Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
    Marvel v. Capcom failed when they never released any N64 version of the game and they had online capabilities of the Saturn. If you want that game you might as well use Kalleria client to play with real players across the world. I was like flying all over the place. Too many good fighting and beat em up games to play
    This guy makes total complete sense.

Looking at the EventHubs comments for the MvC4 articles, I really hope that this Marvel-Fox stuff blows over in time for MvC4 to happen (if at all). I don't want the FGC to incur Civil War III.
    Marvel Fan (Avengers, Guardians, Spider-Man, X-Men, Inhumans, you name it), DC Fan (Too Many Just to Name), Smash Wii U Tournament Organizer/Competitive Player, Overall Gamer

Astonishing Member

Maybe this time they can make a game for normal people instead of whatever's left of the tournament scene that hasn't been gobbled up by League of Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Maybe this time they can make a game for normal people instead of whatever's left of the tournament scene that hasn't been gobbled up by League of Legends.
    It would probably be good if they removed movement commands. Those seem to be a barrier for a lot of people getting into fighting games, and some seemingly can never get the hang of them for whatever reason. For the last few years I've been wondering what it would be like if instead of command moves they did it like an RPG. So instead of quarter circle forward for fireball, you just held the right trigger and that modified the face buttons into one button Specials that use meter to execute. So instead of worrying about how to pull off a move, players just had to think about stuff on screen, like character placement, meter, and how fast or slow the move is—stuff like that.

There's some fighting game with robots that came out last year I think that kind of did something like this. But they also put cool downs on the moves which is something I wouldn't do, I just have them be governed by meter and animations.

That all said, MvC3 is a pretty easy game to get into. I'd say it was Capcom making a fighting game for normal people. It's probably why you've only got three normal attacks by that game. Would have been better if the Special button in MvC3 like the special Drive button in BlazBlue. In Blazblue it does all kinds of special character-specific moves for everyone, in MVC3 it's just a launcher. Not sure having the Special button in MvC3 act like the Drive button would have made things easier for people, but I bet it would have made people having a hard time with the game feel like they were doing more since the Drive button was a one button special move.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Death&Return of Superman View Post
    It would probably be good if they removed movement commands. Those seem to be a barrier for a lot of people getting into fighting games, and some seemingly can never get the hang of them for whatever reason. For the last few years I've been wondering what it would be like if instead of command moves they did it like an RPG. So instead of quarter circle forward for fireball, you just held the right trigger and that modified the face buttons into one button Specials that use meter to execute. So instead of worrying about how to pull off a move, players just had to think about stuff on screen, like character placement, meter, and how fast or slow the move is—stuff like that.

There's some fighting game with robots that came out last year I think that kind of did something like this. But they also put cool downs on the moves which is something I wouldn't do, I just have them be governed by meter and animations.

That all said, MvC3 is a pretty easy game to get into. I'd say it was Capcom making a fighting game for normal people. It's probably why you've only got three normal attacks by that game. Would have been better if the Special button in MvC3 like the special Drive button in BlazBlue. In Blazblue it does all kinds of special character-specific moves for everyone, in MVC3 it's just a launcher. Not sure having the Special button in MvC3 act like the Drive button would have made things easier for people, but I bet it would have made people having a hard time with the game feel like they were doing more since the Drive button was a one button special move.
    Do you mean Warframe, by any chance?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Do you mean Warframe, by any chance?
    No, this was a 2D fighting game. Had to look it up since I couldn't remember the name...

The game was called Rising Thunder, it ended a bit after they got bought up by Riot Games (the League of Legends guys) guys this year. Maybe that means Riot Games is getting in the fighting game business, which would make since given it's another big E-Sports thing; or maybe they just bought them for the GGPO net code. Either way, the way you do specials in Rising Thunder isn't command motion based, it's just a bottom press like doing a move in Diablo would be. It doesn't seem to quite work like I'd do it, but it's basically exactly the same too. I'd just remove the cool down and just use meter, (because that's how I like it in RPGs) and I'd use the tigger buttons as Special modifiers like Drangons Dogma does so the player could have more than three moves.

No, this was a 2D fighting game. Had to look it up since I couldn't remember the name...

The game was called Rising Thunder, it ended a bit after they got bought up by Riot Games (the League of Legends guys) guys this year. Maybe that means Riot Games is getting in the fighting game business, which would make since given it's another big E-Sports thing; or maybe they just bought them for the GGPO net code. Either way, the way you do specials in Rising Thunder isn't command motion based, it's just a bottom press like doing a move in Diablo would be. It doesn't seem to quite work like I'd do it, but it's basically exactly the same too. I'd just remove the cool down and just use meter, (because that's how I like it in RPGs) and I'd use the tigger buttons as Special modifiers like Drangons Dogma does so the player could have more than three moves.
    Looks interesting, anyway. I might check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Looks interesting, anyway. I might check it out. Thanks.
    I'm not sure you can anymore.

I'm not sure you can anymore.
    That's a shame, then.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Character placement, meter and frames of moves will always matter. Movements commands and one button specials with cooldowns don't make a difference when it comes to this. Making execution easier is not going to bring in casuals. The fundamental problem with fighting games will still be present.

