this 50 character roster for it a while back...
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 07-03-2016 at 04:18 PM.

BANNED

I would be fine with Capcom doing a Marvel fighting game, whether it was more 2D or 3d. Heck if the X-Men material wasn't an issue I'd suggest they'd adapt the AVX storyline so they have a nice roster of Avengers and Mutants and a reason for more heroes over villains. I actually came up with this 50 character roster for it a while back...

A game based just around the Avengers and X-Men fighting, and mostly just heroes at that, sounds pretty lame.

When you want a deviantart image to show up in the image tag, copy and paste the image on the page, not the page url. You do the irk and it won't show up at all.

You've got a lineup of 50 characters there, but I would say both versions of Marvel v Capcom 3 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 have a more interesting cast of characters for just the Marvel side than you've got there. And like, what's the point of haven't some of those characters? You've got Deadpool & Fantomex, two characters that would probably basically play exactly the same.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Someone please start a petition that we can send Marvel.

Marvel Superheros 2
    MvC has lots of history and a marquee title among fighting game fans. An all Marvel fighter would be nice but MvC is a much safer bet. Not to mention the 3v3 tag is a huge draw as there isn't any fighting game out there like it.

A game based just around the Avengers and X-Men fighting, and mostly just heroes at that, sounds pretty lame.

When you want a deviantart image to show up in the image tag, copy and paste the image on the page, not the page url. You do the irk and it won't show up at all.

You've got a lineup of 50 characters there, but I would say both versions of Marvel v Capcom 3 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 have a more interesting cast of characters for just the Marvel side than you've got there. And like, what's the point of haven't some of those characters? You've got Deadpool & Fantomex, two characters that would probably basically play exactly the same.
    Thanks, I guess DA stuff doesn't agree with tag all that well. In any case I figure a roster like this means that fan favourite characters who would never normally appear in the fighting games like Captain Britain and Fantomex get to appear. I'm not sure exactly why you think those rosters are better though, given those two games Marvel rosters were virtually all 90's popular X-Men, whilst there's a nicer balance here. And basing it on AVX means you have a reasoning for a greater focus on heroes over villains, and of course more modern additions to the teams. And for the most part there's a nice counter character from the ones on the left to those on the right. Personally I think it's got all the logical additions I'd want in a game (minus Nightcrawler who was absent in AVX so...).

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    MvC has lots of history and a marquee title among fighting game fans. An all Marvel fighter would be nice but MvC is a much safer bet. Not to mention the 3v3 tag is a huge draw as there isn't any fighting game out there like it.
    The only thing I don't like about Capcom's approach to 3v3 is that they're not all fighting together at once! How awesome would a fighting game be if you could have whole teams of characters working together. Or having Ultimate Alliance 2's fusion attacks translated into a fighting game mechanic by different finishers with pairs?

Here's the thing, Eddie Brock Venom is Venom. When someone's playing a video game, they want to play as the iconic version of a character, not whatever version is around the year the game is coming out. Flash Thompson Venom is also a whole different style of Venom, his gameplay would be based around using weapons, which would be nothing at all like the Venom in MvC2. The two characters also look completely different from one another. Eddie Brock Venom is also the more relevant verson of the character, if Venom is showing up in movies, or cartoons, or other video games, that's the version they're going with.

If they put Kraven the Hunter into the game, people would probably want the original version too, because nobody really gives a **** about the other two. If MvC3 had come out in 2002, people probably also wouldn't want Ultimate Green Goblin, because he neither looks like, nor would he play anything like normal Green Goblin. Likewise, people wouldn't want Iron Man Norman Osborn over Green Goblin Norman Osborn. Because why would anyone? You've already got a character there that looks and plays like Iron Man, his name is Iron Man.
    Changing the gameplay style isn't an issue for Capcom. They completely changed Jill in MvC3 to match her incarceration from Resident Evil 5. They changed Frank West from how he was in TvC. Zero was given new supers and a new move when he made the jump from TvC. Even the Marvel characters from past games got changes. While Doom has all the same moves he had before he is nothing like how he was in MvC2 where he was more of a zoning character. They completely changed how Iron Man works in MvC3 with having a non-standard air dash (starts slow before acculturating), changing the button input for smart bombs and having them hit OTG, and not having the War Machine carry over like War Destroyer even though he was just a black and grey color swap of Iron Man.

The only thing I don't like about Capcom's approach to 3v3 is that they're not all fighting together at once! How awesome would a fighting game be if you could have whole teams of characters working together. Or having Ultimate Alliance 2's fusion attacks translated into a fighting game mechanic by different finishers with pairs?
    They likely won't happen as it would heavily impact the competitive balance of the game. Depending how good pair specific moves and stat boosts are team compositions would get stale real quick. Having all the characters would only really work if it's 2v2. MvC1 had that and it completely broke the game.