The real reason they don't catch on with people is because they are 1v1 affairs. Every major competitive game genre is team based. If I suck at a game like League or Overwatch it's not a big deal as can depend on my teammates to pick up the slack, blame them if I lose, get instant satisfaction when I land a kill or complete an objective and depending on the game get rewarded for every little thing. Fighters don't have any of that. You lose it's all on you. No one to blame, no one to carry you, game not giving you pats in the back for effort. It's unforgiving if you lose and a lot of people don't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Character placement, meter and frames of moves will always matter. Movements commands and one button specials with cooldowns don't make a difference when it comes to this. Making execution easier is not going to bring in casuals. The fundamental problem with fighting games will still be present.

The real reason they don't catch on with people is because they are 1v1 affairs. Every major competitive game genre is team based. If I suck at a game like League or Overwatch it's not a big deal as can depend on my teammates to pick up the slack, blame them if I lose, get instant satisfaction when I land a kill or complete an objective and depending on the game get rewarded for every little thing. Fighters don't have any of that. You lose it's all on you. No one to blame, no one to carry you, game not giving you pats in the back for effort. It's unforgiving if you lose and a lot of people don't like that.
    I didn't say those things wouldn't matter. I said eliminating the barrier of movement commands would put the focus just on those things. Anyone that plays fightings I'm sure knows this, but lots of people just have a hard time doing moves. Some people just give up on them because on top of worrying about the things they see on screen they also have to worry about consistently being able to do moves, or just being able to do them at all. On top of that, with something like Marvel Vs Capcom, where for some people it's just fanservice thing, they just want to play as they're favor Marvel character or whatever, the types of movement commands a character has could be a hindrance to them enjoy whatever character it is they like.

That doesn't even make sense, the bit about them not catching on because they're 1v1. First off, they already did catch on. They were like the biggest gaming genre for a while in the '90s. Being just two being fighting each other did nothing to stop that. What put a dent in it was 3D games, and a change in gameplay style. Only that only put a dent into 2D fighters, as 3D ones where still big for years. The thing that probably hurt them both is they get progressively more complicated in their systems as the years go by. Now if you're talking about them being a competitive thing—just being two people fighting makes them they easiest of games for people to just sit down an actually watch being played. The competitive scene for MOBAs was likely helped along to where it is by being a genre of game that's been completely free; not only is it free to get into, but they grew out of WarCraft 3, one of the biggest games around.

If you think you can depend on your teammates if you suck in MOBAs like League of Legends & DOTA I can only guess you've never played the games. Not only can you not depend on your team, you will likely be yelled at by everyone.

I didn't say those things wouldn't matter. I said eliminating the barrier of movement commands would put the focus just on those things. Anyone that plays fightings I'm sure knows this, but lots of people just have a hard time doing moves. Some people just give up on them because on top of worrying about the things they see on screen they also have to worry about consistently being able to do moves, or just being able to do them at all. On top of that, with something like Marvel Vs Capcom, where for some people it's just fanservice thing, they just want to play as they're favor Marvel character or whatever, the types of movement commands a character has could be a hindrance to them enjoy whatever character it is they like.

That doesn't even make sense, the bit about them not catching on because they're 1v1. First off, they already did catch on. They were like the biggest gaming genre for a while in the '90s. Being just two being fighting each other did nothing to stop that. What put a dent in it was 3D games, and a change in gameplay style. Only that only put a dent into 2D fighters, as 3D ones where still big for years. The thing that probably hurt them both is they get progressively more complicated in their systems as the years go by. Now if you're talking about them being a competitive thing—just being two people fighting makes them they easiest of games for people to just sit down an actually watch being played. The competitive scene for MOBAs was likely helped along to where it is by being a genre of game that's been completely free; not only is it free to get into, but they grew out of WarCraft 3, one of the biggest games around.

If you think you can depend on your teammates if you suck in MOBAs like League of Legends & DOTA I can only guess you've never played the games. Not only can you not depend on your team, you will likely be yelled at by everyone.
    Execution is a fundamental part of fighting games. Eliminating command motions isn't going to help with that. Especially for a game like Marvel where advance techniques like wave dashing are execution heavy. The best thing for casuals would be a simple mode that gives them auto combos, one button specials and supers if they can't handle the normal way of doing things. UMvC3 and Blazblue have those modes.

Mascot platformers were popular in the 90s too and those don't exist anymore outside of Mario and Sonic games. 3D games didn't hurt fighters much as games like Tekken, DoA and Virtua Fighter were popular games at the time and are still going. While the concept of fighting games are easy for people but actually learning them isn't. The concept of footsies, cancels, oki, meatys, anti-air, grab techs, etc ain't things most games teach the player and they are important in learning the game. Then there's game's system to learn on top of all that.

Rumor going around at NeoGaf that MvC4 will be announced at PSX next week
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319710

There was someone else saying a few weeks back that the game was going to be shown of sometime soon too, although I didn't know much about them, so it was hard to say how true it was. That poster though is saying an announcement is coming in seven days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    There was someone else saying a few weeks back that the game was going to be shown of sometime soon too, although I didn't know much about them, so it was hard to say how true it was. That poster though is saying an announcement is coming in seven days.
    Yoga flame said it. He uploads vids. He dropped hints of SFV as well and hasn't posted anything not true.